Best lagfree sorting system? Pipes vs Tubes

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

adjl

Jul 29, 2019
I guess "world i recently started" wasn't correct -- I already have diamond chest after diamond chest of random items that need organizing, so I'm going to get them all linked into an AE network first, then work on the AE storage solution. The preformatting feature and the portability are awesome.

Fair enough. AE's also pretty amazing for that, and in that case starting with the network is definitely the better way to go, since you can then shove it all onto some drives when you've got them, while still being able to access the stuff via the terminal in the mean time. It's just a great mod, really.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Just as a note, it's very hard for people who haven't used it to understand how expensive AE gets. Its idling costs aren't so bad but its I/O costs can get insane. Do NOT try to use it for quarries or frame bores or any sort of auto-mining as an input funnel unless you're the sort of person who is so far ahead on the power game that you forgot how many IDSUs you have.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Just as a note, it's very hard for people who haven't used it to understand how expensive AE gets. Its idling costs aren't so bad but its I/O costs can get insane. Do NOT try to use it for quarries or frame bores or any sort of auto-mining as an input funnel unless you're the sort of person who is so far ahead on the power game that you forgot how many IDSUs you have.
What sorts of problems have you run into?

I'm curious, because I have just started a system. It's got 5 dedicated industrial steam engines from one of my boilers set aside to power (you know...growth potential). Last night one of our folks fired up three quarries to rip apart a couple of hollow hills. I assume, for the sake of overkill, that the 200 units of power that I've got allocated was WAY more than sufficient for our purposes (since the idle power is around 20 units for the system right now), but what sort of problems could I expect? Chests overflowing? Lost items? Ocelots and Wolves cross-breeding?

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
What sorts of problems have you run into?

I'm curious, because I have just started a system. It's got 5 dedicated industrial steam engines from one of my boilers set aside to power (you know...growth potential). Last night one of our folks fired up three quarries to rip apart a couple of hollow hills. I assume, for the sake of overkill, that the 200 units of power that I've got allocated was WAY more than sufficient for our purposes (since the idle power is around 20 units for the system right now), but what sort of problems could I expect? Chests overflowing? Lost items? Ocelots and Wolves cross-breeding?

It just uses a lot more power than you think it does. And the MJ side of the equation is slightly less favorable than the EU side depending on your power generation needs.

Just process first with conventional methods then input the processed outputs into AE.

kheeler

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure AE energy usage is quite as bad as you are thinking. According to the AE wiki (http://ae-mod.info/Energy-Usage-Information) the main Controller block uses 6 units of energy per tick (1 unit = 1/2 EU or 1/5 MJ). With 20 ticks per second, this is 120 units used at idle per second. Also noted on the wiki is the cost of moving a single item into the system, at 1 unit of energy (so one stack is 64 units).

So this means, the idle energy usage of the single controller block about equal to moving two stacks of items into your system per second.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure AE energy usage is quite as bad as you are thinking. According to the AE wiki (http://ae-mod.info/Energy-Usage-Information) the main Controller block uses 6 units of energy per tick (1 unit = 1/2 EU or 1/5 MJ). With 20 ticks per second, this is 120 units used at idle per second. Also noted on the wiki is the cost of moving a single item into the system, at 1 unit of energy (so one stack is 64 units).

So this means, the idle energy usage of the single controller block about equal to moving two stacks of items into your system per second.

Right, but multiple quarries will move in a LOT more than just one stack. And if you move things around via AE, your processing starts causing multiples of that function per unit input. Imagine your smelting input inputs it, then immediately outputs it elsewhere into ore processing lines. You might then use AE again to autocraft dusts and then sink those back into the ore chain. It adds up really fast unless you're judicious in your use. And if you do exceed your power capacity then your system behaves in the worst possible way.

It's not impossible, but it's linear to your input. Just be aware of that.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
The fastest I've ever seen a quarry move is about 1 item every .5 seconds. That's only 1 unit of extra power every 10 ticks. If you already have a pulverized set up it will skip storage and go right to the export bus and only use extra power when pulling the 2 generated dusts (or three if you get lucky) back from the import.

AE really does not use a lot of power if you carefully set it up.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

adjl

Jul 29, 2019
Thinking about it, if you're feeding, say, a quarry into an enderchest, then you'd be looking at 1 energy to pull an ore out of the chest and into the network, 1 to pull it from the network and put it in an induction smelter, and then a maximum of 3 energy to pull the two ingots and one potential rich slag from the smelter and back into the network, for a total maximum of 5 energy per processing operation (but only 4 90-95% of the time). If you've got a quarry running at 5 blocks per second (which I believe is about where it ends up with 50 MJ/t behind it), you're still only looking at a maximum of 25 units per second, or 1.2 per tick. That's like 0.25 MJ/t, when you're already going to be using 8 for a smelter and a pulverizer feeding it sand. If you use macerators and electric furnaces instead, then you'd be looking at 8 per ore (one less because no rich slag, four more for pulling two items out of the macerator and putting two into the furnace), but that's still not all that much. With a TE system, you'd have to get past 160 blocks per second to have the I/O cost equal the amount of MJ you're already feeding into your machines, and even then that's just one industrial steam engine, and pretending that 99% of those blocks aren't just cobblestone (which will only cost 1 energy to pull in, since they don't need processing). Plus that MJ can always be converted into EU for a further boost in efficiency.

