!Base Themes!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Surfer72

Jul 29, 2019
Hi Guys, Here's a Discussion point! Whats the theme of you FTB base. I am an artsy fellow and have gotten in the mood to start a new world on ftb. I build on the Mithrintia Vanilla server so I consider myself ok at building. If you guys got any cool and interesting base ideas then post them below:)

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
My theme for one base has been "treetop village" amidst the branches of a redwood tree. :)

If you're playing with the new Natura, could try your hand at making a Nether base using the new spawning pillar to set your spawn and Extrautil lighting to keep the pigmen out. Bonus points if the base is submerged in lava. :D

Sub

Jul 29, 2019
One big mansion everytime you need more room or space for a new mod you add more rooms to it above it or to the sides.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
My theme is "aesthetically pleasing" no wires\pipes running all over the place, machines in logical positions and trying for a rustic look (not really succeeding too well but it's close)

Reactions: MigukNamja

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I usually try for something like "quiet village; the best cover for an underground supercomplex."

Houses go on top for manual jobs, all automation/testing/cool moving parts go underground.

The best part is the secret entrances. And the jarring transition from the middle ages to the FFUUUUUTTUUUREEE!~

CapturetheBomb

Jul 29, 2019
My bases are generally done in the style of Dwarven mines. Massive hollowed out areas with support beams holding up the roof, with much of the buildings built right into the stone. Any deep canyons I find get filled in with the flood gate to create huge underground lakes. Landscapes are relatively untouched, except for the grand entrances.

Surfer72

Jul 29, 2019
Idea/challenge: Can you make a mobile base?
:eek:wat[DOUBLEPOST=1388375066][/DOUBLEPOST]
My theme is "aesthetically pleasing" no wires\pipes running all over the place, machines in logical positions and trying for a rustic look (not really succeeding too well but it's close)
Ya but depending on your build, wires can add a lot. Even if they are not functional. If your going for scientific or mechanical, its actually ascetic to have wires in certain places, though i would not advise it for rooftop villages such as Spiteful’s:D

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Surfer72

Jul 29, 2019
I usually try for something like "quiet village; the best cover for an underground supercomplex."

Houses go on top for manual jobs, all automation/testing/cool moving parts go underground.

The best part is the secret entrances. And the jarring transition from the middle ages to the FFUUUUUTTUUUREEE!~
To you Jess, the theme is really cool but i usually like to go for an insanely dramatic and overcomplicated approach, and while underground labs are always fun, it doesn’t get the wow factor of an overground structure. But thats Just me being stubborn, your base is probably great!

Reactions: Jess887cp

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
Mine are like CapturetheBomb's, it's just hard to find a suitable location for it (I like sheer cliff faces like when an Alps biome meets a plains)

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
:eek:wat[DOUBLEPOST=1388375066][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ya but depending on your build, wires can add a lot. Even if they are not functional. If your going for scientific or mechanical, its actually ascetic to have wires in certain places, though i would not advise it for rooftop villages such as Spiteful’s:D

Yeah. I really love the look of exposed wiring and pipes. I try to have as many protruding and obvious pipes as possible to make it feel like the entire building is one giant machine you're walking around inside.

But obviously not in the "treetop village" I'm currently building. :p Doubly so since it's a magic-only modpack. >_>

CapturetheBomb

Jul 29, 2019
Mine are like CapturetheBomb's, it's just hard to find a suitable location for it (I like sheer cliff faces like when an Alps biome meets a plains)
Ditto on the locations. I sometimes have to cave and use the filler to create a mountain of stone to shape if the hills aren't as wide as I would like them to be. My goal is to create an Erebor-like feeling. With Thaumcraft's new lanterns, it makes lighting the place without unsightly torches much easier.

Surfer72

Jul 29, 2019
Ditto on the locations. I sometimes have to cave and use the filler to create a mountain of stone to shape if the hills aren't as wide as I would like them to be. My goal is to create an Erebor-like feeling. With Thaumcraft's new lanterns, it makes lighting the place without unsightly torches much easier.

If only you could use molten gold as a liquid. Lol i guess you could use honey.

xjjon

Jul 29, 2019
this_thread_is_useless_without_pics_zps4d28c3ae.gif

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Molten Gold is added by Tinker's Construct, among other more obscure mods. You melt gold down in a smeltery and then fill buckets with it to place in the world. You may need to pipe the gold out into a separate tank to use a bucket, though. Never tried it before.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
My theme for one base has been "treetop village" amidst the branches of a redwood tree. :)

If you're playing with the new Natura, could try your hand at making a Nether base using the new spawning pillar to set your spawn and Extrautil lighting to keep the pigmen out. Bonus points if the base is submerged in lava. :D
Did this for my 1.5 Unleashed build: http://imgur.com/a/dSMKv
Challenge for me was to stay within the confines of the natural volume of the crown of the tree. Quite liked it, but I am also very much ready for something else :p

This was partly my plan for my new 1.6 Monster build. I plan on making it partly brilliant light corridors and rooms with information screens and interfaces for stuff, and then behind it all a darker gritty industrial complex with cables, pipes, lasers etc(both functional and non-functional).

This brilliant piece of art of artist unknown is my main inspiration:
ZYis4vF.jpg

Struggling a bit with myself deciding on size of the build :p Would be such a shame to build it too small, but too big and it would be a pain to just view or get screen shots etc of due to loading/render distance :p