BC quarry and Blulectric engines.

graydaze

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone managed to get a bc quarry running at full speed using rp blulectric engines?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
For the moment it seems that quarries reach their full speed at roughly 50 MJ/t, which would mean you'll need two blulectric engines (one produces 30 MJ/t tops) and feed them a staggering 50 kW of power.

How much is 50 kW? Well, if your blutricity network is fully charged at 100V, then 5 solar panels produce 1 KV, so 250 solar panels produce 50 kW. On the other hand, if your blutricity network is hanging around at 60V because power generation can't keep up with demand, then you need slightly more than 9 solar panels for the same 1 kW, meaning a total of ca. 455 solar panels for the whole 50 kW, and that's not even counting distance based energy losses yet. Good luck digging up that much nikolite! ;) EDIT: Oh, and by the way? That only works during the day...

Windmills seem to generate up to 5 kW at 100% speed, but it's really hard to get them that high. 1-3 kW is more realistic, depending on how you set them up.

Also note that right now, blulectric engines don't connect to energy conduits. Directly connected to a quarry, they will likely be unable to put their full output to use (due to the huge sums of MJ dumped per piston stroke at 25-30 MJ/t and the limited MJ intake per tick of the quarry). And wooden conductive pipes are quite lossy. So add even more extra power on top for these inefficiencies.

Cloud

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's better to use rc steam engines, combustion engines or magnetic engines to power a full speed quarry.
However, the animation for the blulectric engines looks nicer compared to the rest.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
You can hook up Blutric engines to a redstone energy cell tho ;) And power your quarry using those

normskilight

Jul 29, 2019
Hey folks this is my setup and the results are nowhere near the new 50 MJ/t full quarry speed but they're ok. (half the old max quarry speed of 9MJ/t)
This is 32 solar panels so 64 Amps at a little under 70 Volts (4480W).

Using the redstone energy cell as a buffer i was able to measure the MJ/t between 4 and 5 (Max output set
to 4 is slowly charges and set to 5 it slowly discharges) and that helped confirm my math that i was producing 4.48 MJ/t.

i'm sure Omicrons math above is perfect but i thought i'd try to give what i think is the simple figure that we all just want
to know about power BC Quarry's with Blutricity and here it is:

Red power solar panel produce 0.14 MJ/t

So 2 Blulectric engines are required to reach top speed but they don't have to run at full power so i calculate top speed to require
slightly less solar panels then Omicron suggest, but i'm not splitting hairs, its still hundreds of solar panels.
So this is a bad setup right?
Well not really, the solar panels are so cheap to make. How much Nikolite do you have sitting in chests doing nothing? or even still sat in the cave walls because there is so much of it?

so as long as you don't have the Greg tech expensive recipes turned on (quarry is much more expensive) then this is not a bad early days set and forget build i think.

Oh and here's a thought.....we actually need to produce 100 MJ/t during the day if we want it to work through the night. ;)

2013-01-07_22.21.19.jpg

Pro Tip: make sure any solar panels you use (RP2 or IC) are inside the chunks that the quarry keeps alive. (world anchors are expensive these days ;) )

graydaze

Jul 29, 2019
I got a quarry on top of a large hollow hill in the twilight. Best ideas for nighttime quarries?
Probably the most practical method is to use enderchest to transfer fuel/energy from the overworld to your twilight forest engines.

ghostslayer16

Jul 29, 2019
Kinda late but thought I might include this, if you are on the Mindcrack pack try using tesseracts to transmit energy across dimensions, it works like a charm as long as both chunks are loaded (Chunk Loader)

Treita

Jul 29, 2019
I am currently running a quarry on Redstone energy cells. Digging space is a 10x10 hole(inside the frame) and one cell dug 38 blocks down before going dry in round 30 minutes. After burning some energy to set up, it dug out 3815 blocks.
There's only one problem: 9 solar panels took two real-time days to fill the cell to get +/-30 minutes of power.[DOUBLEPOST=1374983421][/DOUBLEPOST]
Probably the most practical method is to use enderchest to transfer fuel/energy from the overworld to your twilight forest engines.
I think he was asking what to do to get it running at night. Use one of those light detectors so that when it's light outside it turns on the Blulectric engine and runs on solar power, but at night it activates a combustion engine, or something like that, to run on another type of fuel. Kind of like a hybrid car.
*Edit* At first, I had thought that Graydaze was talking about transferring items. Sounds like he's got the best idea for running a twilight quarry.