Best food source?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DRH1469

Jul 29, 2019
What would be the best food source, that has the most nutristion and hunger points, and is easy to get hold of and automate a gathering system. I find myself constantly starving to death, and I am to lazy to go and slaughter a bunch of cows. Also maybe from bees? Maybe somthing like a cow spawned or a auto breeding system?

Info: Direwolf20 Pack
Well into the pack, don't have steel yet, but have nether and lots of diamonds

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
It would really depend on your setup. I tend to start with either meat if there's a lot of animals nearby, or mushroom stew if not (1 mushroom + 1 bone meal = about 20 mushrooms).

Then I tend to move onto apples when my tree farm is producing enough. Although I'll use potatoes and carrots if there's a huge gap between the two.

DRH1469

Jul 29, 2019
I have used mushrooms, but don't like how the bowls don't stack, I know the bonemeal trick. I have a village nearby, raided all their plants, but what I'm trying to avoid is long growing times

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I'm living on IC2 recyclers and the scrapbox lottery. You'll get cooked chicken, beef, pork and filled tin cans. I've got plenty of food and not a single animal farm.

SeniLiX

Jul 29, 2019
Carrots are easy to maintain. Make a decent sized field and wait. Once you harvest remember to replant right away. You should end out with a stack+ for eating (If not, make your farm bigger)
By the time you are through with your stack of carrots, the field should be ready to harvest once again.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Well, he asks about the best food source.

And when you have extra bees, ambrosia is not the hardest bee product to get.

And as a food, it is one of the best, even when put against normal golden apples, that do cost resources that need a soul shard to renew.

I would also point out the hydra chops, but they are not that easy to get, as the hydra is a boss that is not that common.

If you are not into bees, golden apples, the enchanted one. I guess that one at least can be considered as a good food source, with all it gives.

Vircomore

Jul 29, 2019
Also, baked potatoes are great if you start farming them. they are easy to farm, stack to 64, and restore 3.5 chops per potato. thats 2x more than bread and its 1:1 potato to baked potato. you just need some charcoal or powered furnace.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
What would be the best food source, that has the most nutristion and hunger points, and is easy to get hold of and automate a gathering system. I find myself constantly starving to death, and I am to lazy to go and slaughter a bunch of cows. Also maybe from bees? Maybe somthing like a cow spawned or a auto breeding system?

Ambrosia, or if that's too much then honeyed bread

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
I have to second potatoes. In two of the SSP worlds I have i found a village pretty quick and got lucky with the farm they had. Also have to say that once you start growing them melons are decent as well but you eat a lot more frequently with melon slices.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
As far as easy of use, it really is hard to beat bread as setting up a wheat farm should be one of the first tasks you do to create a stable food supply. And if you make a nine by nine area (eighty blocks for the water sourceblock in the middle discount), you will have more wheat than you will ever need surely.

After that, it just becomes a game of minimaxing.

ff255away

Jul 29, 2019
My preferred methods can be broken down as the following:
-I start farming potatoes the instant I have a free energy fueled furnace (3 food for a baked potato, and you get 2-3 times as many edibles from potatoes compared to wheat).
-I start mass producing wheat when I have a quantum helmet and/or need a source of the 'change' attribute for tc3 (seeds are awesome for this). Otherwise, carrots become my preferred farmed food (when automated, they are 2/3 as good as baked potatoes without needing to be cooked, and are more than 2 times better than wheat and don't need any additional automation after being plucked from the ground).

There is an alternative to carrots in melon, once you start needing canned food for a quantum helmet. Melon don't grow in the traditional farm style, though, which has always bugged me for some reason. Otherwise, melons are probably the best canned food source in my opinion- a single straw golem farming and a single wood golem collecting behind a canning machine can do absolutely insane things. You could probably fill a barrel with cans before you need to refill once.

I don't farm animals until I need an additional product. So I don't farm pigs, and I don't farm cows and chickens until I need leather and feathers.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
The one problem I have with golems is that they're difficult to control. You can stop the wood golem gatherer by blocking access to the output chest with pistons, but is there any way to automatically stop the straw golem from harvesting crops when the output is full? I've been thinking about some one-way passages I could block, but the golem is mostly moving from crop to crop, and it's difficult to force him into a specific place. How do other people deal with this? Or do you just let the farm running and leave drops on the ground? (While working in the "will not crash the server" sense as they will eventually despawn, still a messy solution. And I don't like messy.)

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't found myself with any food problems recently, but my normal answers echo those given above.

Additionally, if you have regular access to bones, one of the 'bread machine' devices (which might even be easier to make now with redpower...dunno) to plant, bonemeal, and then harvest wheat/potatos/carrots is a good thing to add to your house.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
How do other people deal with this? Or do you just let the farm running and leave drops on the ground? (While working in the "will not crash the server" sense as they will eventually despawn, still a messy solution. And I don't like messy.)

Don't think about trying to automatically stop your straw/wooden golem team. Think of, instead, them, and the farm, as a large multiblock structure that constantly puts out certain amounts of resources in a way that you cannot control (easily, and for this thought exercise, at all). Now, instead, you need to move that control up the line. Have your multiblock farm machine output (in this example) wheat and seeds into a chest in the middle. Have that pumped upwards into a redpower2 filter which will pull stuff out of the chest into a tube network which fills barrels. Use a restriction tube at the end of the network that, when all of the barrels for the type of item is full, leads into a filter aimed at a lava source block (which has been claimed to work identical to void pipes in load because of the way redpower2 deals with that type of action).