Best Melee Weapon (Damage) in Monster

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
We aren't asking that you make it the way we want, we are asking that you give the option to have it the way we want. There's a difference.
Not when you realize that what he is doing with his tools is exactly the kind of modification I want to disallow.
Even if his motives are legitimate - which I rather doubt from his comments all over this forum and his own - what is to stop others from using the same tools to take things away to enforce their own idea of gameplay, or worse, to disable a recipe and say "you must donate $50 to get machine X" (which people have done, most commonly with the bedrock breaker and with the grinder)?

Last edited:

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Not when you realize that what he is doing with his tools is exactly the kind of modification I want to disallow.
Even if his motives are legitimate - which I rather doubt from his comments all over this forum and his own - what is to stop others from using the same tools to take things away to enforce their own idea of gameplay, or worse, to disable a recipe and say "you must donate $50 to get machine X"?
I'm not defending Dave's actions- I'm just saying that the idea of not allowing configuration of a potentially extremely OP sword that breaks a bunch of mod functionality because "I want it that way" seems preposterous.

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
Even if his motives are legitimate - which I rather doubt from his comments all over this forum and his own - what is to stop others from using the same tools to take things away to enforce their own idea of gameplay, or worse, to disable a recipe and say "you must donate $50 to get machine X"?
I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that is one dubious stretch of the imagination. He was merely saying that if a modpack believes that there is an item that is, say, 10 times better than everything else (this is NOT an exaggeration), then said modpack will disable it, recipe and/or through disabling the item.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I'm not defending Dave's actions- I'm just saying that the idea of not allowing configuration of a potentially extremely OP sword that breaks a bunch of mod functionality because "I want it that way" seems preposterous.
It is not "because I want it that way". It is because the very nature of a config means that allowing a little variability means allowing nearly all possibilities. The mod interactions, as I have said ad nauseam, have been fixed.

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that is one dubious stretch of the imagination.
I have caught people doing it.

At this point, I should make something clear: I trawl the web looking for any commentary, usage, and other content I can find on my mods. You would not believe the number of private server forums that openly say things like this.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
I have caught people doing it.

At this point, I should make something clear: I trawl the web looking for any commentary, usage, and other content I can find on my mods. You would not believe the number of private server forums that openly say things like this.
Then they are scumbags, and the other people should find another server. No stopping idiocy like that.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Then they are scumbags, and the other people should find another server. No stopping idiocy like that.
Agreed on all except the last. Since these people are too numerous - and outside my influence - to affect directly, I instead go after the tools they use to enforce their rules. Configs to do these things would be rather pointless in light of that.

Cozza

Jul 29, 2019
Three, you have alerted me that there are such tools. Time to break them on RC.

Now, to be fair, I am dubious that the recipes are actually removed unless you custom-wrote tools for RC, and even then, it would be difficult.
I have taken precautions against exactly what you describe.

Did you just openly say you are planning to break other mods with RC? Should I be considering you a malware developer?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
He's breaking mods that break his mod and his Terms of Use. That isn't malware
Plus, I am only breaking their use on RC. They will work perfectly on everything else.

I rather resent the either sloppy or disingenuous reading of my previous comment to infer something far more sinister (though I must admit this is hardly new).

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
One, you have just flat-out admitted to violating my terms of use.

Will you stop accusing us of stealing your mod when we are not distributing your mod? We do not distribute RotaryCraft. We have never distributed RotaryCraft. We have not even linked to RotaryCraft. Our modlist is maintained and published in real time by a computer script that parses XML that our launchers use. The ATLauncher team (which we are not members of) re-audits are modpack and permissions on a recurring schedule (and we re-evaluate permissions every 3 months). Any time you want to make sure we're not redistributing, there is a search box right there we cannot lie to.

To be brutally honest, my team lives in perpetual fear that you will make RotaryCraft incompatible with ATLauncher just to spite Velotican and I personally, so we've avoided your mod specifically so that other modpacks can use it. We do not want that to happen, and so we have volunteered to just steer clear of you.

