Best Melee Weapon (Damage) in Monster

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
What do you do if the mob gets in your house? Chances are, that is the last place you want any explosion, much less a "huge-ass" one. ;)
I suppose I either use a Bound Blade, or make sure to activate my Interdiction rituals to send them sky-high. Make sure not to hit the lever on the left, however: meteors in the base are not exactly the best.

Edit: Oh, I guess you haven't seen my bound tools. Boom.

- WayofTime is not responsible for loss of base.

Last edited:

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
No, I am not accusing you. The people I have caught monetizing RC are all backwater packs and backwater servers.

... I'm pretty sure I was the "he" you were referring to and linked to $50 unlock stuff. I updated my post with the exact nature of the tools. So please, don't make me be uncivil. It's a serious accusation that could lead to serious difficulties on my part. Even implying it is something I have to take very seriously.

Because you certainly just implied I was planning to monetize your mod.

I hope you report the people you find to Mojang. They will take care of it for you. They have a strong legal and financial impetus to protect their IP.

Finally, I updated my post to be crystal clear about the tools I'm referring to, what we're doing next, and why we're doing them.[DOUBLEPOST=1391737632][/DOUBLEPOST]
hah okay, well im out. Having a clause of "If I don't like you my ToS does not apply to you and you get nothing" is backwards thinking.

Now I see where Dave is coming from.

It's a pointless clause. Permissions is always revocable anyways. The only people who can defy Reika's license besides Reika is Mojang, and they have decided not to exercise that power.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
hah okay, well im out. Having a clause of "If I don't like you my ToS does not apply to you and you get nothing" is backwards thinking.

Now I see where Dave is coming from.
dshjklsjizzdjflskcjdjizzjdhrtwecdk

For ranged weapons I tend to like the Tinker bows. They're very obscure, and to the best of my knowledge, not a lot of people use them. But then again, they kind of have a learning curve, like knowing that the bow does not cause damage, but it's the arrows, the draw rate, the weight, etc. But still very fun to use.

Reactions: Padfoote

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
... I'm pretty sure I was the "he" you were referring to and linked to $50 unlock stuff. I updated my post with the exact nature of the tools. So please, don't make me be uncivil. It's a serious accusation that could lead to serious difficulties on my part. Even implying it is something I have to take very seriously.

Because you certainly just implied I was planning to monetize your mod.
My apologies for not being more clear. No, I have no evidence or suspicion that you have done anything of that nature.

I hope you report the people you find to Mojang. They will take care of it for you. They have a strong legal and financial impetus to protect their IP.
That is an idea, though I must admit it is intimidating.

Finally, I updated my post to be crystal clear about the tools I'm referring to, what we're doing next, and why we're doing them.
Upon reading it:
I still doubt it successfully removes the recipes; RC recipes are stored separately in immutable lists, and thus invisible to any tool not custom-written, and unmodifiable unless you are very skilled. That said, those are just machine and tool recipes, so you could theoretically disable crafting parts. However, in doing so, you would disable the entire mod, so I do not see that being as much of an issue.

Two, I will keep watch over this tool's use; if I catch too much abuse, I will do what it did with WorldGuard and make it not able to block placement of core machines (ones that the mod cannot function without and almost always the targets for malicious disabling).
If you are concerned about world corruption from erroring machines, no need; my TEs may spam a error in the console if they throw exceptions, but they never corrupt a world like that. At worst, a rendering error would crash a client.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Since the TESRs fire every tick, the crash would happen immediately upon loading/placing the machine. Additionally, once saving begins, rendering stops (the dirt screen takes over).
Minecraft still autosaves a stupid amount while in game.

Necr0maNceR

Jul 29, 2019
I come back and the conversation has ended. For a while Reika and I were doing almost all of the discussing, then a bunch of people come and make a lot of posts, and it's over. I feel a little left out. Nonetheless, the conversation was not fruitless, since some cross mod exploits were fixed. That said, there are a few more things I would like to say:

Raw power tends to win that battle. In RotaryCraft alone, there is an easier-to-obtain (though harder to push to this extreme) tool that can deal 265 hearts of damage. People use that almost exclusively.
Yeah, that gravel gun is pretty crazy. It's long range, but the fact it can rapid fire makes it work great for close range as well. As I've already said, the problem I had with the bedrock sword wasn't it's damage, but it's ability to tear through armor that wasn't your bedrock armor. Thus, forcing people to use that armor. Now, some armors are designed to prevent all damage until they break or run out of charge, and the sword would still be able to get through (and break) those armors while the gun would take longer. However, the two examples of that sort of armor in FTB are the quantum armor and bound armor. Prior to this discussion, your sword would rip them to shreds. Now though, your fix should make it so the quantum armor isn't one-shot anymore. I don't know whether the gravel gun would wear it down faster though. Probably not. WayofTime is fixing the bound armor to be indestructible, but the extra damage to the armor should apply to the player's soul network, causing the bedrock sword to be better in this case as well. Keep in mind, I'm saying this means there are cases where the bedrock sword is stronger than the rapid fire weapon that does hundreds of damage, and that's saying something. Of course, numerous FTB mods add armor piercing, which can also get through damage negating armor.

