Automatic Force Tree Turtle Farm?

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
I could have done that. In fact it was a good idea. To be honest though my menus are pretty cluttered and I they need redoing. If I ever feel like using turtles for tree farms again I will take your advice into account. It is a pretty good idea actually and I think I have a good way of making it work. For now though, I will probably just add in any tree I particularly want to support and it shouldn't be too difficult for anyone else to add it themselves although my code is pretty messy :). By the way I was thinking about the efficiency and it it will only burn too much wood on the first round I think (especially if it was insufficiently primed). It will only take as much fuel it needs to take it above the threshold whenever it is at a certain level.

Actually it didn't look bad at all. I've written much sloppier in a caffeine fuel haze late into the night back when I was in college. On efficiency, (mind you I didn't read through every bit of the code) wouldn't the turtle move up 40 when defaulting to that or did you make it contingent on whether a dig failed?

Reactions: casilleroatr

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Actually it didn't look bad at all. I've written much sloppier in a caffeine fuel haze late into the night back when I was in college. On efficiency, (mind you I didn't read through every bit of the code) wouldn't the turtle move up 40 when defaulting to that or did you make it contingent on whether a dig failed?

It is not contingent on whether the dig failed and it doesn't go up 40 blocks either. This is why it is necessary to put a comparison log in the turtles inventory. It works something like this

Code:
turtle.select(4) -- comp log in this slot
while turtle.compareUp() do
   turtle.digUp()
end

That way as soon as it hits the leaf canopy it will head back down and it won't use the fuel it took all in one go.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
It is not contingent on whether the dig failed and it doesn't go up 40 blocks either. This is why it is necessary to put a comparison log in the turtles inventory. It works something like this

Code:
turtle.select(4) -- comp log in this slot
while turtle.compareUp() do
  turtle.digUp()
end

That way as soon as it hits the leaf canopy it will head back down and it won't use the fuel it took all in one go.

Well, okay yeah that does basically what I was trying to say (stops digging up if it can't find more). So yeah that should be fine for any height level of tree.

Murloc

Jul 29, 2019
Starting a new post instead.

Lots of pictures behind spoiler.

To set up make a large flat area about 13*13 is appropriate and find the centre spot. Place the turtle one block behind it facing the middle. Dig under it and put an ender chest (for depositing items).
View attachment 7575

Then place place an MFR item collector behind the turtle. Cover the floor in conveyor belts and arrange them so everything heads towards the collector. I find it helpful to mount the conveyor belts onto rednet cable so that I can turn them off as I am working on the area. You don't have to use conveyors. Any system you can come up with to return saplings (and force nuggets if using dartcraft trees) will work fine, including water or obsidian pipes, so long as everything is routed back into the turtle.View attachment 7578

(And yes, I see that I have not centred my turtle correctly but this is just a demo;))

When you boot the program up for the first time you will see this screen.

View attachment 7577

Arrange the ender chest, saplings and comparison log like I have done. It is vitally important that you remember the comparison log - in fact I think I programmed the turtle to error if it detects one of these three items is not present in the right slot.

You will also be asked to input some data. The first question is for telling the turtle what tree you are farming. If it recognises the tree it will be able to more accurately keep tabs on fuel consumption. Whether or not it recognises the tree it will at least say what it is farming. After going through all the set up the turtle screen will look like this.

View attachment 7576

If you set the Loop mode to for loop like I have done you can tell how many iterations you want to have done.

There is bonemeal in that ender chest too btw. It will attempt to take bonemeal out when it needs to and it puts bonemeal into slot 2. If there is no bonemeal in the ender chest it doesn't matter it will just go into slow mode. Should you add bonemeal into the chest at a later date though I believe it will still get it even if it is in slow mode and then it will run fast again. I might be wring about that though.

Here is the little turtle in action.

View attachment 7579

Awesome!
Thank you :D Now i get it!

I wanted this program to harvest a Force Tree and auto-collect the Force Nuggets (they can also be crafted into Force Ingots) because Steve's Cart 2 doesn't allow that and this is a really great solution, since i don't need that many resources for the setup and not much work :)

I'll use the height suggested in the post above me but feel free to make more edit to your program, i'm pretty sure a lot of peoples here on FTB are gonna enjoy. (especially the CC Nerds (-: )

I got an idea to prevent the Turtle from overflowing with force nugget in it's inventory (i didn't test this yet).
In my setup i'll be using Conveyors Belts connected to an Item Router(from MFR http://ftbwiki.org/Item_Router) instead of a Item Collector, i'll have the Force Nuggets sent to my storage system. (Barrels with Logistics Pipes)

Would that work with the current code?

EDIT:
Cool, i saw you already modifier the value for default fuel consumption :)
  1. else
  2. print("Unrecognised tree: Setting Default fuel consumption")
  3. height = 20
  4. end
  5. fuelReq = math.ceil(((2*height)+2)+3)
  6. return fuelReq

Thanks for any help you can give me, this is really appreciated!
Murlocking

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome!
Thank you :D Now i get it!

I wanted this program to harvest a Force Tree and auto-collect the Force Nuggets (they can also be crafted into Force Ingots) because Steve's Cart 2 doesn't allow that and this is a really great solution, since i don't need that many resources for the setup and not much work :)

I'll use the height suggested in the post above me but feel free to make more edit to your program, i'm pretty sure a lot of peoples here on FTB are gonna enjoy. (especially the CC Nerds (-: )

I got an idea to prevent the Turtle from overflowing with force nugget in it's inventory (i didn't test this yet).
In my setup i'll be using Conveyors Belts connected to an Item Router(from MFR http://ftbwiki.org/Item_Router) instead of a Item Collector, i'll have the Force Nuggets sent to my storage system. (Barrels with Logistics Pipes)

Would that work with the current code?

Thanks for any help you can give me, this is really appreciated!
Murlocking

Glad you like the program.

Your idea with the item router will work absolutely fine on one condition. All saplings must be routed into turtle. It doesn't really matter how you do this and if you separate other things out like force nuggets on the way. I only suggest conveyor belts because they seemed sensible to me. Also, you will still need an inventory for the turtle to get rid of its harvest. It can be any inventory, including an ME interface if you have your AE network there, although import buses will not work.

----

Ok what I am writing now is being written about an hour after I started this post. During that time I have been testing the program a bit more just to ensure that it works. I have also added support for force trees and some Biomes o plenty trees (just to remind everyone the program does still work on unsupported trees unless if they have irregular trunks or more than 1*1 trunks like jungle trees, it really is only a minor thing that the support adds).

However, when I was using this program myself I always used bonemeal. After some testing today I have found that it doesn't work too well without bonemeal + it is painfully slow. Therefore, I recommend anyone who uses this to have a good bonemeal supply to run it. One of the problems included force nuggets landing in slot 2 and therefore being kept in the turtle's inventory. This is not a problem if you do use bonemeal.

Also if you want to change the program's settings, including loop type and length and tree harvested you can restart the program and use the argument reset. That will take you back to the starting menu.

I tried to make something better in the code too but it didn't work. It does not alter the ability of the turtle to harvest trees but I would have liked to have fixed it. It is to do with recognising the tree properly.

I am not going to fix it tonight because I am both tired and busy. In fact I might completely rewrite the program because I wrote it when I was still at the lower end of my learning curve. There is plenty I have learnt since then that I need to start applying so there might be a Caslogger 3 on the horizon. Anyway here is 2.5 with a couple of minor glitches and a strong recommendation to use bonemeal.

http://pastebin.com/gVZfT3CU