Bee Storage?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
With 36 apiaries and 20 different species of bees and growing, I'm struggling to set up my bee storage in an organized way. I'd like to know how others go about this. The problems to overcome are these:

(1) Extra Bees has the Indexer, which is intended for bee storage. It stores up to 1000 bees. However, (1) that's not all that much if you end up with a stack of drones per genome type, and (2) you can't pipe bees into it. LP pipes don't connect, and itemducts do connect but don't do anything.

(2) Applied Energistics: there you have the problem that every genome constitutes a different item type as far as AE is concerned, and the fuzzy formatting doesn't help since these data aren't metadata but something else. Which means that even long-term, after your bees' genomes have stabilized and you get one consistent type of drone per queen, you'll end up with four types per breeding queen: the queen unidentified and identified, and the drones identified and unidentified. That the princesses you find all stack by species means that they are genetically identical. Crossbreed one, and the next generation won't fit the same formatting slot, fuzzy or not. Which means that AE storage is simply not suitable while you're crossbreeding, and every time you use an Extra Bees machine to manipulate some bee, you'll have to reformat your storage cell. I have found no way to tell a storage cell "only bees allowed, but all of them".

(3) Well, I could create an AE subnetwork just for bees with lots of 1k storage cells. Except that to my surprise, it is also not possible to tell my Logistics Pipes system, which handles transportation from the apiaries to the storage system, that "all bees go here". The BeeSink module does not appear to work at all - I've tried to route all princesses to an Apiarist's chest and drones to another with this. The Apiary Refiller module works perfectly, as well as the drone terminus, but the BeeSink appears to have a problem (maybe that's because it can't handle Extra Bees/Magic Bees species?). I've also tried to route Princesses/Drones to a separate chest with a standard ItemSink module since they all have the same two item IDs but that also won't work.

(4) What I really need is a way to sort bees by species, so that I can differentiate between the stable production lines which need to be automated and the ones I'm crossbreeding which require manual intervention anyway. For the former, I might just keep a stack of drones and route the rest to the GenePool. Except, the only tool I know which can sort by species - the LP BeeSink - does not appear to work as it should. Apiarist's Pipes don't work in an LP system with active routing - it confuses the hell out of the LP system.

At the moment, bee storage requires a lot of manual intervention. So far that's ok since I'm mostly occupied with bees anyway, but things change, and then I want a more automated system.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Well, I tend to use my ME network for just the "finished" bees in my production alvearies. Sorting by species works fine for that.

Anything which is part of my current or planned breeding program I keep in a series of apiarist chests until I need them. I generally run my breeding apiaries manually, given that I know what i'm looking for and my automated systems generally don't.

Anything else gets put in the genepool and turned into lovely purple goo.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Well, I tend to use my ME network for just the "finished" bees in my production alvearies. Sorting by species works fine for that.

Anything which is part of my current or planned breeding program I keep in a series of apiarist chests until I need them. I generally run my breeding apiaries manually, given that I know what i'm looking for and my automated systems generally don't.

Anything else gets put in the genepool and turned into lovely purple goo.
So...pointing an import bus at your "buffer" chest to import specific species of production lines works? As far as I'm aware of, if you have two or more queens of one species their drones consititute different item stacks in an ME network unless their genomes are 100% identical, including the hidden traits you don't see. Then you take out a few drones and analyze them and behold....you have another new item stack.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
Your information is off. I use the indexer and it stores way more then a 1000 bees. Second a fuzzy export bus with the damage indicator set to match any damage not 99 percent will allow all drones to be piped into the indexer then I attach a storage bus on the top of the indexer and poof you get bees in your ME search but it doesnt take up any space. I literally am doing this in my current world with no problems.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
So...pointing an import bus at your "buffer" chest to import specific species of production lines works? As far as I'm aware of, if you have two or more queens of one species their drones consititute different item stacks in an ME network unless their genomes are 100% identical, including the hidden traits you don't see. Then you take out a few drones and analyze them and behold....you have another new item stack.

That's the thing, the way I do it my buffer chest is only for combs and produce. I use BC pipes to output from my breeding apiaries and separate the bees from the extras into different chests. Input is manual, since I know what i'm looking for and Colin has little understanding of such things.

The only bees in my ME network will be the ones that go into my production alvearies. The alvearies are connected directly with import and fuzzy export buses filtering by species. All the bees in my ME network are ones that i've put there myself by hand after breeding and then modifying them in my extra bee machines to max out their traits. Well, there's also the offspring they produce, but those are all identical so you get one stack per species.

All the bees in my breeding system are kept separate deliberately, so as not to get unwanted traits into the population.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Your information is off. I use the indexer and it stores way more then a 1000 bees. Second a fuzzy export bus with the damage indicator set to match any damage not 99 percent will allow all drones to be piped into the indexer then I attach a storage bus on the top of the indexer and poof you get bees in your ME search but it doesnt take up any space. I literally am doing this in my current world with no problems.
Let me get this straight: LP pipes won't connect with an Indexer but ME export buses can?

Zorkk

Jul 29, 2019

So, I think part of your issue might be the analyzing step. Yes, to a ME system the exact same bee drone, with 1 analysed and 1 not will act as different types. So for your finished line of bees. Export the unidentified drones back into the apiary. ME can see the NBT data even tho you can't.

