Automating quest ram...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
People seem to be forgetting that wool has to regrow, which requires grass. Anyway, the MFR breeding works fine. Finished the collection mechanism and set up level emitters and AND gates to turn off the Q-Ram spawner if a single color of wool drops below a threshold (to allow the system to get caught up without wasting wool).

It's been running for about an hour and it's made 25 of each of the reward blocks. Slower than I'd hoped. But, it should be easy to scale: I'll just need to have more than one pair of parents of each wool color.

The lag from the baby sheep is the biggest problem; MFR has a machine to grow them up quickly using growth syringes, the recipe for which requires golden carrots. Doable, because my source of wheat--a kobold spawner--is also a source of gold nuggets.

Soon I'll have enough diamond and emerald blocks to use them exclusively for building. More screenshots soon.

What is so difficult about grass? You can get it easily (minium stone cobble) or silk touch or natural spread.

I have two 5x5 pens with the 16 colors of sheep in them and passively building up a wool supply using the MFR rancher.

They can eat all the grass under them, but adding a ring of grass they can't reach easily keeps things in balance.

Example:
Pens:
Zwrmygi.jpg

Center would be for breeding/auto spawner --not doing quest ram here. I just put a mob type i need in auto spawners powered by passive animal breeding+grinder.

Ring of grass that can spread back up to the sheep pen:
6SERQ67.jpg

jpbirdsgong

Jul 29, 2019
What is so difficult about grass? You can get it easily (minium stone cobble) or silk touch or natural spread. I have two 5x5 pens with the 16 colors of sheep in them and passively building up a wool supply using the MFR rancher. They can eat all the grass under them, but adding a ring of grass they can't reach easily keeps things in balance.
Back to minium, again-- if there were an easily renewable minium source, I'd just transmute white wool from a t5 soul shard. I could use natural grass spread in pens, yes-- but, the space I'm building in is the bottom floor of a 2x2-chunk factory where the upper floors are filled with machines that block the sky, the visibility of which the vanilla wiki lists as a necessary condition of grass regrowth. And it's in any case necessary to reach the 30-second wool-replenishment mark to maximize Quest Ram exploitation; doing this using natural grass spread would involve some very large pens, indeed. Though, if I ever re-do this build above ground with more space, I'll try that route.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
What is so difficult about grass? You can get it easily (minium stone cobble) or silk touch or natural spread.

I have two 5x5 pens with the 16 colors of sheep in them and passively building up a wool supply using the MFR rancher.

They can eat all the grass under them, but adding a ring of grass they can't reach easily keeps things in balance.

Example:
Pens:
Zwrmygi.jpg

Center would be for breeding/auto spawner --not doing quest ram here. I just put a mob type i need in auto spawners powered by passive animal breeding+grinder.

Ring of grass that can spread back up to the sheep pen:
6SERQ67.jpg
Not only that, but if they eat it too fast, you could potentially always just use pistons to switch out the grass.

Hey Peppe, how did you get that 7 beef in the top left hand corner of your screen? I assume it's saturation level?

jpbirdsgong

Jul 29, 2019
It occurs to me that grass could be silk-touched using an arcane bore and then placed by turtles underground. The syringe route seems easier, though, at this point.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Not only that, but if they eat it too fast, you could potentially always just use pistons to switch out the grass.

Hey Peppe, how did you get that 7 beef in the top left hand corner of your screen? I assume it's saturation level?

I am on 1.5.1 with latest/near latest builds of most mods.

It is added by Modular Power Suit's auto feeder module. I think that module is in the base mod. Could be the MPS addon mod. Either way it decreases that displayed number until it reaches 0, then it eats a new piece from my inventory.

