Best Start for Unleashed?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Trunks9809

Jul 29, 2019
Only downside I see with the jungel wood are the vines. You "lose" energie to harvest them and just void them. Since they have no use at all. ( to my knowledge)

Can't you make plantballs out of them and then use those to make biofuel for even more powahz?

Rangelkent

Jul 29, 2019
uhh, this one is new isn´t it? never noticed it in Ultimate. So I can solve this much easier then I thought :)

and yes, harvester chopps down everything, and this trees can grow realy realy high. :)
3x3 tree? I would have to go into tree breeding I´m sure there is something of this kind.

Only downside I see with the jungel wood are the vines. You "lose" energie to harvest them and just void them. Since they have no use at all. ( to my knowledge)
I use the vines for thaumcraft research, but yeah, you get too much if it :p

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
The easiest, legit power curve I use for early-ish game are magmatic engines:
  1. Mine for starter metals and coal
  2. Stirling or Clockwork powering Pulverizer for ore multiplier
  3. Mine more for iron, ferrous, and to find lava in overworld (Nether works as well)
  4. Re-locate to same chunk huge lava pool(s) are in
  5. Manual cactus farm for waterproof pipe
  6. Magmatic Engines on overworld lava
1 Lava bucket lasts for a while in a Magmatic Engine and they make good early-game power at 5 MJ/t. The key is to being flexible enough to re-locate to the same chunk that a huge lava pool is in. Otherwise, you're looking at either a chunk loader (not cheap for early game) or Nether lava plus Liquid Tesseracts (also not cheap).
  1. 1 or more Quarries (now you have enough power to actually power it/them)
  2. Managed Tree Farm for saplings and apples to eventually make into Ethanol (Biofuel)
  3. Wood from Tree Farm into Charcoal
  4. Railcraft Steam Power --> Industrial Steam Engines from charcoal and biofuel
  5. AE for inventory and crafting
  6. etc., etc.
1 Managed Tree Farm is enough for 2 or 3 36HP boilers, which is good for several hundred MJ/t, which is enough to propel you to "end game" whatever. In my experience, progression is limited more by renewable, automated power than anything else. After the 1st 64x64 quarry, raw materials are rarely an issue unless you're going for Solar Arrays, which eat copper like nothing else, even after the Force --> Integrated Circuit boost.

Next world, however, I'd like to be a "sun worshipper", limit my mining to a minimum, and use 0 quarries, turtles, or other automated earth-raping technologies. This means bees, bees, and more bees ! Slow, yes, but MC is about having fun and self challenges are always fun.

A really challenging start would be using Biomes of Plenty and NetherOres, going into the Nether with a "starter kit" of a few clockwork engines, pulverizer, EE3 stone, and staying in the Nether for good. A 1-way trip to Hell. Water would be a problem, though... Might have to setup a (water) pump plus liquid tesseract in the overworld first, though.

Also, I wonder if managed arboretums would work on Nether Biomes of Plenty trees.[DOUBLEPOST=1375824746][/DOUBLEPOST]
Get a vanilla sapling
Create a multifarm - smalles is ok
Make a peat-farm
Make a peat-engine
Power the mulitfarm with peat
Collect the saplings
Put saplings in fermenter
Start your bio-mass engine and collect the power.

Thats where i am right now.

Yes, very efficient, renewable, and can be completely automated without stuff blowing up, assuming you use a chunk loader. IMHO, managed tree multifarms are a bit OP for power generation. The saplings, apples, and wood are generated at a good clip and if you use all of them, you can power 2 or more 36HP boilers to produce ~300 MJ/t gross. Net power is less since the fermenters, stills, squeezers, furnaces, etc.,. all use power, but still well over 200 MJ/t net.

Getting that much power via Solar would be....ugh.

Reactions: TaintedHorizon

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
I did never use multifarmes before and testet the otehr day in atest world. First issue I saw is that you have to automize the dirt and sapling ins some kind of way since the farm itself does not do this. Am I right or just don´t know how to use it? Also I wasn´t abel to find some good guide for them since forestry seems to had a lot of changes and all videos are outdated.

