Best Start for Unleashed?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Well over a week old this post, but I needed some time to get my basics running.

I´m tring to get the MFR tree farm working now and feed a Boiler with it. But turns out it´s not as strong as I thoguht or I´m doing it wrong.

here my setup:

1 Harvester
1 Planter
1 Slug-boiler (damn poision/Hunger -_-)
1 Composer (filled by a 4x4 Sewer farm)
1 Fertilizer
2 Sawmills
3 Steam-Engines
tonts of BC pipes to connect all.
wood/Cobblestone conduits

- I just use 1 Oak Tree(thoguht it was enoguht).
- All the saplings go into planter and the overflow I just store.
- Logs go into sawmills (1 sawmill maybe enoguht)
- Planks go into the steam engines to power all machines.
- When engines are full with planks my plan was to feed a 36 HP boiler with it.

I think I aimed to high. But I was sure it would work since you said that you feed 4-5 Boilers with a 2x2 Jungel farm. Does it change that much? or should I turn the logs into charcoal instead of logs? Also the 3 engines keep up just barrly. I´m not sure if its the wooden conduits or something other.

Im probably missing something but I dont see why people use fertilizer, when you can just upgrade the size and let the sun be your 'fertilizer'. The upgrades are a small one time cost, vs producing fertilizer constantly for a single tree. I think I have almost 500K charcoal sitting in two DSUs at the moment, even after using charcoal to run all my ore processing and turtles for mining. Admittedly not a big operation, but i had 20 generators plus mining turtles, and didnt even run the tree farm 24/7 for quite awhile in the beginning. Oak trees also give you apples so its free food in the beginning and now I have about 30K applies stored up which i think ill make into fuel at some point.

Reactions: AlanEsh

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
Wow I must say I'm not a fan of the multifarms ! In Mindcrack it was mostly my only option on my server because steve carts were disabled ! Now I tend to use steve carts to start off with and then build a huge tree farm with MFR ( max size ) and this farm runs on jungle wood. This can supply 10 boilers or more as far as iv tried by using it to turn into charcoal! I then setup 2 boilers dedicated to its own power so one for mj and one for eu. After that I tend to do what feels best to me !

I do feel that dart craft engines with water or milk as a throttle is a little too cheaty for my liking but that's my opinion !

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Im probably missing something but I dont see why people use fertilizer, when you can just upgrade the size and let the sun be your 'fertilizer'. The upgrades are a small one time cost, vs producing fertilizer constantly for a single tree. I think I have almost 500K charcoal sitting in two DSUs at the moment, even after using charcoal to run all my ore processing and turtles for mining. Admittedly not a big operation, but i had 20 generators plus mining turtles, and didnt even run the tree farm 24/7 for quite awhile in the beginning. Oak trees also give you apples so its free food in the beginning and now I have about 30K applies stored up which i think ill make into fuel at some point.

because using fertilizer allow a more compact build. this is basically essential on public servers, where land claiming is necessity and space is limited.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019

Simple, space and style xD on my ultimate Server I had also a max sice farm without fertilizer and it just ran great as you said. Now I made my base on a mautain peak, and do not want to waste a lot of space. And since fertilizer is easy to get(ic2 even more easy) I find it a good way to make this smaller.

I will try it out with generators today and 2x2 jungel trees. Also I want to try a Forestry multi farm with force trees to see if I can make force engine power plant

Wow I must say I'm not a fan of the multifarms ! In Mindcrack it was mostly my only option on my server because steve carts were disabled ! Now I tend to use steve carts to start off with and then build a huge tree farm with MFR ( max size ) and this farm runs on jungle wood. This can supply 10 boilers or more as far as iv tried by using it to turn into charcoal! I then setup 2 boilers dedicated to its own power so one for mj and one for eu. After that I tend to do what feels best to me !

I do feel that dart craft engines with water or milk as a throttle is a little too cheaty for my liking but that's my opinion !

Two 36 Hp Boiler for maintaining the farm? Kind of overkill isn´t it?

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
because using fertilizer allow a more compact build. this is basically essential on public servers, where land claiming is necessity and space is limited.

Not only that. Fertilizer is also an easy way to control, how much wood you produce.

Too much wood in your system and you can apply a redstone signal to the Fertilizer (the actual MFR machine :)), now the supply only comes from the natural growth. Wood level gets to low, you switch off the redstone signal and the tree farm goes back into turbo mode again.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
Not only that. Fertilizer is also an easy way to control, how much wood you produce.

Too much wood in your system and you can apply a redstone signal to the Fertilizer (the actual MFR machine :)), now the supply only comes from the natural growth. Wood level gets to low, you switch off the redstone signal and the tree farm goes back into turbo mode again.

that you could do also to the harvester or the planter. You do not need a fertilizer.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019

Ok ive only ever played on a friend's server, how can space be limited in a basically unlimited world?

