Bad lag in the new direwolf20 1.7.10 pack.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
No, some trees aren't recognized by the harvester, and you would be able to add it to the harvester's "this is a tree" list with some minetweaker code like this:

Code:
import mods.mfr.Harvester;

Harvester.addHarvestable(Whatever the redwood log is known as | <natura:redwoodLog>?,"tree");
Harvester.addHarvestable(Whatever the redwood leaves are known as | <natura:leave:5>?, "treeLeaf");
I don't know the ID codes for Redwood logs or leaves, so I just put a guess :p

just went into a test world to try out and the harvester recognizes the redwood tree right away
I tried harvesting the tree, but the harvester didn't really work at the bottom, but as soon as I moved it up 1 ring it immediatly started harvesting
all was fine till it hit the leaves, because there's so many leaves it takes ages for the harvester to harvest them all

so it works, but very slowly, and it ofcourse causes alot of lagg...

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
just went into a test world to try out and the harvester recognizes the redwood tree right away
I tried harvesting the tree, but the harvester didn't really work at the bottom, but as soon as I moved it up 1 ring it immediatly started harvesting
all was fine till it hit the leaves, because there's so many leaves it takes ages for the harvester to harvest them all

so it works, but very slowly, and it ofcourse causes alot of lagg...
stupid trees... I don't understand why they cause so much lag (even if you have fast graphics enabled)

Sawney

Jul 29, 2019
Would the ender io farm work? It just poofs things out of existence with some enderman particles.

Sawney

Jul 29, 2019
that'd be a lot of particles, no?
Turning particles off could fix that in any case. One second tree there next second nothing. Not sure if that would cauuse any sort of update lag if thats a thing.

I personally have used it for a max size dark oak farm with no issues.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Turning particles off could fix that in any case. One second tree there next second nothing. Not sure if that would cauuse any sort of update lag if thats a thing.

I personally have used it for a max size dark oak farm with no issues.
It is a thing (don't know the actual name) but you would get some lag when removing a 20x20x30 area (guess at the size of the tree)

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Would the ender io farm work? It just poofs things out of existence with some enderman particles.

I tried it in another pack but it didn't work over there, so I'm guessing it won't work over here aswell

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
Unless they did another update to the ftb launcher recently that might be your problem. I had the same issues with Wlr until Yulife suggested I try launching with MultiMC which fixed it for me.
I had the same issues until Sawney suggested I try launching with MultiMC which fixed it for me. ;)

And now i'm intrigued as to why that is. My regular server (TPPI) was down so I figured it was time to check the new DW20 pack. The lag was horrible, even without BoP enabled. It was so bad, I couldnt even look around without a 2 second pause every 10 seconds or so. I fired up "the google" and found your suggestion. Wow, just wow. It went from unplayable to super smooth 120 FPS.

Why?

Reactions: Sawney

Crhymez

Jul 29, 2019
I had the same issues until Sawney suggested I try launching with MultiMC which fixed it for me. ;)

And now i'm intrigued as to why that is. My regular server (TPPI) was down so I figured it was time to check the new DW20 pack. The lag was horrible, even without BoP enabled. It was so bad, I couldnt even look around without a 2 second pause every 10 seconds or so. I fired up "the google" and found your suggestion. Wow, just wow. It went from unplayable to super smooth 120 FPS.

Why?
what version of Java are you using?( i use Java 8 u11 since its the last to support 1.6.4)
Did you check your allocation settings in FTB launcher?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Why! Mods like Natura and BoP ruin the nether if you ask me. The nether is supposed to be hell, not somewhere you CAN survive and thrive.

I like the trees, for living in (they are the 5x5 ones, right?) I always live in a redwood tree, assuming the pack I am playing has some variant of them :p
But I get what you mean, they can be a pain to get rid of... Axe of the Stream takes ages to cut them down, fire isn't a surefire way to remove trees in general, a good method is wand of equal trade + torches (replace the wood with torches, start from the top and spam right click as you fall) and then you just have a few torches to pickup/remove when you are at the ground.

I think you have the other big redwoods in mind... Natura redwoods are 9x9, 11x11 or 13x13 and grow up to over y=200.

With the Naturas, you can hollow out multiple levels and also excavate downwards for more levels (I do my smeltery, magic and machines all underground, and built up only if I need an additional 4.5 stacks of wood :D

Another benefit is that if you make your door out of the bark it is effectively invisible to mobs... they don't try to bash it down. In fact the description of the door is "camouflaged".

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
what version of Java are you using?( i use Java 8 u11 since its the last to support 1.6.4)
Did you check your allocation settings in FTB launcher?
I'm using Java 1.7.0_45 (64-bit) and have both launcher setup the same way. Permsize of 256MB, allocation memory of 512MB to a max of 4096MB. No extra arguments.

Seems the multimc launcher is doing something extra on it's own, or it's somehow way more optimized than the FTB launcher. Anyway, i'm quite happy with the performance improvement!

Reactions: Crhymez

Texaporta

Jul 29, 2019
Solutions in order of operations:

clean dust out of your pc case. just do it.

Run malware and spybot software of choice.

update FTB launcher.

Update java (I'm using ver 8 update 11) making sure you are using 64 bit and don't have multiple versions mucking up the place.

4gb Ram is fine for DW20.
You cleaned the dust out right??

Warrick

Jul 29, 2019
The Permsize seem fix the problem -XX:PermSize=512m
but ftb recommend 256m

you need to add in ftb launcher in options -> advanced options -> additional java parameters

Sawney

Jul 29, 2019
Just out of curiosity tho. Is there a reason why multiMC seems to fix my and some other peoples problems like magic. I had the same experience. Ftb unplayable simple import to multiMC and everything is perfect. I didn't clean any dust or anything.

lordgaspode

Jul 29, 2019

Why?

How do I import the pack to MMC?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Clouds :( Clouds ruin EVERYTHING! Ok... the nether coulds aren't as bad (but clouds in the end? NO THANKS! I used the clouds in the end as "defence" and the ender dragon in Hardcore Ender Expansion was a breeze). Nitro Creepers are annoying, especially in skyblock nether maps (see creeper, creeper gone, as is the bridge), heatscars again are just annoying not really hard.
And IMO BoP ruins the "hellish" look of the nether.
There's one thing I do with my personal texture pack. The hanging yellow ivy stuff I've textured as spiked vines, and those mini hell tree leaves I've replaced with a spikey texture. The wood I've turned into a organic blood/flesh like thing. Really adds the right atmosphere instead of green leaves...

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
There's one thing I do with my personal texture pack. The hanging yellow ivy stuff I've textured as spiked vines, and those mini hell tree leaves I've replaced with a spikey texture. The wood I've turned into a organic blood/flesh like thing. Really adds the right atmosphere instead of green leaves...
But, but, but... the nether is still hospitable if you have those things