Automatic Force Tree Turtle Farm?

Pastortom

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, I dont know if this is the right place, but Im looking for a felling turtle program that can interact with the new tree species "Force Tree" added with Dartcraft modpack in the latest FTB Ultimate.

Since the MFR machines Harvester, Planter and Fertilizer doesnt reckognize it, I thought for sure there would be a program compatible for a ComputerCraft Turtle.

Ive been googling, checking on forums and on youtube for several hours without luck. There are so many "user-unfriendly" programs out there which seems more suitable for 1 tree sort.

But I know too little about this. Only turtle programs Ive been using are excavate and tunnel, only recently started downloading programs into them with pastebin and trying out stuff with mining turtles.

Im very certain what Im asking for is possible, if you dont have time to find a suitable program for me, if it exists already out there, could you maybe point me in the right direction? What is it called? Any programs I can edit towards my need?

I simply need it to plant the item "Force Tree Sapling" , bonemeal it (or pause for 900 sec), harvest not only logs but also leaves, and pick up items that fall off leaves (saplings and/or force ingot nuggets), and repeat procedure. WIth autofuel/refill and autoempty.

Appreciate any help deeply! Thanks

angelnc

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not familiar to Dartcraft. What's the shape of said tree? Can you maybe provide a screenshot?

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
You're better off just using a multifarm than playing with turtles. I doubt they'd be of that much use here.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Since the MFR machines Harvester, Planter and Fertilizer doesnt reckognize it, I thought for sure there would be a program compatible for a ComputerCraft Turtle.

This may be of interest to you, it allows MFR to work with DartCraft. However, I think we are still waiting on it to be updated to work with 1.1.3. So it won't work right now unless you are on 1.1.2, but just linking it for when it is updated (soon hopefully)

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/dartpatch-mfr-planter-harvester-support-for-dartcraft.28832/

Reactions: RedBoss

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I wrote a program that should handle any straight trunk tree. Some features of it are unfinished or bugged. I have had problems with the autosaving but I can't remember what the problem was as it has been a while since I wrote it. It shouldn't be a big deal though and I am pretty sure it will chop down the trees properly.

It has a couple of features - you can have it run perpetually or you can set it to run only a set number of times. You can also tell it what tree you are harvesting although in practice it will treat all straight trunk trees the same. It will only be important if I made the program support non-straight tree trunks.

I will admit that this program is not very user friendly although in my defence it is unfinished, so I will give you some tips. First you will need a system to collect saplings and force nuggets. I suggest using MFR conveyor belts. Place an item collector behind the turtle and have all conveyors leading to it. This means that all the saplings will eventually end up in the turtle.

I use ender chests to supply bonemeal to the turtle and another ender chest to dump output into. The dump ender chest goes below the turtle. The bonemeal chest goes into the turtles inventory, in slot one. You need at least one force sapling in slot 3 (leaving slot 2 vacant) and you need a force log in slot 4. If you cant supply bonemeal to the turtle, it shouldn't matter because the turtle will sleep for longer before checking to see if it can harvest the tree. However you will need the chest in slot one else it will not work (put any block in slot one if you don't have an ender chest.

You need a mining turtle for this to work.

Let me know if you have any problems. (One possible problem might be dartcraft force nuggets bunging up the inventory. It might be ok though.)

pastebin.com/wFayTCWZ

Pastortom

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not familiar to Dartcraft. What's the shape of said tree? Can you maybe provide a screenshot?

q0mz.png

As another guy mentions, this is similar to an oak tree, and grows the same as well in various shapes and sizes. I would need something to farm the leaves as well as the logs, as the leaves drop Force ingots and Force Saplings (similar ratio with the sapling drop as oak trees, if not exactly the same)

You're better off just using a multifarm than playing with turtles. I doubt they'd be of that much use here.

Multifarm? What item is that in NEI? Im a noob with this, only got experience with steves carts farms and the new MFR farm machines.

This may be of interest to you, it allows MFR to work with DartCraft. However, I think we are still waiting on it to be updated to work with 1.1.3. So it won't work right now unless you are on 1.1.2, but just linking it for when it is updated (soon hopefully)

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/dartpatch-mfr-planter-harvester-support-for-dartcraft.28832/

Yeah thanks, already read about this, but I'm not admin on the server Im playing on. Ive suggested this patch, but I dont know if he will be willing.

I wrote a program that should handle any straight trunk tree. Some features of it are unfinished or bugged. I have had problems with the autosaving but I can't remember what the problem was as it has been a while since I wrote it. It shouldn't be a big deal though and I am pretty sure it will chop down the trees properly.

It has a couple of features - you can have it run perpetually or you can set it to run only a set number of times. You can also tell it what tree you are harvesting although in practice it will treat all straight trunk trees the same. It will only be important if I made the program support non-straight tree trunks.

