Best Start for Unleashed?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
4. Once you have this you can slowly expend form this. But I feel MFR Tree Farms very strong for early-Mid game energie. Even without fertilizers. Once you get a emerald upgrade on planter and harvester you can easylie suppoort 6 or more 36 HP Boillers.
they actually really strong. if you feed it with unlimited&free IC2 fertilizer( although animal farm+ composter can do the same but with less space efficiency). 1 2x2 jungle tree farm can easily supply 4-5 boilers, if you utilize not only it`s wood...

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Are you saying to use saplings for biofuel?

I use oak trees for charcoal and am going to turn the apples into biofuel at some point. Just getting into forestry.

iNd3x

Jul 29, 2019
I would do the usual boring mining,
grindstone really early, (although i have yet to personally use it :p)
make a small manual treefarm for charcoal
use whatever mod you like to double your ores, i prefer ic2, but would like to try the smeltery from tinker's construct
mine more
process
mine more
automate treefarm
job done!

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Are you saying to use saplings for biofuel?

I use oak trees for charcoal and am going to turn the apples into biofuel at some point. Just getting into forestry.
saplings too. i prefer 2x2 trees, because they have higher yield of wood, saplings and leaves per fertilizer. if there are trees with 3x3 trunk, that can be processed by mfr, that could on hell of a tree farm:eek:

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
if you process the leaves, you dont get saplings, I thought? And when I ran a jungle tree in my MFR harvester, it only went up like 15 blocks and left the top of the tree untouched, I had to chop it down by hand to get rid of it.

Redpower adds 3x3 rubber trees, but the 2x2 jungle trees are taller. I assume you get more charcoal due to the height of the tree? If I turn off my harvester my oak trees will end up creating walls of trunks until the whole area is almost solid. I didnt think trees would grow that close together, but they do.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
if you process the leaves, you dont get saplings, I thought? And when I ran a jungle tree in my MFR harvester, it only went up like 15 blocks and left the top of the tree untouched, I had to chop it down by hand to get rid of it.

Redpower adds 3x3 rubber trees, but the 2x2 jungle trees are taller. I assume you get more charcoal due to the height of the tree? If I turn off my harvester my oak trees will end up creating walls of trunks until the whole area is almost solid. I didnt think trees would grow that close together, but they do.
dont forget we are talking about unleashed, which doesnt have RP2. in ultimate harvester didnt cut top part of the jungle tree but in unleashed they cut all of it now.
in latest version of forestry vanilla saplings has been nerfed and only give 250 mb of biomass, but plantballs give 400, which seems to be a better deas, because you get leaves all of the time. plantballs also can be turned into a dirt and mixed with wheat for compost. just dont forget to use 2 harvesters if you want to utilize leaves :)

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
ahh. so you use one harvester on saplings which can probably feed 2 planters easily, then the second harvests leaves?

I send extra saplings to a bio generator at the moment, to help power the tree harvester and a small wheat farm. I run EU generators and redstone conduit from the bio generator to a harvester at the same time, it definitely doesnt cause problems, and looks to use both power sources at the same time.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
ahh. so you use one harvester on saplings which can probably feed 2 planters easily, then the second harvests leaves?
right, except i use 1 planter, because 1 recycler without overclockers(i.e. fertilizer source) can only keep up with 1 planter.

how many eu generators you`re running?

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Three, but one of them basically is dedicated to the ME network that is receiving the wood from the harvester. Im a bit lost on why you run two harvesters. I dont even run fertilizer at all. I have over 100K charcoal stored up, havent really ever seen a need to get fertilizer. Here is a bad screenshot of my setup:

Kif8AUi.jpg

I have the gold upgrade on the harvester and planter for the trees. At this point i had taken power from the planter, normally it is full of saplings, etc.

This keeps 5 redpower furnaces going almost non stop with charcoal.

im still confused as to what your setup is sorry. :)

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
2013_07_24_21_58_08.png
here is my test setup. i run 2 harvester so i could partially sheer and harvest leaves at same time, without risk of running out of saplings. i use induction furnace and electrical engine, so there is no overflow, thus i ended up with using 5 generators as bare minimum, although i think i should add 6th. fertilizer supply is done by recycler that feeds scrap int crafting table that turns it into fertilizer. such setup starts a hp boiler directly, and after first one is at max it can start second with just charcoal.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
You need more generators than I do because Im using redpower (which you dont have obviously) to turn the logs into charcoal. I used a ME network, thats 1/3 of my EU draw anyway.

ill have to look into fertilizer, your build is very interesting thanks for showing it to me. :)

caramba2564

Jul 29, 2019
Am I the only one that goes for lava? I mean, the Nether has a huuuge lava lake right under my portal. I just made the Enderthermic Lava Pump (Or something like that; the Extra Utilities pump), setup a small iron tank in the Overworld as a buffer and I can now use magmatic engines and geothermals as I'd like.

