Bee Breeding Thread.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
I'm really trying to get in to the bee aspect but for some reason my queens are not dying. I have flowers right next to the apiary and bees flying all over the biomes but the queens health NEVER changes. What am I missing?
When you look into your apiary, you have some hints on the right side. Does one of them state, that you are in the wrong biome? (e.g. desert bees in a forest)

Ckuhner

Jul 29, 2019
None are showing that they are in the wrong biome from what I can tell, I've added a few pics so you can see most of what I see

2012-12-20_09.14.38.png

2012-12-20_09.15.23.png

2012-12-20_09.15.35.png

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
None are showing that they are in the wrong biome from what I can tell, I've added a few pics so you can see most of what I see

Hmm that's strange. The meadows queen won't work because it needs normal temperature and humidity (as you can see in the mousover-text), and you are in a icy / arid biome. But the wintry queens should work fine. Are they freshly "harvested" purebreds? If not maybe they need some special kind of flowers, try running them through your beealyzer/analyzer...

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Wintry needs icy/normal (works also in cold/normal) and uses normal flowers.
Strange, that you don't get the hint about wrong climate.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019

Sometimes you have to pull the queen out and put her back in to see what is wrong. If you haven't tried that give it a shot.

Reactions: Spikednate12

Ckuhner

Jul 29, 2019
So, here is one after running it through the beealyzer. when putting them all back I get the hostile environment but that eventually goes away and i get the bees flying around. Every bee I analyze just says flowers. Do I maybe need more than just one or two around?

Thanks for the help so far! I really appreciate it!

2012-12-20_10.31.05.png

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
So, here is one after running it through the beealyzer. when putting them all back I get the hostile environment but that eventually goes away and i get the bees flying around. Every bee I analyze just says flowers. Do I maybe need more than just one or two around?

Thanks for the help so far! I really appreciate it!

2012-12-20_10.31.05.png
Only 1 flower/vine/mushroom/cactus are needed in the area of the apiaries.

What biome are you in? My wintery work fine in taiga with flowers next to them.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
Tundra is icy/arid.

You need to raise your wintry in one that is normal. In other words, not in an arid climate.[DOUBLEPOST=1356030508][/DOUBLEPOST]I suggest making a mystcraft world with these settings.

Tiny biomes
Plains, Forest, Swamp, Taiga, Jungle, Desert.
Eternal Day
Bright
Sky/Clouds/Sunset/Fog any color you want, but pick one for each.
Star fissures (just in case you forget a book)

This will keep all of your biomes close enough together that you can do all of the basic ones in one general area. At most you will only have to move your apiaries a couple of blocks to get in the correct biome.

Also add flat to the above build, forgot to put that one in.

Ckuhner

Jul 29, 2019
Mero, thanks! that was the key. I moved some of mine to other areas that were more specific in their climate and they are working. Thanks again for all of the help!

Rakankrad

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I dunno why it wasn't telling you about the hostile environment. As I mentioned before in this thread, Icy Wasteland is also a Cold/Arid biome and I can still find Glacial Bees but can't breed them in there.

Ckuhner

Jul 29, 2019
Yea it would say hostile but then that would go away and the bees would all be flying around but never have the queen die and leave drones and princesses. Just glad it's working for me now. I'm trying to increase my backpack sizes and I cant do it with out the bees working. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Bartek

Jul 29, 2019
HI

I just started my little bee colony, but I have problems with princesses. The wiki says, upon dying queen will ALWAYS produce 1 new princess and some drones, but in my case it doesn't do that always. I already lost 2 out of 5 queens/princesses and 2 apiaries are full of drones without queen. Once, I removed one drone and on it's place showed up princess. So now I dont really know why that happened.

Do I have to leave always 2-3 free spots in the apiary so my princess wont disappear?
What if I ledave it for longer period of time and it will be full again?

Is there a way to get more princesses so I can puthem in atm empty hives? I could go and find some more hives, but eventually I would stuck on it again.

Codex

Jul 29, 2019
The princesses do not disappear Bartek, due to the way Apiaries work, things can get hidden behind a mountain of drones, pull out all the drones and place them in an Apiarist's Chest for maximum storage.

Bartek

Jul 29, 2019
Well, somehow I lost those 2. I'm not yet @ apiarist chest level, I have only 6 apiaries of one kind for testing/lerning. Anyway, I took all drone manually and there was no princesses behind them.

and one other thing, why so many blocks are missing from Extra bees mod? I cant find all gene splicing things and climate changer and so on.

Daeden

Jul 29, 2019
could do with some tips on how to get my be breeding automated with red power cant figure it out :s

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't automate bees with redpower, BC pipes are a lot better in this case. They will only put princesses and drones where they can fit and RP will treat all slots in apiary the same. Overall BC is better for separate systems and RP2 for binding these systems together. You could use some regulators/managers etc., but it is just not worth it.

Atdiy

Jul 29, 2019
For those who want to know what all of the temps and humidities are: http://tymkrs.tumblr.com/post/38153689609/minecraft-ftb-biomes - I may be missing a few but I'm running around with an apiary collecting them (since I can't find this information anywhere else). (And let me know if there are missing biomes - I update them all the time)

And a video we did on bee-breeding too:

We'll post a automatic bee cloner and bee keeping system soon I hope!

And the bees I have pure so far: Obviously Forest/Meadow, Common, Cultivated, Noble, Majestic, Imperial, Valiant, Jungle, Unweary, Diligent, Industrious, Rural, Ender, Wintry, Modest, and I'm sure I could get Marshy if I put mushrooms somewhere.

Pic of the Hive Ship (where we're doing all of this): http://i49.tinypic.com/2n8bsds.png - it's a fully automated bee cloning ship :)