I will admit that this program is not very user friendly although in my defence it is unfinished, so I will give you some tips. First you will need a system to collect saplings and force nuggets. I suggest using MFR conveyor belts. Place an item collector behind the turtle and have all conveyors leading to it. This means that all the saplings will eventually end up in the turtle.

I use ender chests to supply bonemeal to the turtle and another ender chest to dump output into. The dump ender chest goes below the turtle. The bonemeal chest goes into the turtles inventory, in slot one. You need at least one force sapling in slot 3 (leaving slot 2 vacant) and you need a force log in slot 4. If you cant supply bonemeal to the turtle, it shouldn't matter because the turtle will sleep for longer before checking to see if it can harvest the tree. However you will need the chest in slot one else it will not work (put any block in slot one if you don't have an ender chest.

You need a mining turtle for this to work.

Let me know if you have any problems. (One possible problem might be dartcraft force nuggets bunging up the inventory. It might be ok though.)

pastebin.com/wFayTCWZ

Great man. thanks alot. So am I understanding this correctly, that the mining turtle will stand at one spot, and it will only chop down 1 tree straight infront of it? Will it notice all the leaf-blocks and break those too in every case?

I will try this later today when the server is back online. Appreciate it alot! Thanks!

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I
Great man. thanks alot. So am I understanding this correctly, that the mining turtle will stand at one spot, and it will only chop down 1 tree straight infront of it? Will it notice all the leaf-blocks and break those too in every case?

I will try this later today when the server is back online. Appreciate it alot! Thanks!
It doesn't chop down any leaves. You need to handle that seperately. I suggest MFR conveyors because they will catch every sapling that drops and you can route them back to the item collector (behind the turtle) that will force all the saplings to go back into the turtle. The turtle will keep a stack of saplings for itself as well.

The turtle will stay in one place and it will plant a tree in front of it. Then it attempts to bonemeal it and then when the tree grows it will dig forward and moves forward and then digs up the trunk until it detects that there is no longer a force log above it. (The comparison log is critical). Then it goes back down to ground level and goes back one space and waits a bit, receiving saplings and cleaning its inventory.

Klypto

Jul 29, 2019
If you want a full-blown farm the Andy Logger program may be able to do it pretty easily. It's self sustaining in that it generates it's own fuel too (I had a bug with the stone furnace wasn't working, so I had to use electric furnace powered by a few solar panels).

Andy Logger

But you would need a small army of those mini golems , waterways, or conveyer belts to collect what falls off the leaves and resupply saplings.

Pastortom

Jul 29, 2019
Hey all, just thought Id come back here to share that Ive done this 100% with multifarm,

got 100k force logs leftover after my 20 mill steel tank has been filled with liquid force :p

Unlimited MJ and force ingots, chi-ching! MJ gonna get even better with Crushed Ice once I get started with bees :D

check out this picture of the roof of my new base: (yeah I removed the glowstone afterwards, since its ugly as shit :p )

1467589.jpg

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Very nice farm! I only have a small Steve's Carts 2 farm with Tree Exotic module and Galgadorian woodcutter. Doing well enough for me since I'm not using them for fuel.

Murloc

Jul 29, 2019

pastebin.com/wFayTCWZ

Hey Casilleroatr, thanks for the program, i'll sure take a look into it tonight.
But before i do, i have a few questions:

Do i have to put an actual "Ender Chest" for the bonemeal in the inventory or aside the Turtle?
How do you supply it with fuel? Does it auto-refill it's fuel?
Do i use a Feeling Turtle (Mining turtle+Axe) or a regular Mining Turtle?
And would you mind uploading a screenshot of your turtle inventory and it's base setup (chests configuartion around the Turtle + convoyers belts), i'm more visual type of person and words confuse me a lot!

Thank you.
Murlocking

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Casilleroatr, thanks for the program, i'll sure take a look into it tonight.
But before i do, i have a few questions:

Do i have to put an actual "Ender Chest" for the bonemeal in the inventory or aside the Turtle?
How do you supply it with fuel? Does it auto-refill it's fuel?
Do i use a Feeling Turtle (Mining turtle+Axe) or a regular Mining Turtle?
And would you mind uploading a screenshot of your turtle inventory and it's base setup (chests configuartion around the Turtle + convoyers belts), i'm more visual type of person and words confuse me a lot!

Thank you.
Murlocking

No problem :).

To answer your questions:

Yes you do need to place an Ender Chest from Chicken Bones' ender storage mod. Vanilla ones don't work. There are actually two chests involved in this set up. The bonemeal ender chest and the deposit ender chest where all the produce goes, although you could replace that with any inventory really and remove logs and saplings in other ways.

The turtle does refuel itself with the logs. It calculates how much fuel it needs to chop down a tree and only takes enough wood to fulfil that. This is to prevent it from stealing all your logs. You will need to prime it with a bit of fuel to start it off though. I recommend one charcoal just to give it plenty. You should prime it before you run the program for the first time.