Tip: If you want very early MJ production, make a clockwork engine. No fuel to run. It just needs about 8 seconds of hold-right-click to generate a good amount of power.

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
Only just started Unleashed.
Personally Generator\Electrical Engine\Pulverizer. Still working towards Geo Thermal Gen. Love those little baby endermen though. Was to hard trying to get an enderman to keep attacking before them.
Nether...Mining Pump\Endertank\GeoThermal. Endertank ontop of Geo equals awsome power gen.
Have to say though I am finding Diamonds in Unleashed to be very hard to find. But then they should be hard to get at the start ay!

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
Well over a week old this post, but I needed some time to get my basics running.

I´m tring to get the MFR tree farm working now and feed a Boiler with it. But turns out it´s not as strong as I thoguht or I´m doing it wrong.

here my setup:

1 Harvester
1 Planter
1 Slug-boiler (damn poision/Hunger -_-)
1 Composer (filled by a 4x4 Sewer farm)
1 Fertilizer
2 Sawmills
3 Steam-Engines
tonts of BC pipes to connect all.
wood/Cobblestone conduits

- I just use 1 Oak Tree(thoguht it was enoguht).
- All the saplings go into planter and the overflow I just store.
- Logs go into sawmills (1 sawmill maybe enoguht)
- Planks go into the steam engines to power all machines.
- When engines are full with planks my plan was to feed a 36 HP boiler with it.

I think I aimed to high. But I was sure it would work since you said that you feed 4-5 Boilers with a 2x2 Jungel farm. Does it change that much? or should I turn the logs into charcoal instead of logs? Also the 3 engines keep up just barrly. I´m not sure if its the wooden conduits or something other.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
I have just started again in Unleashed with GregTech added and EE3, DartCraft removed and here is my progress

1. Get to Grindstone quickly for early ore doubling
2. Rushed Tinkers Construct. I am on a server so I needed to get all the Cobalt and Ardite early. Got half a stack of manyullyn ingots
3. Made world anchor and mining turtle. Used OreQuarry program.
4. Set up simple AE unit with clockwork engines
5. Set up hobbyist steam engines for constant power supply and basic TE machines.
6. Set up a more permanent residence

That's it so far. But my target is to create a room for every mod. And each room will have every block/item. When I have finished those rooms, then I will have hit end game.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
difference in output between 1x1 tree and 2x2 is roughly 4-5 times per tree. the higher and bigger tree is, the less fertilizer you need. provided enough power, harvesters work FAST, so you might want to consider adding at least 1-2 engines.

you might want to compare heat value of 6 planks to 1 charcoal and go with what have higher value, but i heard that plank has been nerfed recently, so charcoal is probably way to go.

i also highly recommend using induction furnace or two, because of its speed and internal buffer, instead of bunch of powered furnaces.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
difference in output between 1x1 tree and 2x2 is roughly 4-5 times per tree. the higher and bigger tree is, the less fertilizer you need. provided enough power, harvesters work FAST, so you might want to consider adding at least 1-2 engines.

you might want to compare heat value of 6 planks to 1 charcoal and go with what have higher value, but i heard that plank has been nerfed recently, so charcoal is probably way to go.

i also highly recommend using induction furnace or two, because of its speed and internal buffer, instead of bunch of powered furnaces.

Ok make sence. I will do it 2x2 with jungel and add some engines. (easy to do in my setup)
What seems to be more difficult is the Induction furnace. This means I need EU so I will have to change everything from the steam engines to generatores?

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Ok make sence. I will do it 2x2 with jungel and add some engines. (easy to do in my setup)
What seems to be more difficult is the Induction furnace. This means I need EU so I will have to change everything from the steam engines to generatores?
you can change engines to generator, that`s how i do in my setup, but if engines are fine for you, you can just change one of them to generator, or add one instead.

tonic316

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a good getting started guide to producing bio mass and using steam boilers? I literally know nothing about those 2 things but can setup a complicated AE system :/

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a good getting started guide to producing bio mass and using steam boilers? I literally know nothing about those 2 things but can setup a complicated AE system :/

Get a vanilla sapling
Create a multifarm - smalles is ok
Make a peat-farm
Make a peat-engine
Power the mulitfarm with peat
Collect the saplings
Put saplings in fermenter
Start your bio-mass engine and collect the power.

Thats where i am right now.

Reactions: MigukNamja