Best way to get eggs?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
I have seen both server and client(those in range of it) performances brought to their knees more times than I can count on my hands by people stuffing too many animals in their pens, villagers breeding out of control in a house or similar.

And the absolute worst is when you have a stuffed hopper without overflow.

My server can take a pimped up Infinity mod-pack, with 10+ people having all their high-tech bases running at full capacity, and not break a sweat.

One day, I find my server doing 3TPS with a CPU stuck at a 100% and not budging a pixel. Some Opis later, I found the culprit: a 3x3 fence with 8 chickens in it, a hopper underneath with a chest filled to the brim with eggs. The hopper alone was hogging up 85% of the CPU time and brought everything down to its knees. Broke the hopper, killed the chickens, and usage dropped down again to 20% instantly. And this isn't the first time I had to rescue a server cos of a hopper full of eggs, saplings from a treefarm and such nonsense.

Moral is: When using hoppers, always make sure to have an overflow plan - dense tube trashcan or something - as it can break a server and make an absolute mess for days.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
A Transfer node with a couple world interaction upgrades would probably be better and cheaper.

Someone should make a mod that allows you to turn off that roaming of tamed animals. Either as a base edit of animal classes to act as a utility or as a gameplay mechanic linked to items or blocks. Like for chickens as an example; the mod could add a chicken coop that the chicken enters to lay eggs. The chicken would technically be phased out of the world and the coop would just be an egg generator. Or a feeder that turns off animals wandering and pathfinding script.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
A Transfer node with a couple world interaction upgrades would probably be better and cheaper.

Someone should make a mod that allows you to turn off that roaming of tamed animals. Either as a base edit of animal classes to act as a utility or as a gameplay mechanic linked to items or blocks. Like for chickens as an example; the mod could add a chicken coop that the chicken enters to lay eggs. The chicken would technically be phased out of the world and the coop would just be an egg generator. Or a feeder that turns off animals wandering and pathfinding script.

Yeah, there's several ways available to stop animals from moving. But pretty sure they all do it by applying slowness. And that doesn't remove the AIs pathing, it just makes it unsuccessful.

It might however make things a little lighter for server/clients due to no need for position updates. And could prevent wall glitching in pens where there is plenty of space...

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Ive had a server's tps tank because a 11x11 sheep pen, with decorative fences making pens, screwed with the sheep pathing AI enough that the 10 or so sheep in it were a significant CPU overhead.

Animals, on servers, need to be free range, or you will suffer the admins wrath.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
I might experiment with a chicken breeder over a 3x3 patch of soulsand. Could be worth trying for vanilla collection, as soulsand isn't considered a full block for hopper collection.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Best solutions is IMO simply a reasonably large pen with 1-1.5 blocks space per chicken at least. The enclosure should preferably be build with solid full sized blocks at least 2 blocks tall.
Then stick a Gather Golem, Hopperhock, Item Collector, Vacuum Hopper or similar in the middle to pick up eggs, feather etc.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
MFR rancher also collects eggs. Also milks cows.
But seriously the classes that dictate mob pathing must be super complex. An ingame mechanic or utility mod that switches off mob pathing you think would have been done already. That or a propper tweak. Like if the game detects multiple cows in a chunk their pathing turns off. Like if they are in a group they stay still.