Best Melee Weapon (Damage) in Monster

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

iiowyn

Jul 29, 2019
It is intended; the extreme hardness of bedrock makes for an extremely sharp blade that makes short work of armor.
It also destroys armor of people you aren't in combat with. Found this out while exploring a dungeon with friends. Any way to turn that off in the configs?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
It also destroys armor of people you aren't in combat with. Found this out while exploring a dungeon with friends. Any way to turn that off in the configs?
No, because too many people would abuse the option, as they do with the others ("OMG armor damage this is so OP").

My only answer is to try and avoid friendly fire; for rather obvious reasons, the sword cannot tell your intentions.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
By people who disable them because they test it once in creative and assume it can be obtained in the first ten minutes of gameplay. Just look at how many people (try to) disable RotaryCraft machines for that very reason.
you don't want people to disable parts of your mod. that's a valid reason for not having such options.
however calling it abuse prevention is rather odd usage of words.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
you don't want people to disable parts of your mod. that's a valid reason for not having such options.
however calling it abuse prevention is rather odd usage of words.
Not really. Because of the fact configs are global (and on a server, controlled by the owner), they necessarily allow for the owner to choose for the players, whatever the players might actually want. This becomes an issue where feature removal is concerned. I can recall 15 instances in the past week of admins coming to me because they wanted to remove some feature. When asked why, they all said they felt it made the game "too easy" or "I would feel like I was cheating if I was using it". When asked why they needed a config rather than simply refraining from using it, the response was always some variation of "so the people on my server cannot have it either". And that is abuse.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Not really. Because of the fact configs are global (and on a server, controlled by the owner), they necessarily allow for the owner to choose for the players, whatever the players might actually want. This becomes an issue where feature removal is concerned. I can recall 15 instances in the past week of admins coming to me because they wanted to remove some feature. When asked why, they all said they felt it made the game "too easy" or "I would feel like I was cheating if I was using it". When asked why they needed a config rather than simply refraining from using it, the response was always some variation of "so the people on my server cannot have it either". And that is abuse.
People need to remember that exploits don't exist when you have self control.

Reactions: YX33A and PierceSG

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Oh nice. Never tried out the bedrock sword. Another reason for bumping Rotary Craft up on my list of to do things. How often does the sword break armor? Is there like a percentage or something? Also, what's its damage count? Like how diamond sword is +8, etc, etc.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
if you put it that way, then... maybe?.. i just can't see anything wrong with admin wanting to not have something in their realm thus i find it rather difficult to justify use of word abuse.

anyway, by not providing option to disable stuff from your mod, i assume, you don't want to see your mod with features missing and don't want other people to see your mod in such state either. doesn't that place you in similar spot as those admins? :)

i'm probably going in direction i shouldn't, but these are the consequences of being for so long on this forum >_>

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Oh nice. Never tried out the bedrock sword. Another reason for bumping Rotary Craft up on my list of to do things. How often does the sword break armor? Is there like a percentage or something? Also, what's its damage count? Like how diamond sword is +8, etc, etc.
It deals damage specifically to the armor every hit. The durability of the armor determines how long it lasts; leather is usually gone in 1-2 hits, whereas diamond will last 6-10 or so.

if you put it that way, then... maybe?.. i just can't see anything wrong with admin wanting to not have something in their realm thus i find it rather difficult to justify use of word abuse.

anyway, by not providing option to disable stuff from your mod, i assume, you don't want to see your mod with features missing and don't want other people to see your mod in such state either. doesn't that place you in similar spot as those admins? :)

i'm probably going in direction i shouldn't, but these are the consequences of being for so long on this forum >_>
I do not see how. To want to disable a feature for other players is tantamount to claiming the right to control their play style. I see no legitimate case of this. I could understand if there was an exploit, or something messed up the server economy. But if it was just "I do not like it when people farm stuff, it's too OP", then no, I do not.
By all means, anyone is welcome to restrict themselves to manual resource gathering, or to 2x ore multiplication, or dealing a max of 3.5 hearts of damage with a weapon. But to say that others cannot have it because you do not like it carries the implicit presumption of superiority.

Additionally, for those claiming "X does not fit well on the server", there should be no issue; those who care about how well things fit will refrain from using it; those who do not...why are they on that server?

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
What about modpack devs? If they are making a conversion pack and want to use RotaryCraft, they might want to disable certain things. There is always Minetweaker, but not everyone is comfortable with that.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
To want to disable a feature for other players is tantamount to claiming the right to control their play style. I see no legitimate case of this.
well yeah. but i see no issue with admin(i mean owner) being the king of their private kingdom, even if their restrictive reign causes player base to be null.