The classless

Jul 29, 2019
make a 9x9 make power generation
make cool main base far from the 9x9
once finished move to base
brag about in the forums
profit???

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
To run one boiler you need about 18 coal coke ovens to make wood to charcoal. A bonus is also cresote oil that can be used in liquid boiler to.
Just use Powered Furnaces/any kind of furnace to cook your logs into charcoal-- coke ovens are extremely slow for that task.

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019
I did never use multifarmes before and testet the otehr day in atest world. First issue I saw is that you have to automize the dirt and sapling ins some kind of way since the farm itself does not do this. Am I right or just don´t know how to use it? Also I wasn´t abel to find some good guide for them since forestry seems to had a lot of changes and all videos are outdated.

They are very easy to use. If you use the basic multifarm with oaktree you only need to look up apatite. With peat-farm/engines you will get ash and then you can make 16 fertilizer instead of 8 and with you find a apatite-source you can get about 6 stacks of it :D

You need to provide dirt and water but the water can be put in with buckets in the start. You can start the farm with 7 saplings and within a few hours you can have surplus of saplings for biofuel.

Right now I have a sterling engine that I put coal or peat in for it to run until I get a chunkloader. The saplings goes to my fermenter and I have a wheat farm (just simple farm) for compost for fermenter.

A bio-engine makes MJ for my other machines and the peat-farm (also not multifarm yet) provides energy.[DOUBLEPOST=1375885909][/DOUBLEPOST]
Just use Powered Furnaces/any kind of furnace to cook your logs into charcoal-- coke ovens are extremely slow for that task.

It cost wood for charcoal and wood for fuel. Coke oven dont need fuel for that. But it could be interested to test.

Benjywa

Jul 29, 2019
Just a quick one to be thrown out there regarding the whole treefarm to solid boilers thing. I was toasting wood to make charcoal then I switched to sawmills.

8 wood to 8 charcoal 1600 x 8 = 12800 heat
8 wood to 48 planks + 1 charcoal (sawdust toasted) = 16000 heat
obviously you need to minus off the cost of 8 wood in furnace vs 1 toasted sawdust and 8 sawmill processes but it looks like it makes sense to switch to sawmills
I don't know how many MJ 1 process costs for the sawmill so cant do the maths

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
... it looks like it makes sense to switch to sawmills
It does make sense on paper, but logs are so easy to stockpile and convert to charcoal, I quit building sawmills. My single 16x16 MFR tree farm is powering two LP36 boilers and I have stockpiled almost half a million charcoal in just 4 (maybe 5?) weeks. I don't see the practical benefit of adding the mess/complication of sawmills to the process.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
It does make sense on paper, but logs are so easy to stockpile and convert to charcoal, I quit building sawmills. My single 16x16 MFR tree farm is powering two LP36 boilers and I have stockpiled almost half a million charcoal in just 4 (maybe 5?) weeks. I don't see the practical benefit of adding the mess/complication of sawmills to the process.

If it makes sense on paper it also will in game. Another thing is that you do not have the need to optimize your setup the most you can.

Without redoing the math, and watch into the changes from Ultimate to unleashed. I can say that the setup is actually very easy, just send all logs into a Enderchest and then from there to as many sawmills as needed to keep up with the log amount.

Planks from sawmills to the boilers and done. If you have AE-system running even more easy to make and automized. I did so in Ultimate and had about 8(if I remember right) 36 HP Boilers running on it and still overflow of planks. 2 sawmills/ boiler.

How do you make the charcoal? Furnace or Coke Oven? - Thats the big question here I think.

to be honest I never used Coke Ovens, but I understand that they can turn logs into charcoal without any cost of fuel?
In this case and in case charcoal is the way you wanna go and not planks, Coke ovens are the most profitable way.

Furnaces still do a great job and I personally prefer so “lose” some energy to make them work then setting up 16 Coke ovens/ Boiler.

But most profit ist still Coke oven I think.

