Best Melee Weapon (Damage) in Monster

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Finally went and did some testing myself.. found that the bedrock sword is the best "out of the box" weapon by far.

It's unbreakable, +12 attack damage and comes with Sharp 5/Loot 5. Does 19 damage with no additions.

Going to have to get it legit, but it will be worth it. Bloodmagic sword also does +12 attack damage, but you need to enchant to +5 sharp yourself and can't get +5 looting. I also know nothing about Blood Magic, so there could be a downside I don't know about. I know charged light sabre does 2 damage more (21), but that has to be charged and has no looting.

Unless there is a TiCO weapon that will outdo that, I've found my answer. Thanks everyone.
Wow, IC2 is actually useful for something? Jk, jk, sorry people my intent was not to start a flame war. But this is some nice research. Definitely going to try out the Bedrock sword and the Bound Sword from Blood Magic. Just remember, right clicking with the Bound Sword destroys a swathe of land if my memory serves well so using it for everyday mob killing might be a bit too dangerous.
Question: Does the Nano Saber one-shot mobs like Zombies?

Reactions: Padfoote

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, IC2 is actually useful for something? Jk, jk, sorry people my intent was not to start a flame war. But this is some nice research. Definitely going to try out the Bedrock sword and the Bound Sword from Blood Magic. Just remember, right clicking with the Bound Sword destroys a swathe of land if my memory serves well so using it for everyday mob killing might be a bit too dangerous.
Answer: Yes

Reactions: MoosyDoosy

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Definitely going to try out the Bedrock sword and the Bound Sword from Blood Magic. Just remember, right clicking with the Bound Sword destroys a swathe of land if my memory serves well so using it for everyday mob killing might be a bit too dangerous.

The Bound Blade doesn't do anything on right click. It's the pick you have to watch out for. ;)

Also, does anyone know if the Nano Saber still has that weird bug where the activation wasn't triggering correctly? Last time I used it (which was admittedly quite some time ago) it either wouldn't activate or would deactivate when I hit something.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Also, does anyone know if the Nano Saber still has that weird bug where the activation wasn't triggering correctly? Last time I used it (which was admittedly quite some time ago) it either wouldn't activate or would deactivate when I hit something.
Yeah it works fine now

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Answer: Yes
Found that the sword was unreliable. Sometimes OHKO'ing, sometimes 2HKO'ing. Just gonna stick to good ol' Tinker's Tools for the reliability.
Finally went and did some testing myself.. found that the bedrock sword is the best "out of the box" weapon by far.

It's unbreakable, +12 attack damage and comes with Sharp 5/Loot 5. Does 19 damage with no additions.

Going to have to get it legit, but it will be worth it. Bloodmagic sword also does +12 attack damage, but you need to enchant to +5 sharp yourself and can't get +5 looting. I also know nothing about Blood Magic, so there could be a downside I don't know about. I know charged light sabre does 2 damage more (21), but that has to be charged and has no looting.

Unless there is a TiCO weapon that will outdo that, I've found my answer. Thanks everyone.
A TiC tool with low durability and Jagged might deal more damage than a Nano Saber. I'm going to try it out with my Cutlass as soon as it gets to low durability.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Found that the sword was unreliable. Sometimes OHKO'ing, sometimes 2HKO'ing. Just gonna stick to good ol' Tinker's Tools for the reliability.

A TiC tool with low durability and Jagged might deal more damage than a Nano Saber. I'm going to try it out with my Cutlass as soon as it gets to low durability.
Most attacks are somewhat unrelable! Seriously, even just punching cows with my bear fists occasionally deals 2 damage. Seriously, double normal!

