Automating Dye trees

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Heya!

This iteration im looking for different power source.

Since the server I play on recently migrated to monster I was thinking on using dye trees (several different colors) to feed MFR biofuel producers, but the MFR harvester wont properly harvest the dye leaves.

Any idea on what could quickly gather the leaves and give me the dyes?

Otherwise ill go old-school and just try a forestry biofuel thing with squeezed apples as fertilizer.

Museli

Jul 29, 2019
Just to check, are these trees from Project Red (Stained Trees), or are they from Reika's Dye Trees mod? Niels is definitely right if they're the PR trees, but I think the trees from Dye Trees may behave differently.

Museli

Jul 29, 2019
Just had a quick poke around in a test world. It seems as though the harvester is happy to cut down the tree and take the logs, but it doesn't recognize the dyes or saplings as acceptable, so it leaves them on the floor until they despawn. You can leave your harvester setup in place, you just need to use something to collect the items from the floor. A gathering golem will do the job nicely, or a magic broom from Ars Magica 2. There's plenty of other things that should work, like vacuum hoppers, but I've not tested them so I don't know how effective they may be.

EDIT - looks like the harvester sometimes misses a few leaves, but it gets the wood just fine so they'll end up disappearing anyway.

Last edited:

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
I need to grow the trees at a high frequency to maintain the fuel production, letting the leaves decay on their own is simply too slow. (im growing the trees very fast with an activator and a watering can).

maybe steves carts can handle the tree type. it has an addon(tree:exotic i think) that allows it to work with mod trees

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Heya!

This iteration im looking for different power source.

Since the server I play on recently migrated to monster I was thinking on using dye trees (several different colors) to feed MFR biofuel producers, but the MFR harvester wont properly harvest the dye leaves.

Any idea on what could quickly gather the leaves and give me the dyes?

Otherwise ill go old-school and just try a forestry biofuel thing with squeezed apples as fertilizer.
The RotaryCraft woodcutter is the only thing I know of. The "any log with custom leaf" design of those trees screws up just about every mod farming technique.

Reactions: Museli

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
I dunno, I reckon a turtle wouldn't have any problems with them. I haven't found a tree they won't cut up thus far.

Might be a little slow for your purposes, as they don't use magical "pluck logs remotely from out of the air" technologies.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
I dunno, I reckon a turtle wouldn't have any problems with them. I haven't found a tree they won't cut up thus far.

Might be a little slow for your purposes, as they don't use magical "pluck logs remotely from out of the air" technologies.

They would be too slow. Im thinking ill need a few trees per minute.... Unless i had an entire wall of turtles doing the stuff, and one wall per tree. That would be somewhat cool, but server resources would suffer i think.[DOUBLEPOST=1391173884][/DOUBLEPOST]
The RotaryCraft woodcutter is the only thing I know of. The "any log with custom leaf" design of those trees screws up just about every mod farming technique.

Ill look into rotary, so far the entire mod has been quite noob-unfriendly to me hehe (and terribly iron hungry for the stage i am in my current game)[DOUBLEPOST=1391173948][/DOUBLEPOST]
maybe steves carts can handle the tree type. it has an addon(tree:exotic i think) that allows it to work with mod trees

Ill probably give it a try, but im looking for a fire&forget thing, so i need to wait until i can craft the indestructuible blade piece.

dakamojo

Jul 29, 2019
Today's release of MFR adds support for the Project Red Stained Saplings to the Planter and Harvester. There is also a pull request to add support for Dyed Trees so that may come sometime soon.

Museli

Jul 29, 2019
EDIT - Ignore this, I said something incorrect. The post below explains.

Last edited:

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
In the newest version of Monster, leaves decay much much faster. Not sure if it affects Dye Trees or not, but it should.

Reactions: Museli

Museli

Jul 29, 2019
In the newest version of Monster, leaves decay much much faster. Not sure if it affects Dye Trees or not, but it should.
That would explain what I saw, and is a change I very much welcome. Thanks for that info. :D

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Yeah, I didn't check on all modded trees so I wasn't sure. Vanilla trees completely decay in about 4 to 5 seconds now.
Tick rate modifications?

Also: From the support thread:
"The TechWorld 2 1.1.1 pack has DragonAPI 1.6 V15. Not V15b. I guess that explains it. Hopefully the FTB team will update shortly. Thanks a lot for helping."
DragonAPI v15b is what fixes the bug in RC.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
My guess so, I didn't actually code it. I don't think I'm going to really start a project till 1.7 gets rolling and I'm a little more confident of my java knowledge. It took me 4 days to get an RF energy cell coded...