You need a regular mining turtle otherwise it won't be able to break the ender chest. To be honest, everything the felling turtle can do the mining version can do too and more, for the same cost in Diamonds.

I can get you those screenshots but it will take a little while. I will edit this post in an hour or two when I have the caps. There are some (admittedly poor) instructions bundled into the program which you can read if you want to get started sooner. I put them in as a small exercise when I was bored and I didn't pay much attention so some things might not make sense in the order they are presented. If they don't clear up any confusion you have then hopefully the upcoming screenshots will!

P.S. The refuelling formula defaults to assuming a tree height of 40 (if I remember correctly) unless if you define a recognised tree. Currently it only know about spruce and MFR rubber. Please tell me if you would like me to add support for another tree. Just keep in mind that this program will not work on trees with odd trunks and I don't plan on adding support either, at least for awhile.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Starting a new post instead.

Lots of pictures behind spoiler.

To set up make a large flat area about 13*13 is appropriate and find the centre spot. Place the turtle one block behind it facing the middle. Dig under it and put an ender chest (for depositing items).
2013-09-21_05.24.40.png

Then place place an MFR item collector behind the turtle. Cover the floor in conveyor belts and arrange them so everything heads towards the collector. I find it helpful to mount the conveyor belts onto rednet cable so that I can turn them off as I am working on the area. You don't have to use conveyors. Any system you can come up with to return saplings (and force nuggets if using dartcraft trees) will work fine, including water or obsidian pipes, so long as everything is routed back into the turtle.
2013-09-21_05.28.22.png

(And yes, I see that I have not centred my turtle correctly but this is just a demo;))

When you boot the program up for the first time you will see this screen.

2013-09-21_05.25.35.png

Arrange the ender chest, saplings and comparison log like I have done. It is vitally important that you remember the comparison log - in fact I think I programmed the turtle to error if it detects one of these three items is not present in the right slot.

You will also be asked to input some data. The first question is for telling the turtle what tree you are farming. If it recognises the tree it will be able to more accurately keep tabs on fuel consumption. Whether or not it recognises the tree it will at least say what it is farming. After going through all the set up the turtle screen will look like this.

2013-09-21_05.24.47.png

If you set the Loop mode to for loop like I have done you can tell how many iterations you want to have done.

There is bonemeal in that ender chest too btw. It will attempt to take bonemeal out when it needs to and it puts bonemeal into slot 2. If there is no bonemeal in the ender chest it doesn't matter it will just go into slow mode. Should you add bonemeal into the chest at a later date though I believe it will still get it even if it is in slow mode and then it will run fast again. I might be wring about that though.

Here is the little turtle in action.

2013-09-21_05.28.47.png

Reactions: Siro

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
You will also be asked to input some data. The first question is for telling the turtle what tree you are farming. If it recognises the tree it will be able to more accurately keep tabs on fuel consumption. Whether or not it recognises the tree it will at least say what it is farming. After going through all the set up the turtle screen will look like this.

I looked at the code for a bit. While force trees aren't recognized, all that option does is set the height it will attempt to mine up to. If I recall correctly, force trees don't grow very tall. So try birch (height value of 7 I think) and if you get left with a piece of wood floating in the air, move up to spruce (height value of 20). The default of 40 will waste twice as much fuel, and it seems to be using logs it harvests as fuel.

Reactions: casilleroatr

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I looked at the code for a bit. While force trees aren't recognized, all that option does is set the height it will attempt to mine up to. If I recall correctly, force trees don't grow very tall. So try birch (height value of 7 I think) and if you get left with a piece of wood floating in the air, move up to spruce (height value of 20). The default of 40 will waste twice as much fuel, and it seems to be using logs it harvests as fuel.

This is a good idea. I only ever used it myself to harvest spruce trees and rubber trees so it was never an issue for me. I was going to expand it when I used it for more different trees and there was also a time when I was considering adding support for odd trunk trees. However, I never got round to seriously considering the best way to do that.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
This is a good idea. I only ever used it myself to harvest spruce trees and rubber trees so it was never an issue for me. I was going to expand it when I used it for more different trees and there was also a time when I was considering adding support for odd trunk trees. However, I never got round to seriously considering the best way to do that.

maybe instead of defaulting to 40, prompt for a height. Or just prompt for a height to begin with while also listing standard tree heights.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I could have done that. In fact it was a good idea. To be honest though my menus are pretty cluttered and I they need redoing. If I ever feel like using turtles for tree farms again I will take your advice into account. It is a pretty good idea actually and I think I have a good way of making it work. For now though, I will probably just add in any tree I particularly want to support and it shouldn't be too difficult for anyone else to add it themselves although my code is pretty messy :). By the way I was thinking about the efficiency and it it will only burn too much wood on the first round I think (especially if it was insufficiently primed). It will only take as much fuel it needs to take it above the threshold whenever it is at a certain level.