Preformat your cell with the unidentified bee you wish to store.

Again, as someone else mentioned, only use ME for your finished line of bees. Just trash or turn into DNA any leftover bees. Any bees your breeding just use normal chest to store until you've reached the traits you want.

Z

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Yes that is correct.[DOUBLEPOST=1402582378][/DOUBLEPOST]I can upload a screen shot if you like of how I have it setup.
I'd like to see that, yes. NTW, I've created a similar export/storage bus setup to solve other problems, so I know the principle. It's just that I didn't expect ME buses to work where LP pipes won't.

What I would like to know is how you get your bees into the ME network in the first place? LP's "Apiary Refiller module" is too compact a solution to bother with anything else, but bee routing in an LP system has turned out to be buggy, even if it's just "dump all bees into the ME interface".

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Why are you keeping bees?

Obviously I have my working hives, full of queens and drones, but for storage I keep one queen of each species, just-in-case, everything else gets turned into DNA.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Why are you keeping bees?

Obviously I have my working hives, full of queens and drones, but for storage I keep one queen of each species, just-in-case, everything else gets turned into DNA.
How do you automate apiary refilling? The LP module puts one drone and one princess back into the apiary and sends everything else into the network, so I don't have a stack of drones in every apiary. I need some excess drones for crossbreeding though, so I need to store them. Using itemducts to automate apiary refilling, you'll need three blocks per apiary to do the same instead of one and the piping is visible above ground.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
How do you automate apiary refilling? The LP module puts one drone and one princess back into the apiary and sends everything else into the network, so I don't have a stack of drones in every apiary. I need some excess drones for crossbreeding though, so I need to store them. Using itemducts to automate apiary refilling, you'll need three blocks per apiary to do the same instead of one and the piping is visible above ground.

Gendustry industrial apairy with automation module. EnderIO for the all-in-one-cable so power and items can be transmitted out-of-sight.

Zorkk

Jul 29, 2019

On apiarys or alvearys i just use a basic me import bus to to get everything into my ME network, then I use a precision export bus, to put the princess and drones back in. Yes there will be a stack of drones in it, but no big deal.

Z

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Gendustry industrial apairy with automation module. EnderIO for the all-in-one-cable so power and items can be transmitted out-of-sight.
Yeah right. I don't have Gendustry, and I have the feeling that EnderIO transport ducts/cables don't forward Logistics Pipes routings. Or do they?

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah right. I don't have Gendustry, and I have the feeling that EnderIO transport ducts/cables don't forward Logistics Pipes routings. Or do they?
They don't. They don't even connect to BC pipes.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
With bees, I just scrap the mutts. If I make a bee I like, with all the traits I want, and start an automation line with it. then I'll make a dedicated barrel for them. I love using JABBA for mass storage because of the void upgrade. You can make it store 500 stacks of drones, and when it fills up then it will just void everything else that goes in. This works really well with storage buses. In agrarian skies, I store all the automated base resources in barrels with storage buses. This way I don't have to configure a separate trash can and can save on resources by using itemducts straight into an ME interface. And now I'm rambling a bit. Urgh.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I don't keep any bees. I only keep the serum vials. I'm too lazy to count them, but I have three diamond chests, one of them has all my trait serums with some species overflow, the other two chest are organized manually by Forestry and Extra Bees species, and Magic Bee species. In this current Monster world I'm playing, I think I've made about 95% of the bee species. Some just aren't worth making but most do have some function somewhere along the way.

The only bees I keep in a chest are a few "Super Bee" pairs, which is just a princess and a matching drone that has all the best traits with max fertility/shortest lifespan for breeding more... and then I have my "Production Bees" which are Super Bees except they have lowest fertility and longest lifespan. Lowest fertility means no drone build-up in my system.

When I want to mass-produce a new bee raw material, I take a Production Bee pair and put the proper species onto them, then throw em in an alveary and away they go.

I use AE precision export buses to send my bee pairs back to the alveary from my AE system once the Queen generates a new princess/drone pair. This means I can only have one bee species working at any one time otherwise the bus might not put them into the proper alveary. It's a limitation I can live with since I got tired of using buildcraft pipes for my bees. I have a bee making just about any raw material I could need, and they keep cranking it all out around the clock nonstop (7x7 layout = 49 alvearies currently). I also use a ton of basic export busses to keep my alvearies stocked with impregnated frames (one on each frame holder block).

Edit: I did need certus quartz early on (to make all the busses!) so I did get three Quantum bees working. But I only had one using the AE bus, the other two alvearies had to use the old buildcraft method with an apiarist's pipe to send the bees back to the alveary each generation. Either way works fine, with the one limitation I've noted.

tl;dr: For me, bees have always been manually intensive until I reach this point... then it's not intensive at all, it's "set-and-forget". I enjoy the manually intensive part of breeding bees from Meadows/Forest and making all the different species. But that's just me. :)

Last edited:

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Filing cabinets could work for this, as they sort things alphabetically and you can throw all (or most) of your drones into one of them.
There's also the fun of having a cabinet full of bees.