Bad lag in the new direwolf20 1.7.10 pack.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

harshbarj

Jul 29, 2019
Hey all. I am about out of ideas on what could be wrong with my PC to cause such bad lag. First let's get the specs out of the way.

Core I5 750 (2.66ghz, turbos to 3.3ghz)
AMD Radeon HD 5770
12gb pc3-12800h (800mhz) (9-9-9-24)
320gb WD sata hard drive. 7200rpm 16mb cache (wd3200aaks-00l9a0)
Gigabyte P55a-UD3

Running windows 7 home 64-bit AND Linux Mint 17 64-bit
Java 7 update 67 (64-bit) in windows (not sure of the linux version, but it is 64-bit and the most current for linux mint)

Ok. so I run minecraft(nearly any 1.7.10 pack causes problems, not just the direwolf one) and load in and get bad lag when I move. Not just forward, but turning as well. I have given minecraft 9 gig of ram to use. I run resource monitor while playing and nothing looks like a clue. CPU usage is around 60-70% even while the game is frozen. Memory usage is also fine with plenty of free ram. Hard drive activity is minimal. Yet java locks and resource monitor reports it's not responding (same basic thing happens in linux too).

Lastly, I am not running any texture packs, but vanilla textures and no other major programs running in the background(as in stuff I can quit). I recently cleaned the computer so it's not a heat issue either.

Thanks for any help.

harshbarj

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, neither setting really helped. At one point java (and minecraft) locked for about 2 min. cpu0 and 3 were at about 80% and cpu 1 and 2 were around 20-30%. I had 4gb of memory still free and java was using all 4gb I was giving it.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I installed Fastcraft and still getting some chunk errors (line of chunks refusing to load leaving a void). I resolve it by shutting down and restarting my world, but I am on SSP so it's quick and easy to do so.

However, I see this modpack has those great big gigantic trees (no idea what mod causes those trees) and I didn't get awful freezes when the chunks they are in load for the first time (like I do in other modpacks). So there's bad and there's good IMO. Every pack seems to have its own personality. LOL

mjacobinc

Jul 29, 2019
hey i seem to have same problem as you are , even on low end pc, in 1.6.4 version of minecraft i did not have such a problem, so yeah.. i was wondering if these suggestions fixed it for you? as i have laptop with intergrated graphics card there isn't a way to disable mipmapping and it is disabled in minecraft options .

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
You absolutely must turn off Natura Redwoods, you can do so by adjusting the rarity in the natura.cfg, but I don't know which end of the scale is the rarest. I pointed out quite a few times when the giant natura redwoods gen without using Cauldron they cause a complete freeze on MC for about 20-30 seconds. Fastcraft can help if it works for you, but it doesn't work for everyone.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
You absolutely must turn off Natura Redwoods, you can do so by adjusting the rarity in the natura.cfg, but I don't know which end of the scale is the rarest. I pointed out quite a few times when the giant natura redwoods gen without using Cauldron they cause a complete freeze on MC for about 20-30 seconds. Fastcraft can help if it works for you, but it doesn't work for everyone.

I actually hate those damn trees, they're ugly as hell and they're a pain to get rid of

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I've turned all overworld Natura generation off; I just use it for the Nether.
Why! Mods like Natura and BoP ruin the nether if you ask me. The nether is supposed to be hell, not somewhere you CAN survive and thrive.

I actually hate those damn trees, they're ugly as hell and they're a pain to get rid of
I like the trees, for living in (they are the 5x5 ones, right?) I always live in a redwood tree, assuming the pack I am playing has some variant of them :p
But I get what you mean, they can be a pain to get rid of... Axe of the Stream takes ages to cut them down, fire isn't a surefire way to remove trees in general, a good method is wand of equal trade + torches (replace the wood with torches, start from the top and spam right click as you fall) and then you just have a few torches to pickup/remove when you are at the ground.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Why! Mods like Natura and BoP ruin the nether if you ask me. The nether is supposed to be hell, not somewhere you CAN survive and thrive.
So that a pyromaniac like myself CAN survive and thrive in the Nether. :D
Mainly for the added difficulty and variation, such as Heatscars, ash clouds, nitro creepers and all that.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
So that a pyromaniac like myself CAN survive and thrive in the Nether. :D
Mainly for the added difficulty and variation, such as Heatscars, ash clouds, nitro creepers and all that.
Clouds :( Clouds ruin EVERYTHING! Ok... the nether coulds aren't as bad (but clouds in the end? NO THANKS! I used the clouds in the end as "defence" and the ender dragon in Hardcore Ender Expansion was a breeze). Nitro Creepers are annoying, especially in skyblock nether maps (see creeper, creeper gone, as is the bridge), heatscars again are just annoying not really hard.
And IMO BoP ruins the "hellish" look of the nether.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I sure hope someday soon they realize what horrible lag those stupidly enormous trees causes. In Beyond Reality modpack (ATLauncher), those trees cause about 30 seconds (no lie) of "hourglass" (computer totally frozen up) before the player gets control back. In DW1.7 modpack, I did not notice such horrible "tree lag" from those things... it was actually almost no lag at all from what I've seen... but yeah. Whoever makes them, please remove those horrible gigantic trees.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I like the trees, for living in (they are the 5x5 ones, right?) I always live in a redwood tree, assuming the pack I am playing has some variant of them :p
But I get what you mean, they can be a pain to get rid of... Axe of the Stream takes ages to cut them down, fire isn't a surefire way to remove trees in general, a good method is wand of equal trade + torches (replace the wood with torches, start from the top and spam right click as you fall) and then you just have a few torches to pickup/remove when you are at the ground.