Reactions: EternalDensity

jpbirdsgong

Jul 29, 2019
No, it doesn't-- bonemeal works for growing plants on grass, but not for turning brown dirt blocks green.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Back to minium, again-- if there were an easily renewable minium source, I'd just transmute white wool from a t5 soul shard. I could use natural grass spread in pens, yes-- but, the space I'm building in is the bottom floor of a 2x2-chunk factory where the upper floors are filled with machines that block the sky, the visibility of which the vanilla wiki lists as a necessary condition of grass regrowth. And it's in any case necessary to reach the 30-second wool-replenishment mark to maximize Quest Ram exploitation; doing this using natural grass spread would involve some very large pens, indeed. Though, if I ever re-do this build above ground with more space, I'll try that route.

Minium stone farming can be achieved by using a deployer to kill mobs with a right click activated weapon. I've been using glowing water with a T5 soul shard wither skeleton exp farm drop trap (mostly because I also wanted the heads, any undead mob will work with glowing water). All the fidly bits needed for farming glowing water can be achieved a number of different ways. I don't have my system fully automated yet, as I'm still trying different stuff out to see what will work best.

Reactions: jpbirdsgong

jpbirdsgong

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, Siro; very helpful. I've got too much time invested in the current setup to switch it around, but I think I'll be setting up a minium farm in the future using a method based on this.

StoneShifter

Jul 29, 2019
... the upper floors are filled with machines that block the sky, the visibility of which the vanilla wiki lists as a necessary condition of grass regrowth.

Jeah that is true, but you do not need regrowth of grass, because Gras will spread even if the sky is obstructed. It only have to be a certain light level! So if you put some torches on the walls grass will spread!

So you just have to be sure that there are grassblocks wich are out of range of the sheep.

for example:
X - Grass
- Fence

XXXX <- Grass wich can not be reached be the sheeps
------- <- fences with grassblocks below
XXXX
XXXX <- the area for the sheeps
XXXX

30-second wool-replenishment mark to maximize Quest Ram exploitation

if you want to maximize that, you just need some more sheep in your farms(MFR-Sheep farms would be optimal), i think that it is not that hard to get every 30 sec all kind of wool. (that means every sheep farm have to shear only 1 sheep every 30 sec!(if you build a farm for every colour). So that speed would require that every 30 s a dirtblock have to change into a grassblock. And i think that the normal grass spread will be enough to manage that.)

BTW:

Quest rams can NOT be spawed or even collected with a soulshard. It seems that it is only possible to spawn them with MFR.

OmegaJasam

Jul 29, 2019
...A sheep to gold, diamond and emerald blocks farm.

I've not seen something that sounds this silly since EE2, and this one doens't involve condensers <3

So the limiting factor is either minums or grass? You could probably also do something with block breakers and making the grass blocks elsewhere. Or any of the minum farms. Or the mass breeding.
Of lag is an issue, Might be worth making the easy dyes and wools elsewhere and only using sheep for the difficult ones.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Exceedingly simple to setup 2-4 arrays of 16 colored sheep, 4 turtles and 4 enderchests/item tesseracts per sheep array, then sort out to deployers as desired. Perhaps set up the automation in a void age for the wool. DW20 was using something like this in the recently finished SMP series on the Forgecraft 1 server.

Second option is using ranchers, one per sheep, in place of turtles and then conveyors/pipes to one enderchest/tesseract. So long as you surround the single block of grass the sheep is standing on with other grass blocks, grass regen shouldn't be any concern. Compound as needed for volume.

I am sure there are yet more methods possible. I am sure you could reasonably gain a wool rate to beat 30s cycle time without much worry. :)

boothebug

Jul 29, 2019
With how the MR system works keeping all data on the animal I.E. health, wool color, job would it be possible to feed it all but 1 color then spawn more that only need one color?

Exadi

Jul 29, 2019
With how the MR system works keeping all data on the animal I.E. health, wool color, job would it be possible to feed it all but 1 color then spawn more that only need one color?
The version of MFR in Ultimate 1.0.1 doesn't have exact mode. I tried this in a recent version of MFR and it seems you can't catch Quest Rams in a Safari Net anymore.

jpbirdsgong

Jul 29, 2019
Damn, that's too bad, this was a good machine. Unfortunately the server I built it on is now down, otherwise I'd post more screenshots. I took a break for a couple of days and went back before the server went down and had several hundred of each reward block.