Benjywa

Jul 29, 2019
Currently I am running 5 soild boilers from 1 induction furnce... it may not be as efficient as a bunch of coke overs but it does take up a bit less space!

On reflection you can
build a load of 36 block stuctures
be efficient and build 10 sawmills
Build 1 induction furnace

Coke ovens seem to drop out of the picture for me... as nice as big builds are I think 10 sawmils is big enough and it would look good and efficient with engines and redstone conduits everywhere
Exp bus on chest - pipes - mills - pipes - chest w import bus + ME interface to fab table to same chest and cook the dusts

or build 1 induction furnace
Call me lazy but I will stick with the furnace

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
The way I did / am doing my current Unleashed start is as follows:

1. Manual mining
  2. Find diamonds, don't harvest them
  3. Stirling engine + pulverizer + powered furnace
  4. Igneous extruder (for a single obsidian)
  5. Dartcraft fortune pick for diamonds + Dartcraft luck sword for ender pearls
  6. Mining turtle
  7. Ender tanks + enderthermic pump in nether
  8. Geothermal generators + magmatic engines
  9. Quarry
  10. Auto Mass fab
  11. HV solar array
  12. Logistics pipes
  13. Bees
If I were to restart, there are a couple things that I'd probably do differently, but the gist of it would be the same.

Lava is the best early-to-mid game power source. Period. And the only thing that's stopping it from being the best late game power source is that there's no good way to automate moving the pump. (Turtles can work, but then you have the issue of chunkloading, and what happens if you go into an area with no lava?) Lava is also good for both MJ and EU power, which most things aren't. That being said, a MFR tree farm is also a possibility.

I might bump the automation up earlier, though. Logistics pipes is just such a time saver.

Bees are mainly a timesuck. Yes they are fun, and yes they have great rewards, but personally they aren't worth the amount of time you need to put in except in very rare cases. Same with IC2 crops. So I wouldn't go with bees if you want the most efficient start.

And as for the coke oven versus sawmills versus induction furnace thing, it depends on what your priorities are. This game I've been aiming to keep as much as possible within a 5-chunk cross (3x3 chunk area with the corners cut out.) As such, I would end up going for the induction furnace, as it's more compact. Coke ovens take up a lot of space, sawmills take up less space, and an induction furnace takes up almost no space. That being said, coke ovens give you creosote oil, and sawmills are more efficient than an induction furnace. Tradeoffs, as usual.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
And as for the coke oven versus sawmills versus induction furnace thing, it depends on what your priorities are. This game I've been aiming to keep as much as possible within a 5-chunk cross (3x3 chunk area with the corners cut out.) As such, I would end up going for the induction furnace, as it's more compact. Coke ovens take up a lot of space, sawmills take up less space, and an induction furnace takes up almost no space. That being said, coke ovens give you creosote oil, and sawmills are more efficient than an induction furnace. Tradeoffs, as usual.

There is also one option, steam oven. It is the easiest one to automate, just put it next to the boiler and pump wood into it. Boiler will automatically take charcoal from it (like from other inventories placed next to it).

boclfon479

Jul 29, 2019
cover an entire chunk in the highest tier power cells, and then have each filling up a separate MFSU

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
There is also one option, steam oven. It is the easiest one to automate, just put it next to the boiler and pump wood into it. Boiler will automatically take charcoal from it (like from other inventories placed next to it).
Biggest issue with that is that it's much harder to start up, as you can't really power it from alternative sources. I wouldn't trust it, especially considering the number of times I've had boilers randomly reset.

Also I'm pretty sure a steam oven is overkill, and inefficient in most cases.

A steam oven makes 9 charcoal in 256 ticks, or 28.4... ticks /charcoal. A max size steam boiler uses 1 charcoal every 404 ticks, or something like 14.2 full-size HP boilers per steam oven. Yeah, definite overkill. Also, a steam oven uses 8 buckets of steam per 9 smelts, or something like 178MJ per smelt (8000/9/5), which sounds really good on paper. Unfortunately, it uses the same amount of steam per smelt if it smelts 1 item or 9, which means that it will start using a lot more steam comparatively without additional automation.