it's actually the 7x7 tree from Natura. fun note, I tried burning it down, seems the wood has been made so it can't be set on fire anymore, probably due to lag

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
it's actually the 7x7 tree from Natura. fun note, I tried burning it down, seems the wood has been made so it can't be set on fire anymore, probably due to lag
Well... Wand of equal trade it then... You'll get a lot of wood :D
Also, I don't know why, but you reminded me I need to disable warp on DW20 pack before I even give the pack a go (I don't see the point in warp and it is more of an annoyance than an actual "threat") I know it is called "wuss mode" but there is nothing wussy about liking to not have negative effects randomly :p
Oh, and sort out research... I complete thaumcraft in every pack I play that has it, I don't mind getting the aspects to unlock it, but the research mini-games get annoying after oh, doing it once (let alone doing it for the 8th time, 9th if I do it in this pack).

But on topic again...
1.7 is laggy as hell. Trees cause more lag. Big trees are nice, but the minecraft render code needs to be fixed... oh wait... *coughs* STUPID 1.8 *coughs*

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Well... Wand of equal trade it then... You'll get a lot of wood :D
Also, I don't know why, but you reminded me I need to disable warp on DW20 pack before I even give the pack a go (I don't see the point in warp and it is more of an annoyance than an actual "threat") I know it is called "wuss mode" but there is nothing wussy about liking to not have negative effects randomly :p
Oh, and sort out research... I complete thaumcraft in every pack I play that has it, I don't mind getting the aspects to unlock it, but the research mini-games get annoying after oh, doing it once (let alone doing it for the 8th time, 9th if I do it in this pack).

But on topic again...
1.7 is laggy as hell. Trees cause more lag. Big trees are nice, but the minecraft render code needs to be fixed... oh wait... *coughs* STUPID 1.8 *coughs*

if I had the focus of equal trade right at the start, sure
but I don't, and I hate those trees as soon as I see them. that means I need to wait till I actually get the research and crafting done before I can get rid of it

might aswell just wait till I get something else that could take the tree down, I know the Ender IO harvester doesn't work, a lumber axe doesn't completely work, perhaps a MFR harvester can take it down...

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
if I had the focus of equal trade right at the start, sure
but I don't, and I hate those trees as soon as I see them. that means I need to wait till I actually get the research and crafting done before I can get rid of it

might aswell just wait till I get something else that could take the tree down, I know the Ender IO harvester doesn't work, a lumber axe doesn't completely work, perhaps a MFR harvester can take it down...
If the MFR harvester doesn't work you could always MAKE it work ;) (Minetweaker is ALWAYS your friend)

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
If the MFR harvester doesn't work you could always MAKE it work ;) (Minetweaker is ALWAYS your friend)

if it doesn't work I rather think the problem is that the tree is just too big for the harvester, and isn't related to the harvester not recognizing it as a tree

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
if it doesn't work I rather think the problem is that the tree is just too big for the harvester, and isn't related to the harvester not recognizing it as a tree
No, some trees aren't recognized by the harvester, and you would be able to add it to the harvester's "this is a tree" list with some minetweaker code like this:

Code:
import mods.mfr.Harvester;

Harvester.addHarvestable(Whatever the redwood log is known as | <natura:redwoodLog>?,"tree");
Harvester.addHarvestable(Whatever the redwood leaves are known as | <natura:leave:5>?, "treeLeaf");
I don't know the ID codes for Redwood logs or leaves, so I just put a guess :p

Sawney

Jul 29, 2019
Unless they did another update to the ftb launcher recently that might be your problem. I had the same issues with Wlr until Yulife suggested I try launching with MultiMC which fixed it for me.

Reactions: Racemol