Bee Breeding Thread.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Was your apiary full of items? I read on the wiki that the princess is the last item deposited into the output slots. If there wasn't enough room for the princess when it died, it is lost.

Sicrosis

Jul 29, 2019
This is pollination. It determines how fast will the leaves around the apiary crossbreed when the bees are working and maybe how fast flowers are created.
I thought that might be it but i didnt wanna say anything to anyone else without confirming it. ty

BlueDragoon212

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible to recieve extra Princess's from breeding, or is it just the princess's you've started out with? IE if I'm breeding 3 princess pure bred or even mutations, will I ever come out with 4? Or is it always 3? Besides from them eventually dying through over breeding.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I know of no way to get extra princesses except by finding hives in the world. The natural hives will give a princess that is infinitely recyclable. if you found 3 princesses, you will always have 3 princesses. The only exception to this is the swarmer hive. These hives produce a princess with a [-] in the name. They will die after a while. The ones you get from natural hives will never die off.

magma11

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a question. Ive been breeding my bees for many days now, but despite my efforts, I cant seem to breed past "Slow" speed. Does anyone know how to get fast, faster, and fastest bees?

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Bee characteristics can't be simply upgraded. Every specie of bee have certain characteristics, you can get other speeds only from mutating into correct specie and making sure that it will not be breed out by accident. For fast speed you want cultivated bees, fastest is only available through some thaumic bee, but I haven't played with them yet.

magma11

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you. So, I have to re-breed my common/forrest and common/meadows and hope it mutates into the correct speed cultivated? My current ones are slow.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. Analyze all drones that you will get to increase your chance of preserving this gene and don't throw out ones having it, RNG can sometimes be a bitch.

Reactions: magma11

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
One of the tricks I use for breeding a pure line with all the mutated (i.e. bee specific) traits is to breed the common/mundane bees until I get several half-breed cultivated drones (of if lucky a pure bred drone), and a half-breed cultivated princess. Once I have a princess and a drone that have the mutated strain (cultivated in this case), I breed those together and hope the RNG likes me. If it does, I end up with a pure breed strain along with the desired traits, if not, I can try cross breeding the other half-breed strains and hope I get what I want. If not through luck, then through brute force. You can use soul frames to increase the mutation chance.

A good tool to use with this is the apiarist database from extra bees. Once you discover the strain, you can use the database to show you all the natural traits of the bee. Then you can see if you really care about the new traits or not and breed accordingly.

Ashner

Jul 29, 2019
I need some help, My queen bees died and didn't give me any princess. Is this a bug?

Same here, I have lost a dozen of my queens/princesses like this. Is this a bug? Or do items disappear from tubes when you disconnect?

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I've never had bees die in the MindCrack pack - although it did happen in the FTB Beta pack. Now, if an apiary/alveary fills, the princess gets held in an invisible inventory slot and will appear when you empty one of the normal slots.

Note that there _is_ a Forestry config option to give a chance for princesses to die off, but it's not on by default for any FTB pack. If you use Velotican's "insanity mode" config pack, it _is_ on.

Ashner

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using an automated build using buildcraft pipes and gates. Everything works fine, just some _random_ princesses seem to die. Which is odd :|... on DireWolf20 pack btw.

2013-03-02_13.03.44.png

noleosis

Jul 29, 2019
I've been having a problem with all of my icy+1 bees.

6h69zn.png

They say that they are in a hostile environment (they aren't). If I break and replay the apiaries they work again, but I have to do that every time I log back in. I've even had to replace them after I've gone far enough away that the chunks unload. Might anyone know what is causing this or possibly how to fix it?

On a somewhat unrelated note I've been trying my hand at tree breeding. It was going well at first but sense this last update the mutated leave have started looking exactly the same as all the others with no color change to the leaves. The fruit it the leaves still ripen though, with or without a texture pack/optifine. The only way I can pick out a mutation is because they change to pink on the mini map. Any thoughts?

Chesham

Jul 29, 2019
Just out of curiosity, has anyone been able to breed the bleached bee? From what I've read, it's supposed to be wintry + valiant at a 5% chance, but I've tried twice now in my cheaty mutator filled alveary and not gotten it, it doesn't even consume the 2 uranium I used, which should make it a 100% chance of mutation.

DrRed

Jul 29, 2019
Just out of curiosity, has anyone been able to breed the bleached bee? From what I've read, it's supposed to be wintry + valiant at a 5% chance, but I've tried twice now in my cheaty mutator filled alveary and not gotten it, it doesn't even consume the 2 uranium I used, which should make it a 100% chance of mutation.

I got one accidentally, I don't even know what I bred! It was when I first started bees when I found apiaries in a village.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019

Did you accidentally leave the game or go to the other dimension (like the nether) while breeding? The 2 uranium should be consumed no matter if the combination was correct or not, if it's not consumed then it's the same as the frame housing bug, where the frame inside frame housing is ignored (not used) and frame housing acts like a normal alveary block until you break and reposition it. So take out those 2 uranium, reposition the mutator block and try it again :D

Chesham

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I posted on the minecraftforum thread and figured that out from the replies there. The alveary is in a chunkloaded area on a server, but apparently it somehow was affected by that bug. :/

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I posted on the minecraftforum thread and figured that out from the replies there. The alveary is in a chunkloaded area on a server, but apparently it somehow was affected by that bug. :/

Yeah, the bug also happen when you travel to other dimension even if the chunk is loaded.

killrbladez

Jul 29, 2019
I just started messing around with bees, trying to get mutations on trees, and with bees. I got 2 excited princesses, trying to figure out what flowers they needed (With them in the apiaries) then I sadly found out what they did. I lost my tree farm because of them, but 1 bee wasn't losing health while the other was. So what flowers do excited bees require?

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
I just started messing around with bees, trying to get mutations on trees, and with bees. I got 2 excited princesses, trying to figure out what flowers they needed (With them in the apiaries) then I sadly found out what they did. I lost my tree farm because of them, but 1 bee wasn't losing health while the other was. So what flowers do excited bees require?
http://mc.nessirojgaming.eu/bees/index.php?title=Excited_Bee

Redstone Torches.