Bee Breeding Thread.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Necr0maNceR

Jul 29, 2019
According to my apiary, my purebred sinister queen is in a hostile environment. This is an issue because the habitat locater says its preferred biome is the Nether, and I'm in the Nether. I've bred plenty of sinister queens (along with fiendish and demonic queens) in that apiary and had no trouble. The queen prefers nether flowers, which it has plenty of, and requires a Hellish climate with a Temp.Tol of 0, and a Humidity of Arid with a Humid.Tol. of 0.

I have no idea what is wrong. I've attached screenshots with more info below. This took place in Feed The Beast Beta Pack A, by the way.
Screen Shot 2013-01-03 at 2.46.08 PM.png Screen Shot 2013-01-03 at 2.46.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-01-03 at 2.46.59 PM.png

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
According to my apiary, my purebred sinister queen is in a hostile environment. This is an issue because the habitat locater says its preferred biome is the Nether, and I'm in the Nether. I've bred plenty of sinister queens (along with fiendish and demonic queens) in that apiary and had no trouble. The queen prefers nether flowers, which it has plenty of, and requires a Hellish climate with a Temp.Tol of 0, and a Humidity of Arid with a Humid.Tol. of 0.

I have no idea what is wrong. I've attached screenshots with more info below. This took place in Feed The Beast Beta Pack A, by the way.
View attachment 962 View attachment 963View attachment 964
That is a bug in the version of Forestry in the beta A pack there was no workaround I don't believe other than updating Forestry. Even the Alveary didn't allow that particular strain to work.

Necr0maNceR

Jul 29, 2019
Well, damn. That's too bad. Thanks for the info though. The admin for our server is going to try to manually update it this saturday by using the Mindcrack mod pack and changing a few mods, so hopefully that will fix things.

momo

Jul 29, 2019
I just started breeding bees, mostly because I want to make silk wisps. I found some apiaries in a village and took them out to a nice little spot in the jungle and added some tropical bees. I started out with just the 2 apiaries, but then I added 2 more once I got the machines I needed to make impregnated frames up and running. I ran into this weird problem though, where the bees will only breed in one of my apiaries now. When I put princesses and drones into the other 3, they don't do anything. Before I added the other two, the first two worked just fine. I've tried different bees, moving the apiaries, changing out the frames, but they still won't breed in those 3 apiaries. Anybody got any ideas on what's going wrong?

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
I just started breeding bees, mostly because I want to make silk wisps. I found some apiaries in a village and took them out to a nice little spot in the jungle and added some tropical bees. I started out with just the 2 apiaries, but then I added 2 more once I got the machines I needed to make impregnated frames up and running. I ran into this weird problem though, where the bees will only breed in one of my apiaries now. When I put princesses and drones into the other 3, they don't do anything. Before I added the other two, the first two worked just fine. I've tried different bees, moving the apiaries, changing out the frames, but they still won't breed in those 3 apiaries. Anybody got any ideas on what's going wrong?

Mouse over the right side of the Apiary interface. There should be some tabs indicating the needs of the bees. I suspect you might not have a strait shot to the sun above the apiary or you may not have jungle vines close enough to those few that don't work. Your jungle bees need no blocks directly above the apiary to block the sun and their flower type is probably vines.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
The bees also have a temperature/humidity they want, and how much they tolerate.

If you have cross-bred bees, it might just be that they can't work in jungle, or that they want other kind of "flowers"...

Check the princesses in the beealyser.

wzzl

Jul 29, 2019
As if things were not confusing enough already I just got two princesses from one queen. I bred my rocky queen with a common drone and it produced a marshy princess and a common princess, a rocky drone and a cultivated drone, a whacky combination in itself.. I thought it was impossible to get two princesses from a queen. Is this a bug?

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
Definitely sounds like a bug... You shouldn't be able to get a marshy princess from that combination in any way. And that doesnt even cover the multiple princesses deal, which shouldn't happen either.

wzzl

Jul 29, 2019
Also, I'm still not sure how this heridity thing works exactly. I know all about the dominant/recessive process, and i take that each of the two genes for a trait has equal chance to go into the next generation, which makes sense for traits like flyer/no flyer. But is this also the way it works for genes with a spectrum of possibilities such as lifespan? In real life if you have a genotype of a long life gene and a short life gene it will result in a average life fenotype.

