Best lagfree sorting system? Pipes vs Tubes

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder, does it matter if you put the same amount of machines in a single chunk or 2 separate ones next to eachother if you load them both anyway?

A player loads 10 chunks each direction around him, imagine they're all 'empty' and you have two scenario's. 1 chunk in front of you with '100 lag' or two chunks with '50 lag' each. Is there a difference in performance?

As I understand it, it's actually better to have all the machines that cause lots of chunk updates in one chunk. There is a saturation point of updates past which it stop mattering for a single chunk.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
I'm really not seeing the 'massive' power requirements for AE. Granted, I haven't completely finished ripping out all the RP2/BC piping yet, but I have a quarry and Steve's Cart 5x5 miner feeding an enderchest (remember kids: Void your Cobble!), raw ores being processed by an Induction Smelter, with a Pulverizer keeping it stocked with sand, and 3 access terminals in various areas of my base. It's running at 36 Units/t, or 7.2 MJ/t.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I'm really not seeing the 'massive' power requirements for AE. Granted, I haven't completely finished ripping out all the RP2/BC piping yet, but I have a quarry and Steve's Cart 5x5 miner feeding an enderchest (remember kids: Void your Cobble!), raw ores being processed by an Induction Smelter, with a Pulverizer keeping it stocked with sand, and 3 access terminals in various areas of my base. It's running at 36 Units/t, or 7.2 MJ/t.

7.2MJ/t is as much as your pulverizer and induction smelter should be drawing together, no?

But try keeping dozens of boilers full of wood, filling multiple ore pipelines from several quarries/enderturtles/whatever, running crafting jobs to clean up the outputs of industrial grinders, etc. 32mj/t is easy to reach.

Reactions: Whovian

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
7.2MJ/t is as much as your pulverizer and induction smelter should be drawing together, no?

But try keeping dozens of boilers full of wood, filling multiple ore pipelines from several quarries/enderturtles/whatever, running crafting jobs to clean up the outputs of industrial grinders, etc. 32mj/t is easy to reach.
Well, yes, 7.2 MJ/t is what the AE network is drawing on its own. And if you have the kind of infrastructure you're describing, even 32 MJ/t should be pretty trivial, I'd imagine. I have a single High Pressure Boiler producing 144 MJ/t, in addition to a small lava set up that I had initially, and haven't bothered to remove, which is more than enough for my needs for the forseeable future. Granted, I built with Extra Bees machines in mind, so my concept of MOAR POWER may be a little broader than those who don't use those energy inhaling machines :p

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
My problem with both tubes and pipes is that while seeing stuff move through them is a nice gimmick for a few minutes, it's really not necessary and most of the time is a waste of rendering power.

Funny story: I used to have the power to my (small) AE system set up a little wrong, such that it would continually flicker on and off :p Sometimes I could even get an item in or out if I timed it just right...

Reactions: Bagman817

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Well, yes, 7.2 MJ/t is what the AE network is drawing on its own. And if you have the kind of infrastructure you're describing, even 32 MJ/t should be pretty trivial, I'd imagine. I have a single High Pressure Boiler producing 144 MJ/t, in addition to a small lava set up that I had initially, and haven't bothered to remove, which is more than enough for my needs for the forseeable future. Granted, I built with Extra Bees machines in mind, so my concept of MOAR POWER may be a little broader than those who don't use those energy inhaling machines :p

I am not saying you won't be able to power it, I'm just saying that 100% energy overhead is not trivial. :D

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
I am not saying you won't be able to power it, I'm just saying that 100% energy overhead is not trivial. :D
Ah, gotcha. You may have a point. My perspective is no doubt informed by the fact I imported an established world into the Ultimate Pack, so the overhead is indeed trivial, in my situation. I think it's fair to consider an AE system to be a mid-game system. If you're still in Stirling Engine power generation, you should probably wait a bit :p