Also, remember that with TiC, high durability is a great thing for Jagged and Stonebound. While a bit counter-intuitive, a higher durability is better for stonebound and jagged, as this actually increases things more. A mostly paper sword with a bit of stone is all but useless, but a full Nether-Ore-That-Has-Jagged is a beast when it is almost broken. Then you slap on a power thingy of choice(RF for me, thank you) and you have a powerful sword that you have to babysit a bit.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
I'm done experimenting and the results are very positive for Tinker's Construct. Let me detail my sword:
Manyullyn Sword Blade, Paper Full Guard, Cactus Tool Rod
- 6 modifiers total (Paper Full Guard, Nether Star, Gold & Diamond)
- 5 modifiers used up on Nether Quartz.
I was debating between using up the last for Nether Quartz or not, but I decided that I might want the recharge / repair option. So I walked outside and swung my sword at my first zombie. And killed it in one hit.
It is my belief, but I cannot be sure without Damage Indicators, that the sword combination listed above rivals that of the Nano Sword. And please note that the durability was FULL when I killed the zombie. I started going on a killing rampage, and found that my TiC sword was as unreliable as killing the Nano Saber zombies in one hit. So I'm pretty sure that even at full durability, the above sword is as powerful as the Nano Saber. Because the results were so positive, after the night was over, I came over immediately to post the experiment. I can only imagine as to how beastly such a sword with low durability would be...
(A side question: If I use the Flux modifier, would having a low amount of Flux equate to that of low durability? Because then it would be super easy to keep your sword at half RF charge and pretty much kill everything in your way.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
~(A side question: If I use the Flux modifier, would having a low amount of Flux equate to that of low durability? Because then it would be super easy to keep your sword at half RF charge and pretty much kill everything in your way.
Forum posts here say no, it matters how high the tools Actual Durability is, thus keeping the RF Levels maxed but durability as close to one as you want to push it, is better. Unless it's been fixed. In which case, I hope my better informed brethren inform you of this fact.

Alcheya

Jul 29, 2019
I'm done experimenting and the results are very positive for Tinker's Construct. Let me detail my sword:
Manyullyn Sword Blade, Paper Full Guard, Cactus Tool Rod
- 6 modifiers total (Paper Full Guard, Nether Star, Gold & Diamond)
- 5 modifiers used up on Nether Quartz.
-snip-

You don't put the RF Battery on it until your sword is wore down to it's last leg. I just tried.

It was 19 or 20 base, 21 when worn down all the way. Added an RF battery and it stayed at 21. (Broadsword) Getting a cutlass would increase the damage because of the 10% crit thing..

At this point it comes down to 2 points of damage + 10%crit + speed on block vs bedrock sword's armor breaking, loot 5, and never having to recharge/repair.

In my case, TiCo would come out on top because I have no need for mob garbage. I may get a bedrock sword so I can go get some trophies, but other than that, I prefer 1shotting most of them and getting them out of my face. For someone who might need the looting or doesn't have sufficient energy to recharge the weapon, bedrock would definitely be better. Also requires a ton of quartz, a nether star, and a gold block/diamond to max out the TiCO weapon.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
You don't put the RF Battery on it until your sword is wore down to it's last leg. I just tried.

It was 19 or 20 base, 21 when worn down all the way. Added an RF battery and it stayed at 21. (Broadsword) Getting a cutlass would increase the damage because of the 10% crit thing..

At this point it comes down to 2 points of damage + 10%crit + speed on block vs bedrock sword's armor breaking, loot 5, and never having to recharge/repair.

In my case, TiCo would come out on top because I have no need for mob garbage. I may get a bedrock sword so I can go get some trophies, but other than that, I prefer 1shotting most of them and getting them out of my face. For someone who might need the looting or doesn't have sufficient energy to recharge the weapon, bedrock would definitely be better. Also requires a ton of quartz, a nether star, and a gold block/diamond to max out the TiCO weapon.
Thank for the info. So yay, TiCO is the best weapon!
Also, I didn't get the crit when I OHKO'd the zombies, although I do admit that there is a higher chance of RNG counting.