That is why we don't distribute your mod. We've not been saying it out loud and using the polite euphemisms about balance, but let's just lay it all out there. I think your mod has gotten plenty cool, but I don't think it's wise for us to include us because you use my project as a swear word.

You keep accusing me, personally, of trying to profit off your mod. I don't talk about this much, but let me assure you, RR will not and has never been a source of income. I do not need the income. I do not care about the income. I've shelled out literally thousands of dollars on RR over the course of the project now, and I never expect to recover it.

Meanwhile you cheerfully give FTB permission and they are are profiting off the brand they built. Are you going to enjoy Curse's revenue sharing policy, I wonder?

Two, you have essentially told me "make it the way we want or we break it". How mature.

No. I've told you many modpacks will do this. Like I said, we refrain from using your mod because every time we even talk to you, you immediately start accusing us of things.

Three, you have alerted me that there are such tools. Time to break them on RC.

Don't you have better things to do? Like make content? You live in perpetual fear that someone will "steal" your work, but I'm not sure exactly what you're afraid of here. You can never sell your mod. You can never make money off your mod. The very best thing you can do with your mod is open source it and use it as a way to grow your career in software. That's the alpha and omega of the value your mod can deliver to you, unless you're one of the very few people who can end up significantly cash-positive on adfly revenue.

I have taken precautions against exactly what you describe.

Please. Please stop lying about my project. You know we don't distribute your mod. You know we do not, will not, and legally cannot charge for mods. No one has EVER put pay-to-play into your mods and accusing us of trying that is absurd.

We have left you alone and been very respectful. I formally and publicly apologized to you for some inaccurate stuff (and some poorly worded opinions). I've been more than patient with you. If necessary, I'll publish our entire private conversations publicly to prove this.

Finally, for the record, we have recipe removal tools that not only proactively remove the recipe, but the latest versions can actually keep scrubbing the recipe dictionary and can actually keep refunding and destroying items in the world. These tools are not in development specifically for Reika's mod, but rather to ease growing pains when a modpack migrates between stable versions and a mod is removed, or when mods depending on old versions of API (IC2-exp and UE2 are good examples of when this might happen) can cause a crash if an object is crafted. This in no way qualifies as derivative work; it's a mod not unlike ShadowDrgn's old recipe remover that modifies what's registered in the forge environment. It will be made open source (the current version of RRUtils already is open source) and its internals are not arcane or secret.

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Will you stop accusing us of stealing your mod when we are not distributing your mod? We do not distribute RotaryCraft. We have never distributed RotaryCraft. We have not even linked to RotaryCraft.
Your words "some of us have tools..." implies otherwise. Also, keep this civil.

We live in perpetual fear that you will make RotaryCraft incompatible with ATLauncher just to spite Laurence and I personally, so we've avoided your mod specifically so that other modpacks can use it. We do not want that to happen, and so we have volunteered to just steer clear of you.
I think this says more than anything else in the post. And no, I am not going to do that, so you have no worries there.

You keep accusing me, personally, of trying to profit off your mod. I don't talk about this much, but let me assure you, RR will not and has never been a source of income. I do not need the income. I do not care about the income. I've shelled out literally thousands of dollars on RR over the course of the project now, and I never expect to recover it.
No, I am not accusing you. The people I have caught monetizing RC are all backwater packs and backwater servers.

Meanwhile you cheerfully give FTB permission and they are are profiting off the brand they built. Are you going to enjoy Curse's revenue sharing policy, I wonder?
A cost/benefit analysis. I stand a lot to gain being in an FTB pack.

Don't you have better things to do? Like make content?
I am flipping between this and coding a multiblock right now.

You live in perpetual fear that someone will "steal" your work, but I'm not sure exactly what you're afraid of here. You can never sell your mod. You can never make money off your mod. The very best thing you can do with your mod is open source it and use it as a way to grow your career in software. That's the alpha and omega of the value your mod can deliver to you, unless you're one of the very few people who can end up significantly cash-positive on adfly revenue.
Others are doing a better job of making money off of my mods than I have. Would that not irk you, at least a little?
I may not be able to charge, and I am certainly not going to demand income, but I am well within my rights to deny others from using my work as their source of income.