Auto Egg Collection.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
What machine can I use for automatically collect eggs? Obsidian Pipes are not good enough and the engines I want to use (electrical) actually attach to them.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Transposers backwards pick up items dropped on them, and if you apply either a redstone signal or a redstone pulse they will pick up items around them too (I think)

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
I saw your post and tested it in my test world. They only pick up items directly underneath them. Any distant and they're not touched.

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
I saw your post and tested it in my test world. They only pick up items directly underneath them. Any distant and they're not touched.

Did you use a timer or some other redstone pulse? I use transposers to pick up items fairly frequently. The pulse should cover a 3x3 area.

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
No, you shouldn't have to.

If you're in 1.5.1 you can use vanilla hoppers as a cheaper (if not more iron-expensive) choice.

I would just make a 3x3 box of glass and put chickens in the 1x1 hole in the center, put water in there so they float and drop their delicious chicken fetus into an obsidian pipe/transposer/golem/item transport device below.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
an obsidian pipe, with water flowing to it will do the trick just fine, no need for any engines.
The water will simply wash the eggs inside, and the chickens will get fit doing water aerobics.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
When you next run a quarry, throw a few chickens in there, you'd be surprised just how many eggs you'll have by the time it's done.

or go completely crazy and have the eggs that come from the quarry automatically be fired into the quarry hole, massive chick farm here we come

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
My usual method is to have a barrel, undeneath a transposer (output to barrel), underneath a sign (forget what that's for), underneath a block of water, enclosed on all sides (except the top). Throw a few chickens in there and wander off to do something else.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Transposers will suck things up that fall within a 3 by 3 area so if your floor is bigger than that, you will need more.
http://ftb-wiki.com/wiki/Transposer

This happens only each time that the transposers are given a redstone signal (continuous collection would need a timer). The will also suck up anything that falls into them directly, when in an unpowered state.

If you want a summary of the "item collection" methods, I think that this is about as complete as I can think of:
- Transposers. Powered will draw from 3x3, unpowered from the direct input.
- Obsidian pipes. Unpowered, wil accept items that touch them. Powered depends on the power (I'd imagine that plonking a redstone cell/tesseract next to it would be quite powerful).
- Golems. Will go for a wide area, bit need to make trips for each item (might get overloaded with a large amount of items).
- Hungry Chests. Will accept anything that falls on them.
Probably a SC2 cart module (cleaner?) that will do it, too.

This is based on DW20, as that's the pack I'm familiar with, MFR or other mods may add additional methods.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Item Collectors have always seemed an obvious choice to me for doing this (or any other general mob trap collection). Having an ender chest under the item collector that is connected to my ME network lets me immediately import all the drops.