Also, I'm at a point where I have so many different species that it's no longer possible to try each combination of interbreeding, there's just too many possibilities. How do I find new species when there is also a large chance that the mutation won't occur?

Rakankrad

Jul 29, 2019
It won't average out genotypes. If one is a short life and one a long life, the offspring will get either short, long or both (one in active and one in inactive).

For the mutations, it depends on if you're willing to get spoilered. In which case, look a few pages back, I posted a spreadsheet that has all of the breeds posted in it.

Edit: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgYOUdPlRXN-dHpUbUlQaVVEdW8yN2RWbnZWbENBMlE#gid=0 .. looks like I posted it in another bee breeding thread, not this one.

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
All good questions and I only have a few possible answers, I'm by no means an expert. As far as genotype and fenotype, while that is how it works in real life I dont believe the concept of fenotype applies in bees. It's either one or the other never a blending of the two. But of course I could be wrong about that in regards to speed or lifespan. As for the combinations, well that is probably the toughest part about bee breeding. Some of the different frames added by extra bees help with the chance of getting a mutation (Soul Frames). The only way I can rationally think about it is to go slow. Build up a base (2 or 3 pure queens) of a type you want to work with and use those drones to breed into further steps. Don't lose those queens/princesses until you are sure you'll never need those types of bees again.

BhrandonOwnz1

Jul 29, 2019
So I recently picked up this design for my bee automation, But what's happening is the bees are stacking up inside the apiary and sometimes if the drone slot is already occupied the Princess and other drones won't get extracted from the machine causing the sorting machine to jam until the drone is removed from the slot.

So my questions are, How do I make it so the sorting machine will only put 1 drone into the drone slot and the excess into my gene pools?
Also I've been told BC is the way to go now for Automated Bee keeping. I haven't played much with BC besides Tools and Machines, How would I go about using BC with Bee keeping?

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
So I recently picked up this design for my bee automation, But what's happening is the bees are stacking up inside the apiary and sometimes if the drone slot is already occupied the Princess and other drones won't get extracted from the machine causing the sorting machine to jam until the drone is removed from the slot.

So my questions are, How do I make it so the sorting machine will only put 1 drone into the drone slot and the excess into my gene pools?
Also I've been told BC is the way to go now for Automated Bee keeping. I haven't played much with BC besides Tools and Machines, How would I go about using BC with Bee keeping?

at the bottom of page three on the thread below, I have this same design. it might be a bit easier to see expanded out and only one apiary. I have two redpower design guides. one using tier1 machines, and another using tier2 (sorters). You just take the same design I show, and connect the outputs.

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/beekeeping-guide-yay-or-nay.7173/page-3

p.s. at the top of page 3, I also have a buildcraft version. you can use diamond or apiarist pipes with the design.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

I don't understand why people complicate bee automation so much. It's stupid stupid easy with apiarist pipes.

A wooden pipe extracting, a redstone engine, lever, one apiarist pipe set to "Any Bees" in the direction of the apiary and "Anything" in the direction of your comb processing/drone squishing. You'll never lose a princess, or leave her without a drone.
2013-02-02_21.47.25.png

Unfortunately this picture is nearly worthless, but I can't disassemble the Alveary. Two side by side, the wooden pipe is in the middle of one side, with the apiarist pipe in the corner ("white" is any bees") and then two iron pipes to make sure everything else goes to the relay instead of swapping drones. I use a different setup when I have two bees of the same breed, using only one apiarist pipe between them.

2013-02-02_21.50.20.png

Forgot I had this setup. Red and Blue are "Any Bees", Yellow is "Anything". Bees will always go to one or the other apiary _if_they_can_ and only pick the "Anything" route if they can't go in either.

Reactions: KoreRekon

Sicrosis

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, I give up. The internet and bees win. Someone please tell me what the Pollin. effect is for in the beealyzer >.<

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
This is pollination. It determines how fast will the leaves around the apiary crossbreed when the bees are working and maybe how fast flowers are created.