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Nanosaber does 20-20 damage in engaged mode. Normal zombies has exactly 20 HP but also 2 armour points. And then ofc you also get angry zombies who has 25HP and zombies with combinations of armour pieces. So no Nanosaber will not reliably 1-shot zombies(but will definitely 2-shot), but it will 1-shot pretty much all other mobs.

I think the bug you are thinking of was the animation bug that happened on servers that showed the saber in different modes than it actually was in, leading to having it turned off while trying to attack stuff or on while not and draining all the power. Think that was solved long ago, but haven't been playing on servers much recently myself so not sure.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I think the bug you are thinking of was the animation bug that happened on servers that showed the saber in different modes than it actually was in, leading to having it turned off while trying to attack stuff or on while not and draining all the power. Think that was solved long ago, but haven't been playing on servers much recently myself so not sure.

That would explain a lot. Thanks for the info.

Alcheya

Jul 29, 2019
Thank for the info. So yay, TiCO is the best weapon!
Also, I didn't get the crit when I OHKO'd the zombies, although I do admit that there is a higher chance of RNG counting.

Yea, and pro-tip.. If you don't want to wait around forever wearing down your sword, I went to the end and just broke Natura clouds for a while. It wore it down much faster than just killing mobs.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
TiCo cleaver with mana blade, paper binding&rod and thaum rod and QUARTZ should give you the highest numbers possible in a single hit.
changing paper rod for cactus might result in even higher numbers, but it's not something that i'd play with :)

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Bedrock sword is pretty hard to beat. Infinite durability, comes pre-enchanted, looting 5. Is fun to hit mobs and hear the armor break sound as their armor shatters. Anything I can't kill easily with this sword is something I probably don't want to kill with a melee weapon in the first place. :) I think the gravel gun can 1-hit just about anything, from range, maybe I need to build one.

Albeleo

Jul 29, 2019
Two questions about TiCo, not sure if anyone has tested these:

1. Which would do more damage? Battleaxe 1, cobalt/manyullyn heads, paper rod/binding, flux + max quartz. Battleaxe 2, manyullyn heads and rod for max durability, cactus binding for jagged, ground down to near death then flux + max quartz. Curious to know if the jagged effect would outshine the extra quartz on the writable axe.

2. Between the cutlass and the battleaxe specifically, would the battleaxe do more damage with jagged/grind down/flux since the battleaxe could have massively higher max durability than the cutlass, or does the cutlass' +10% crit let it win out?

I'm fond of the battleaxe, if you can't tell... ;)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Conqueror224

Jul 29, 2019
I think the bedrock sword is by far the best. I've also recently tested out my damage on a wither with the strength 3 potion from geostrata and my damage was in the 80s range per hit. The only downside is that it isn't as broken as the rapiers for PVP because it doesn't render armor useless (something I think that needs to be changed). It does still destroy any armor apparently, I had a duel with someone and my bedrock sword destroyed his modular power suit. No clue if that's intended or just a bug. Either way the bedrock sword is the easiest to get and most powerful melee weapon I've found. 0 maintenance and just a small amount of time and resources to get the materials to make your own. The other tools are nice and I haven't tested the armor yet to see how strong it is, but my vote goes to the bedrock sword.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I think the bedrock sword is by far the best. I've also recently tested out my damage on a wither with the strength 3 potion from geostrata and my damage was in the 80s range per hit. The only downside is that it isn't as broken as the rapiers for PVP because it doesn't render armor useless (something I think that needs to be changed). It does still destroy any armor apparently, I had a duel with someone and my bedrock sword destroyed his modular power suit. No clue if that's intended or just a bug. Either way the bedrock sword is the easiest to get and most powerful melee weapon I've found. 0 maintenance and just a small amount of time and resources to get the materials to make your own. The other tools are nice and I haven't tested the armor yet to see how strong it is, but my vote goes to the bedrock sword.
It is intended; the extreme hardness of bedrock makes for an extremely sharp blade that makes short work of armor.