Reactions: unknown zombie

Exadi

Jul 29, 2019
well yeah. but i see no issue with admin(i mean owner) being the king of their private kingdom, even if their restrictive reign causes player base to be null.
If only it were that simple. Servers often don't list everything they disable so your time is already wasted by the time you can make an informed decision not to play there.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
If only it were that simple. Servers often don't list everything they disable so your time is already wasted by the time you can make an informed decision not to play there.
i'm aware of that. but it's a different though related issue.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
i'm aware of that. but it's a different though related issue.
No, it is the same issue. 90% of servers that even look at the configs are private servers that run custom packs, often among a group of people who know each other or are associated in some way. What this then means is that any players who are told "if you do not like it, leave" are probably not going to find another server with the mods they want, or with the people they want to play with. Additionally, since these often happen midway through a server's life, the player is forced to choose between playing the way they want to and keeping what is likely days or weeks of work.

Another person put it quite well; many server admins liken themselves to minor deities. I do not buy into that.

iiowyn

Jul 29, 2019
No, it is the same issue. 90% of servers that even look at the configs are private servers that run custom packs, often among a group of people who know each other or are associated in some way. What this then means is that any players who are told "if you do not like it, leave" are probably not going to find another server with the mods they want, or with the people they want to play with. Additionally, since these often happen midway through a server's life, the player is forced to choose between playing the way they want to and keeping what is likely days or weeks of work.

Another person put it quite well; many server admins liken themselves to minor deities. I do not buy into that.

I am running a server for my kids and a close friend. Really just an extended LAN world. While I am a fan of as much configuration and personalization as possible, this is your mod and I respect your decision.

Necr0maNceR

Jul 29, 2019
Are you kidding? Server owners pay for their server and have the right to say what is okay and what isn't, what is enabled in the configs and what is not. Generally, they are the only ones actually putting real money into the server, and they have to deal with all the technical issues, and moderating issues between the players. It's a lot of work. Some do it better then others, but it's still a lot more trouble than any player who is simply playing on the server has to deal with. Sure, a player may not like how an Admin runs a server, but at the end of the day, it's the admin's server. If the player doesn't like it, then they can do as you said, and leave. A player should only have a say in how the server is run if they've actually put money into it.

You say that letting admins remove the bedrock sword's armor damaging ability is abuse? Not all armors use their durability. Modular Powersuits uses a charge to determine whether it's armor is working. Your sword bypasses that feature and destroys armor that is supposed to be indestructible. THAT'S an exploit. This exploit also affects IC2's nano and quantum armors, and Blood Magic's bound armor. It likely affects many other things that aren't in FTB as well. The only things it doesn't affect are KAMI's ichorcloth armors and IC2's solar helmet. Your bedrock armor was technically affected, but it's massive durability makes it not matter. Even for armor that does use durability, your sword basically wrecks it. Your sword basically makes almost every armor added by other mods worthless in pvp, at least from a defense perspective. It's almost as if the whole point of it is to make all other armors worthless so people have to use your bedrock sword and bedrock armor in order to stand a chance in pvp.

As far as your logic for not having config options for the Bedrock sword and other features go, it's flawed. Not having a config for certain features won't "force" the server admins to let the players use them. If an admin doesn't like an item or feature and there isn't a config option for it, they can just make a rule saying that players can't use it. If a player is caught breaking this rule, they would probably have to destroy the item, or be banned. Having a config option seems like a much better alternative than that, imo.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Are you kidding? Server owners pay for their server and have the right to say what is okay and what isn't, what is enabled in the configs and what is not. Generally, they are the only ones actually putting real money into the server, and they have to deal with all the technical issues, and moderating issues between the players. It's a lot of work. Some do it better then others, but it's still a lot more trouble than any player who is simply playing on the server has to deal with. Sure, a player may not like how an Admin runs a server, but at the end of the day, it's the admin's server. If the player doesn't like it, then they can do as you said, and leave. A player should only have a say in how the server is run if they've actually put money into it.

You say that letting admins remove the bedrock sword's armor damaging ability is abuse? Not all armors use their durability. Modular Powersuits uses a charge to determine whether it's armor is working. Your sword bypasses that feature and destroys armor that is supposed to be indestructible. THAT'S an exploit. This exploit also affects IC2's nano and quantum armors, and Blood Magic's bound armor. It likely affects many other things that aren't in FTB as well. The only things it doesn't affect are KAMI's ichorcloth armors and IC2's solar helmet. Your bedrock armor was technically affected, but it's massive durability makes it not matter. Even for armor that does use durability, your sword basically wrecks it. Your sword basically makes almost every armor added by other mods worthless in pvp, at least from a defense perspective. It's almost as if the whole point of it is to make all other armors worthless so people have to use your bedrock sword and bedrock armor in order to stand a chance in pvp.

As far as your logic for not having config options for the Bedrock sword and other features go, it's flawed. Not having a config for certain features won't "force" the server admins to let the players use them. If an admin doesn't like an item or feature and there isn't a config option for it, they can just make a rule saying that players can't use it. If a player is caught breaking this rule, they would probably have to destroy the item, or be banned. Having a config option seems like a much better alternative than that, imo.
Your argument seems to boil down to "server owners can afford to host, and that gives them special rights". Am I correct?

Also, the MPS breaking is obviously a bug, which I will fix in v16.