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
that you could do also to the harvester or the planter. You do not need a fertilizer.

This would be then an "all or nothing" system. I prefer to have the constant resource income from natural growth (maybe even boosted with a lilypad) and the ability to switch to high output only when needed. Like warming up a new boiler or having large spikes in energy consumption when working with the Extra Bee machines.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Ok ive only ever played on a friend's server, how can space be limited in a basically unlimited world?
when you claim land on server via server side plugin for grief protection, the claimed area is usually limited.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
My last restart was Ultimate 1.5.2 beta wgt; this would be easier with Unleashed:
Grinder for pre-power ore doubling
Pulverizer + Powered Furnace + TE's Steam Engines (Hobbyist are lower power output until you put them on a boiler)
Intermediate "free" mj power supply = 30 silver mirrors + 3 solar boilers + 3 Hobbyist Steam Engines to charge an Energy Cell buffer.
Intermediate "free" eu power supply = combination wind and water "tower of power" used to charge a couple of MFEs.
MFR Planter upgraded to Silver (15x15 area) with MFR Harvester upgraded to Quartz (19x19 harvest area). Without fertilizer, this is producing enough charcoal to run a pair of LP36 boilers and 18 Industrial Steam engines, with almost 400k extra charcoal in a DSU after a couple of weeks running.
2x Energy Tesseracts, 2x Item Tessearacts.
Quarry, Filler, other fun MJ-using stuff.
Next I will be adding 2 more LP36 boilers and 18 more ISEs. I am confident I will still be getting a surplus of charcoal.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019

or where you just can't place down chunk loaders willy nilly everywhere and have to think about how you'll fit your builds that need to be loaded into your loaded areas

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
OK just rebuild the Farm and I have to say its nearly a bit to OP, I think they should nerf jungel trees xD

Here some screens of it. (voidpiping everything atm cause I have no storage system working but do not want to shut the farm down xD)
In case someone want me to explain a bit more what I did just tell me. Oh, and please take in mind taht this is not the most optimized way!

all 3: http://imgur.com/Z5Ivnrn,fisywcF,1dTaXNn#0
http://i.imgur.com/Z5Ivnrn.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fisywcF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1dTaXNn.jpg

Machines used are:

-10 x Generators
-2 x Induction Furnace
-1 x Planter
-1 harvester
-2 x electrical engines
-1 x Composter
-1 xFertilizer
-16 xSawers

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
OK just rebuild the Farm and I have to say its nearly a bit to OP, I think they should nerf jungel trees xD

Here some screens of it. (voidpiping everything atm cause I have no storage system working but do not want to shut the farm down xD)
In case someone want me to explain a bit more what I did just tell me. Oh, and please take in mind taht this is not the most optimized way!
now imagine if there was a 3x3 tree...

build looks nice(except generator supply is a bid weird), but i`d like to know:
is composter able to keep up with harvester?
are furnaces able to keep up with batches of wood i.e. no overflow?

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
now imagine if there was a 3x3 tree...

build looks nice(except generator supply is a bid weird), but i`d like to know:
is composter able to keep up with harvester?
are furnaces able to keep up with batches of wood i.e. no overflow?

Since I have nearly no diamonds, I didn’t put that much overflow systems in there (diamonds pipes needed) and yes the generator supply I have to change. Just did build this stuff up before I went to bed and hurried a bit :p And Glass fibre cabel was so diamond hungry -_-

Had it half an hour running and composter and furnaces kept up. If I got 2 big trees, one after another there was little spikes were the Furnaces got full, but a part of that they mostly just have 1 slot occupied.

How would you make the generator supply? All over with iron-pipes or combine stone and cobble-stone pipes? Or just move them to be not a wall of generators?

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
How would you make the generator supply? All over with iron-pipes or combine stone and cobble-stone pipes? Or just move them to be not a wall of generators?
the simplest way is a line of generators with insertion pipes connected to bottom

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
the simplest way is a line of generators with insertion pipes connected to bottom

uhh, this one is new isn´t it? never noticed it in Ultimate. So I can solve this much easier then I thought :)

and yes, harvester chopps down everything, and this trees can grow realy realy high. :)
3x3 tree? I would have to go into tree breeding I´m sure there is something of this kind.

Only downside I see with the jungel wood are the vines. You "lose" energie to harvest them and just void them. Since they have no use at all. ( to my knowledge)

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
3x3 tree? I would have to go into tree breeding I´m sure there is something of this kind.

Only downside I see with the jungel wood are the vines. You "lose" energie to harvest them and just void them. Since they have no use at all. ( to my knowledge)
while harvester can chop forestry`s trees, planter and fertilizer dont work on them. so you them is a bit of an issue.
natura`s tree works fine, but i dont know if it has tree similar to 2x2 jungle tree but with annoying vines, or 3x3.
it`s probably a good idea to check out BoP trees as well.