Best Non-lava power source for FTB pack Unleashed

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

biomirth

Jul 29, 2019
Not tested it yet but I see a lot of MFR power supplies on the server I'm on. Mostly Harvesters on trees, and if that's a positive energy loop (via charcoal, biofuel, ethanol, and/or boilers) then that has got to be the easiest to get going. Personally I've fallen back on coal coke and hobbyists for the initial pulverizing, but the Dartcraft engine looks quite OP and MFR looks quite straightforward to setup. Maybe LP/HP boilers won't even be necessary?

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Not tested it yet but I see a lot of MFR power supplies on the server I'm on. Mostly Harvesters on trees, and if that's a positive energy loop (via charcoal, biofuel, ethanol, and/or boilers) then that has got to be the easiest to get going. Personally I've fallen back on coal coke and hobbyists for the initial pulverizing, but the Dartcraft engine looks quite OP and MFR looks quite straightforward to setup. Maybe LP/HP boilers won't even be necessary?
from what`ve tested, HP boilers are the best way to utilize unlimited charcoal that goes from MFR tree farms.

Reactions: AlanEsh

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
There aren't really that many options in IC2, which makes me wonder why such a popular mod hasn't ever gotten a popular "more engines" sub mod or something. GT doesn't count.

The best option in my opinion is MFR Biofuel. Make a 9x9 MFR farm with wheat, cocoa, nether wart, any tree (Natura's Sakura trees are amazing for saplings), potatoes and carrots and your Bio-reactors will never run out of it, even with the recent nerf on efficiency. You don't even need fertilizer, which would be difficult to get going anyway due to the sheer amount of it such a huge farm would use.

Reactions: 2122000nrm

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
There aren't really that many options in IC2, which makes me wonder why such a popular mod hasn't ever gotten a popular "more engines" sub mod or something. GT doesn't count.

The best option in my opinion is MFR Biofuel. Make a 9x9 MFR farm with wheat, cocoa, nether wart, any tree (Natura's Sakura trees are amazing for saplings), potatoes and carrots and your Bio-reactors will never run out of it, even with the recent nerf on efficiency. You don't even need fertilizer, which would be difficult to get going anyway due to the sheer amount of it such a huge farm would use.
i can only remember solar mods, which isnt what IC2 actually needs.

you can always use IC2 fertilizer which dirt cheap.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
In my beta pack world, I started with EU production relatively late. I had a bank of dartcraft engines (powered by force, throttled by milk) powering my major functions, and I set up a small (100EU/tick) nuke to power my AE system/processing centre. Kept that going for a while, as I had a bank of uranium stored up.

When I felt that it wasn't sustainable enough, I set up a 36HP boiler on biofuel pumping into industrial engines, but with (2x) turbines attached. When the MFSU got below 10%, it would deactivate the engines, power the splitter cable and turn on the nuke, netting me 500EU/tick when needed. Over time I augmented this with some MV solar panels, to reduce the number of cycles that the nuke/steel had to do.

2122000nrm

Jul 29, 2019
Spend the time to edit GT[quote="eric167, post: 371276, member: 62738"]a 6 chamber, well laid out fission reactor would be your best bet in this case, or large banks of ultimate solars. (BOO!!)
36HP boilers running turbines is a third option you can go for.

now, you CAN add gregtech to unleashed, but theres a few conflicts to work out. go here for that: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/unleashed-with-gregtech-id-conflict.27060/ see if you can get everyone else to add it in. you can disable some of the insane recipies.
on a side note, ive also disabled everything above advanced solar panels to encourage myself to branch out.

in, offer the modpack out to FTB, get famous. Saves me the trouble of doing the IDs.

Win-win?

I am not going to encourage Gregtech on my server, as I am not a moderator, nor an admin, some people don't like it and will not be happy.

The best option in my opinion is MFR Biofuel. Make a 9x9 MFR farm with wheat, cocoa, nether wart, any tree (Natura's Sakura trees are amazing for saplings), potatoes and carrots and your Bio-reactors will never run out of it, even with the recent nerf on efficiency. You don't even need fertilizer, which would be difficult to get going
anyway due to the sheer amount of it such a huge farm would use.

This is a good idea, was considering this, though I am not sure what is better/more efficient in the bioreactor. As saplings are efficient, most trees don't drop to many. I will do some testing with the Sakura trees. (I know everyone is going to say "TREE BREEDING" But is that mod even in the pack?)
If sakura trees don't satify my wanting, I am nearly certain I am going to use Carrots, potatoes, or whatever grows faster.
Does anyone know what speeds up the growth of plants other than xychroium soil (We don't have xycraft), Lilipad of fertility (We also don't have xeno reliquary), or fertilizer/non-renewable stuff?