Yeah, I'd have to agree that the gravel gun is much stronger than the bedrock sword. I wouldn't exactly call that a good thing though. It just means the gravel gun is really, really good. Even your own bedrock armor does little against it. Was it your intention to add a weapon that couldn't be stopped by armor? I used to think the railgun from Modular Powersuits was overpowered, but the gravel gun is basically the same thing but much stronger. There practically is no such thing as pvp combat with that thing around. The first to hit their target basically wins. Bound armor and Quantum armor might be able to slow it down some, but the bedrock sword should make short work of those two. As long as you have a bedrock sword and a properly charged gravel gun, no other weapons compare, and no armor, even bedrock, can stand in your way. Is this what you wanted?

Not if it is sufficiently more costly or later in the techtree. RotaryCraft is designed to work best in the "extreme endgame" niche.
Many of those other weapons and armor are endgame items as well. Even if you think your mod is "more" endgame, the bedrock sword (and gravel gun) still make all other weapons and armor obsolete. The entire reason I think there should be config options for stuff like this is so that players aren't stuck with only one viable option, endgame or not.
It is not "because I want it that way". It is because the very nature of a config means that allowing a little variability means allowing nearly all possibilities. The mod interactions, as I have said ad nauseam, have been fixed.
As I've already said, min/max values for configs limit/negate the harm that can be done, and help a lot of people. No need for rules banning it, helps people reach a compromise…. yadda yadda yadda. I've said this like a million times. Min/max limited value configs would leave very little room to be abused, and would help a lot of people. More people are having trouble due to the lack of configs for the bedrock swords ability and such things then the number of people who would have trouble if there was a config. Not having a config isn't a "safe" option, it still causes trouble people like I've already said for many reasons that I've already outlined. Not having configs for such things causes more problems than it fixes.
Agreed on all except the last. Since these people are too numerous - and outside my influence - to affect directly, I instead go after the tools they use to enforce their rules. Configs to do these things would be rather pointless in light of that.
As I've already said, even if they can't use configs to enforce a rule, they can still enforce it through other means. Like banning or otherwise punishing a player for using a particular item. Which is better: being physically incapable of breaking a rule, or breaking a rule (maybe even accidentally) and being punished for it? Plus, I'll say it one more time: a properly made config option (like the set minimum/maximum value parameters one you mentioned) leaves little to no room to be abused, yet helps a lot of people who want to use it the right way.

As far as the "recipe remover" stuff goes, yeah, people shouldn't try to mess with your mod. That said, the reason many of them are doing it is because several of the things in your mod can really mess with the balance of a modpack. RotaryCraft pretty much has only one power/balance setting. People have trouble making it fit with things that are balanced differently, since configs to let them tweak certain settings don't exist. They either have to take RotaryCr exactly as is and let it throw things wildly off balance, or not use it at all. There is no middle ground.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
Aha! A thread about violence in videogames - I love violence! Wait, what's going on in this -

... oh. OH.

On one hand, digital rights management is not a phrase I would say in polite company or around children. On the other hand, I don't like the people who want me to pay $50 for a virtual quarry, a Mystcraft age or an awesome sword and fucking them over just a bit is not a bad thing.

Oh, sure, they have server costs and whatever - but the more of that stuff there is on a server the more it feels like Angry Birds or one of those terrible F2P MMOs. I just can't bring myself to pay for a virtual item with real money without feeling like a 12 year old, and a stupid 12 year old at that. It just feels wrong.

Maybe you can all be friends. A certain amount of trust and friendship here would probably allow you to keep certain things secret, share a few pieces of code, and possibly get a version of X without the Y and Z if you asked really nicely and sent them hot crossed buns in the mail. Or you could go to war and reflect around eachother's code until the cows come home.

... as I was going to say before I started scrolling up, strength potions are an underused vanilla mechanic for a flat percent damage increase and you could have an enderchest full of them. In combination with a suitable sword that's been enchanted with the (broken? OP?) MFR auto-enchanter you could reach dizzying heights of damage.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Convince them to put the Orespawn mod in Monster. It has a +500 sword.
It needs it. Only way to kill Mobzilla with it's 4000 HP and regen that's so high not even a diamond sword with cheated lvl 10/X enchantments can defeat it while in creative mode. :D

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I would imagine that's a large part of why it's not in Monster.

That and the mod has no real set purpose, and is bloatware.

The purpose is fun and interesting challenges.

Mobzilla only appears in another... lets call it an age. The villager age. One that's under constant attack from high order mobs. There are 4 such ages all with there own purposes.

