Best way to get eggs?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jayrey

Jul 29, 2019
Okay guys, so I need a lot of eggs...and I mean...A LOT of eggs...I have a chicken farm set up but It's just not cutting it, I'm using about 3 times more eggs than I'm producing, so does anyone have any tips on a good way to get more eggs?

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Last time I used the kaka flower thing I made a hole in the ground with a hopper in the bottom pointed to 2 bspaced barrels, one for Eggs and one for feathers, then as I got Eggs and found chickens in the world filled the hole with about 50 birds. Cover the top of the hole and walk away.
Eggs, and feathers for daaaaaays!

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
Last time I used the kaka flower thing I made a hole in the ground with a hopper in the bottom pointed to 2 bspaced barrels, one for Eggs and one for feathers, then as I got Eggs and found chickens in the world filled the hole with about 50 birds. Cover the top of the hole and walk away.

Arent the chickens ending up in the walls and suffocating?

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah there used to be a one-block solution involving stuffing a bazillion chickens into one block with a hopper underneath them? But no idea if it still works or not.

I still have a soft spot for Dataless videos from a few years ago when I was just learning vanilla minecraft... this was his egg farm (he begins explaining how it works at the 2:00 mark)

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
Never really had a problem with them suffocating in the walls but I only put a few in the hole early on. Doesn't take long to have plenty.

Reactions: RedBoss

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Excellent way tank your servers and any clients in loading range performance...

Don't keep mobs/animals captured unless they have at least 1-1.5 blocks floor space each. AI pathing is THE most resource intensive thing in the game, and when they start glitching each other into the walls it goes through the roof...

Reactions: ChemE and asb3pe

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Never had a problem in my single player games.
Basically your game works like this: Your CPU calculates EVERYTHING it needs to calculate each passthrough(tick) and if the time it takes is less than 1/20th of a second you are probably fine.

So if you do some stupid tricks that use up enormous amounts of time to calculate each tick, but generally got nothing else going on, then sure go ahead. But later down the line you might add some machines, automation, magic mods etc. and suddenly all the the little additions have added up with your "chicken hole of stupidity" and gone over the normal tick time. And now you got "lag".

Yeah, but multiplayer multiplies the burden by the amount of players doing that thing.
Yeah, on servers you are most likely to be running much closer to the tick time limit just from all the people building normal stuff, a lot of overcomplicated, oversized and probably a number of similar stupid contraptions.

I have seen both server and client(those in range of it) performances brought to their knees more times than I can count on my hands by people stuffing too many animals in their pens, villagers breeding out of control in a house or similar.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreenZombie