Automating quest ram...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

jpbirdsgong

Jul 29, 2019
Caught a quest ram using an MFR safari net this morning. Preliminary testing shows that the spawner will indeed create them at a rate of about 1 every 30 second-- and that the quest can be completed with each ram it spawns. Which raises the question of the best way to automate the quest to farm diamond/emerald/gold/lapis blocks. Has anyone tried this before?

Really, this is a question of the best way to automate colored wool farming with Ultimate. I'm guessing that's with 16 pens equipped with MFR feeders, chronotypers, etc. But will that be able to keep up with the quest ram spawning?

I figure I can conveyor-belt the ram past 16 deployers to feed him the wool and catch the drops using transposers, or something, before killing him. That will allow me to mess with the timing to make sure I don't kill him before he drops the blocks, or something.

seannyyx

Jul 29, 2019
Minium stone and wool. Changing all the colours as needed? Or just setting up large sets of diff coloured sheep and maybe something like sheering turtles to get the wool?

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Quest rams were always confusing to me, ate all my dye/wool/everything I could think of and gave me nothing in return.

seannyyx

Jul 29, 2019
Is it a spawner? Or obvious?

They're in "quest ram ruins" just 1 appears. Though you can probably make spawners with a soul shard if you did enough.

Quest rams were always confusing to me, ate all my dye/wool/everything I could think of and gave me nothing in return.

You need to feed them every colour of wool... They eat the rainbow...
That the "quest" of the Quest Ram

Reactions: Chocorate

Pandemoneus

Jul 29, 2019
Quest rams spawn in Enchanted Forest biomes in a stonehenge in the Twilight Forest. To get their secret reward, you have to feed them a piece of wool of each color.

Anyway, I would try the minium stone approach, or have a sheep farm with 16 different colored sheep.

Reactions: Chocorate

jpbirdsgong

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks all. I did the tests using the minium stone method; trouble is I need this to be infinite and the minium drop rate for farmed mobs is too low (the stone will wear out; know this from using in prev. builds). I guess I'll try shearing dyed sheep... guessing the bottleneck will be grass regrowing.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
For the curious and confused, MineFactory Reloaded has an auto-spawner block that's a substitute for/companion with Soul Shards.

Basically you catch a mob in a safari net (even most things that can't be soul-sharded), supply MJ and clone that mob. It is bugged in the current version so you don't need to worry about piping in liquid monster essence from a MFR grinder, just MJ. A redstone energy cell works well for this.

seannyyx

Jul 29, 2019
For the curious and confused, MineFactory Reloaded has an auto-spawner block that's a substitute for/companion with Soul Shards.

Basically you catch a mob in a safari net (even most things that can't be soul-sharded), supply MJ and clone that mob. It is bugged in the current version so you don't need to worry about piping in liquid monster essence from a MFR grinder, just MJ. A redstone energy cell works well for this.

Interesting.
I quite liked the idea of soul shards. Just hated the limitation between other mods.
Nice to know there are other similar mods that work more "globally"

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
IIRC every sheep has a different ID, so they each can be spawned, separately. Mob grinder kills them, collect their drops. They will always drop at least one of their color of wool. If you use Soul Shards instead of the MFR Spawner, you will have more wool than you'll ever need. Hell... Spawner and fall damage with a floor of transposers, you don't even need the mob grinder. One spawner per sheep. A T1 spawner would suffice, too... Not like you need a T5 spawner for sheep.

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
Another option is to simply trap a bunch of sheep and 1x1 pens and automatically shear them with shearing turtles. You would need multiple of each color sheep if you really want it to be fast though. I'm not sure how quickly you want this system to run. :D

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Nothing says you have to use only 16 sheep. Combining 4 of each color, 64 sheep total, should allow you to supply deployers with plenty of each color wool. Whether by shearing turtle or rancher, there should be enough wool regen to keep you supplied quite well.

Taste the rainbow!

Reactions: brujon

jpbirdsgong

Jul 29, 2019
Excellent; I didn't realize that different colored-sheep had different IDs. Soul shard spawners it is. I'd already tried the MFR spawner but all sheep came out white even though the tooltip on the Safari net shows the correct color. (I'm assuming this is a bug?) If the soul shards don't work I'll try shearing turtles or ranchers-- the trouble there will likely be wool regen, which is limited by grass growth (right?).

Will be posting screenshots of this once it's done. I'm building it underground on the bottom floor of a uu-matter factory powered at the moment by 4 Gregtech fusion reactors.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't used the autospawner myself, but I believe there is a function to either spawn the mob generally or exact copies of the one in the net.