The point of the mob is to have fun. To make the game more fun. Are you saying that the point of mods is not to make the game more fun? That... that would explain a lot about how a number of mods are being developed.
As I've said before. Who cares about "your" way of doing things or that they are balanced to an inch of there lives. If it's fun turning diamonds into dirt or picking a fight with a 1000 ft monster then why shouldn't we be able to do it. Mods are developed for fun not just to make things more work.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
The purpose is fun and interesting challenges.

Mobzilla only appears in another... lets call it an age. The villager age. One that's under constant attack from high order mobs. There are 4 such ages all with there own purposes.

The point of the mob is to have fun. To make the game more fun. Are you saying that the point of mods is not to make the game more fun? That... that would explain a lot about how a number of mods are being developed.
As I've said before. Who cares about "your" way of doing things or that they are balanced to an inch of there lives. If it's fun turning diamonds into dirt or picking a fight with a 1000 ft monster then why shouldn't we be able to do it. Mods are developed for fun not just to make things more work.
I didn't say it's not fun. I said it' bloatware and has no real purpose. I haven't even used the mod, but I've seen enough of it to know that I don't really want to.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't say it's not fun. I said it' bloatware and has no real purpose. I haven't even used the mod, but I've seen enough of it to know that I don't really want to.

There are a number of mods that add mobs, extra worlds, and random items. Many of them are in FTB packs Are you saying all of them have no purpose.
As for it being bloatware considering that it adds over a hundred mobs (and we are not talking about re-skined steves here), several times that in items, and 4 worlds each with there own purpose and dramatically different difficulty level. The amount of memory space it takes up is well within what you'd expect such a mod to take. As for Ram there are any number of mods in these packs that can take up huge amounts of RAM with no limit so calling any mod Bloatwhere is like insulting all of them.

The purpose of this mod is to explore, to adventure, to fight. If all you want to do is stay home and fiddle with machines you are entitled to that right. But don't say things that make it sound like there is a problem with a good mod THAT YOU HAVE NEVER USED just because they don't sound like your cup of tea.
Exploration, mineing, building, gathering, fighting. All these things are a integral part of Minecraft. You can do all of them or non of them. Saying such insulting things about something just because you don't like it. Shame on you. What would have happened to any MOD or even minecraft if they looked at it and never tried it just because they didn't think they would like it?

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
We're moving on and away from discussion who has the right to do what with mod code. That dead horse is on the forum's list of "only causes flamewar" topics. This should not come as a surprise, considering our Closed Source Code Policy (no, that's not an invitation for you to argue that in this thread either, and if you do you will accrue Warning points that can jeopardize forum access).

If folks want to have a private chat about that stuff, by all means do so. But let's get back to other topics.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone tried enchanting the sword binding catalyst from AM2? I was going to try that out myself once I get far enough in AM2 to try that.

As for best ranged weapon, uh... Usually I'd use MPS and it's Railgun for doing damage at a range since it costs only energy and is a hit-scan weapon(harder to miss!), but the recent updates to MFR has me using a new pair of weapons. Shame the Anvil rounds don't work very well on the ender dragon.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Alcheya

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone tried enchanting the sword binding catalyst from AM2? I was going to try that out myself once I get far enough in AM2 to try that.

As for best ranged weapon, uh... Usually I'd use MPS and it's Railgun for doing damage at a range since it costs only energy and is a hit-scan weapon(harder to miss!), but the recent updates to MFR has me using a new pair of weapons. Shame the Anvil rounds don't work very well on the ender dragon.

The thread was supposed to be about FTB Monster. AM2 isn't in it sadly. :(

But TiCO was the best as far as pure melee damage is concerned. 2 points higher than the bedrock sword.

Reactions: MoosyDoosy

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Also, continuing on my research w/ the Cutlass, Thaumic Rod, Paper Full Guard, and Manyullyn Sword Blade gives out 10.5 hearts of damage as stated in the Tinker table. Reliably OHKO's regular zombies and I believe it might be stronger than a Jagged boost.

Albeleo

Jul 29, 2019
Also, continuing on my research w/ the Cutlass, Thaumic Rod, Paper Full Guard, and Manyullyn Sword Blade gives out 10.5 hearts of damage as stated in the Tinker table. Reliably OHKO's regular zombies and I believe it might be stronger than a Jagged boost.

I ended up testing this. With jagged on a cutlass, the max boost I ever got was .5 hearts no matter how low I got the durability. You'll get better results using all paper/thaumium and adding more quartz. On a max durability battleaxe I seem to recall that I got a slight boost using jagged, however I also got a speed penalty from grinding it down because the battleaxe is both a weapon and a tool. I could have used something to give it stonebound to offset that...but that would have taken away from max damage.

Overall, I think you're better off using paper/thaumium on any parts you can to add extra quartz than you would be using jagged.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Reactions: MoosyDoosy