Really, unless the numbers the wiki gives are wrong, or there's a whole lot of power leakage going on somewhere in the process that my experience-less theorycrafting doesn't account for, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Delcar

Jul 29, 2019
This is so far from the truth as they are facts in the game today, in FTB, that you're either maliciously lying or you haven't used Buildcraft pipes since 1.2.5

Buildcraft is now noticably and measurably better than RP tubes at moving items down the pipe. Furthermore, since we're talking a quarry which auto emits items into pipes while due to Eloraam's intransigent attitude would require some alternative method of initiating items into tubes, the lag creation goes up by an order of magnitude.

Wow; I had to edit myself a bit there. I'm not maliciously lying, or indeed lying at all.

RP2 Tubes don't spit crap on the ground when the destination is full or because I made a sloppy corner.

I use both BC and RP2 and have a preference for the RP2 tubes over longer distances.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Thinking about it, if you're feeding, say, a quarry into an enderchest, then you'd be looking at 1 energy to pull an ore out of the chest and into the network, 1 to pull it from the network and put it in an induction smelter, and then a maximum of 3 energy to pull the two ingots and one potential rich slag from the smelter and back into the network, for a total maximum of 5 energy per processing operation (but only 4 90-95% of the time). If you've got a quarry running at 5 blocks per second (which I believe is about where it ends up with 50 MJ/t behind it), you're still only looking at a maximum of 25 units per second, or 1.2 per tick. That's like 0.25 MJ/t, when you're already going to be using 8 for a smelter and a pulverizer feeding it sand. If you use macerators and electric furnaces instead, then you'd be looking at 8 per ore (one less because no rich slag, four more for pulling two items out of the macerator and putting two into the furnace), but that's still not all that much. With a TE system, you'd have to get past 160 blocks per second to have the I/O cost equal the amount of MJ you're already feeding into your machines, and even then that's just one industrial steam engine, and pretending that 99% of those blocks aren't just cobblestone (which will only cost 1 energy to pull in, since they don't need processing). Plus that MJ can always be converted into EU for a further boost in efficiency.

Really, unless the numbers the wiki gives are wrong, or there's a whole lot of power leakage going on somewhere in the process that my experience-less theorycrafting doesn't account for, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

I think what people get confused about is that a "stack" is not necessarily 64 objects. It's what's in the slot. But my power usage was based off doing a bit more. In a complex processing loop for lots of things with implicit autocrafting requests via export buses, the costs rise quickly. My testworld stuff exceeded an LV EU power supply during peak quarry runs, which surprised me. I had to give it MV.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I think what ppl are getting confused about is regardless of the size of the stack its 1 power per item, not per stack. a full stack of 64 takes 64 power to move if you move it all at once. want to decrease the power usage of your quarries? use a storage buss on your ender set to hold dirt, cobble and gravel. then use an emerald pipe set to a void pipe on it to pull those three out.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I'm trying to buffer my sorting system. My quarry is outputting items at about 3 items per second, into a black Enderchest. I have a Filter attached that sucks items into my white Enderchest that is the input to my sorting system. I trigger the Filter with a 60 second Timer through a 5s State Cell and a Not Gate, then another Timer set to 0.2s. So every minute, the fast timer pulses the Filter 25 times. But the Filter has a speed limit on it, it can only pulse about 3 or 4 times a second, about the same speed as the Quarry, so it always leaves a few items in the black Enderchest.

Any ideas how I can fix this, other than maybe having two Filters triggered by the same timing rig? Or, is there a much simpler way of flushing the entire contents of one chest into another?

Eventually I'll replace it with a Sortron, but I've got two Sortrons connected up to 2 CPUs at the moment and I don't want to build a third CPU. I'll rationalise it when the Bus ID bug is fixed and I can run them all on the same CPU.

Hm, it seems to be catching up occasionally anyway.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Eh. I'd just use a diamond chest instead of 2 enderchests.

The entire point of ender chests/item tesseracts is that you are able to move items around without having to store them all right there on hand.

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to chime in another vote for Applied Energistics for inventory management as well as crafting automation and resource processing.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Wow; I had to edit myself a bit there. I'm not maliciously lying, or indeed lying at all.

RP2 Tubes don't spit crap on the ground when the destination is full or because I made a sloppy corner.

The question, and your answer, referred to lag not dropping items on the ground. Which is a completely avoidable situation with buildcraft as well.

Delcar

Jul 29, 2019
The question, and your answer, referred to lag not dropping items on the ground. Which is a completely avoidable situation with buildcraft as well.
Fine.

I've experienced no noticeable lag with RP2 pipes, and find them easier to avoid spillage.

Edited.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Router + barrels (and overflow system just in case), and Im loving it. Takes a moment to setup all, but works pretty much lag free (no items in tubes/pipes at all).
Yeah I use to be a RP2 tube guy but after seeing how Easy it is to use a router for a sorting system I will never look back Plus with a router you have a giant wall instead of pipes/tubes going everywhere.