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
Seriously, it's just what it is. Biofuel was renamed to ethanol. And there is no biogas in the mods. So anything would make no sense.

Uh dude... Biogas is made is a ferminter... It exists in 1.5.2 Its BIOFUEL that was changed into ethanol. Ethanol is made FROM biogas in a still. So yes biogas works and burns at 5mjs per tick in a biogas engine. However ethanol in a boiler is actually the most efficient way to produce power.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Uh dude... Biogas is made is a ferminter... It exists in 1.5.2 Its BIOFUEL that was changed into ethanol. Ethanol is made FROM biogas in a still. So yes biogas works and burns at 5mjs per tick in a biogas engine. However ethanol in a boiler is actually the most efficient way to produce power.

There is no such thing as "biogas" as a liquid or item in the game. The Fermenter makes BioMASS from Saplings and is then turned into Biofuel/Ethanol in a Still or Refinery depending on which version you're playing. There is, however, a Biogas Engine, which will accept Biomass as fuel along with a few other organic liquids.

EpicCenter

Jul 29, 2019
If you add Greg tech, you could use large gas turbines. I even made one sustain itself: use rubber saplings to centrifuge to get methane from the wood with the most awesome byproducts, rubber, a lot of it and carbon plates. The only lava needed is to be centrifuged into tin to make cells, basically free copper cable and carbon plates.[DOUBLEPOST=1375579724][/DOUBLEPOST]Use a multifarm

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
well, w/o gregtech, ill still stand beside a well-planned fission reactor for EU.
for MJ, treefarms galore.

Skyguy7567

Jul 29, 2019
I have not tried Unleashed yet but I'm sure any mod pack with the latest MineFactoryReloaded can use this. This is the setup I use in my FTB Ultimate 1.1.2 on a server. I have 3 wither skeleton drop farms. They all give bones and coal. I pipe the bones into my AE system then use an interface to extract it out (AE as buffer) with pneumatic tubes. Then to a fabricator, turning the bones into bonemeal, and to 5 or 6 bio reactors. Then I ender tank into the largest iron tank ever, and put those biofuel into full sized (36HP boilers with 9 iquid fueled fireboxes) and that setup is enough to power 6 full sized boilers with the addition of three biofuel generators. Mods required: Soul Shard Mod, MineFactoryReloaded, (Optional Railcraft or XYCraft for large scale liquid storage, Railcraft for boilers. Of course combustion engines from BuildCraft is still Ok, but much larger risk that they can explode than a boiler but boilers are the most efficient in terms of fuel usage and steam production,and Applied Energistics for awesome storage)
The best way to turn steam into EU is through an energy bridge, with the steam consumer touching the boilers and four additional liquiducts around the consumer, energy bridge in front, and it outputs about 380eu/t, consuming about 190 steam/t. That's only an approximation since steam to eu is about 1:2. Just like MJ. If you don't have the energy bridge mod industrial steam engines are the second best, as far as I know. But boilers -> energy bridge is the best way. One full sized HP boiler can produce enough steam for 2 energy bridge setups. So one boiler can make 720eu/t max, out of very little fuel once you get going with the heat. But be careful, make sure you have an aqerous accumulator supplying a constant water source (Both source and flowing water around 3 sides of the accumulator is enough to have it running at max speed or the boiler can use up all your water and explode once it reaches the max heat; LP boilers 500 degrees, HP boilers 1000 degrees. Size of the boilers do not change the max heat, but larger boilers require longer time and more fuel to heat up. But produces more steam that you can ever imagine.)

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Surprised no one said anyting about MFR Biofuel

Anyone considering anything other than MFR farms probably hasn't tried them :p[DOUBLEPOST=1377100412][/DOUBLEPOST]
The best way to turn steam into EU is through an energy bridge

IMHO it's not the "best" way but completely stupid. There's a reason it's disabled in Unleashed by default: Power Converters converting Steam to MJ or EU directly in a single block completely removes the balancing of the huge cost in iron of the engines.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
IMHO it's not the "best" way but completely stupid. There's a reason it's disabled in Unleashed by default: Power Converters converting Steam to MJ or EU directly in a single block completely removes the balancing of the huge cost in iron of the engines.
and then there is MFFS steel, which makes 2 steel from one ingot... sure, balance...

Reactions: Riuga

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone considering anything other than MFR farms probably hasn't tried them

Sorta. Forestry farms are a lot more efficient at the highest ranges, so that's something.

Funny thing about Forestry's recent changes to the sapling->biofuel production is that the base level was a tiny nerf, but the ceiling was actually raised. If you want to build out for maximum power per unit area, bred forestry trees win over MFR biofuel.

Reactions: MigukNamja