Aura Cascade - Feedback and discussion

Malaclypse

Jul 29, 2019
Edit2: After doing some testing I do believe that it is required for the difference between two nodes to be >25 in order for aura to transfer, but this is calculated on an aura type basis, and it includes drops. But the capacitor takes the total sum of all the aura types, so if you have less than 25 of another aura type floating around in your capacitor, your capacitor's threshold is reduced by that amount, and that aura will never leave the system. Add more aura colors and the issue grows.

Yeah, that's exactly what I see in the code on github (https://github.com/pixlepix/Aura-Ca...pix/auracascade/block/tile/AuraTile.java#L200).

Pixlepix, is this a bug? It feels like one, but I can also see the case for it being intended behavior. I'll be happy to write up a ticket on github if you want one.

Incendiary

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, that's exactly what I see in the code on github (https://github.com/pixlepix/Aura-Ca...pix/auracascade/block/tile/AuraTile.java#L200).

Pixlepix, is this a bug? It feels like one, but I can also see the case for it being intended behavior. I'll be happy to write up a ticket on github if you want one.
I believe downflow being disabled by the limiter might unintended, I also question the use of a hard 25? It may be intentional for this reason, but there are situations I've seen in my various attempts at violet aura generators that this mechanic results in prevention of proper aura decline. For example, 2 aura nodes connected, one has 5 aura, the other has 26, this system has well under 25 aura per node and should, in my opinion, degrade, but the 26 aura will grow faster than the 5 aura degrades. Although, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, just makes violet generators less easy to predict the behavior of.

pixlepix

Jul 29, 2019
The magic number 25 has always been a bit of a hack, but I've tested many models and this is the best way to get natural-feeling aura flow. That being said, there is a part of me that likes the quatum-esque effects with low amounts of aura.

Incendiary

Jul 29, 2019
The magic number 25 has always been a bit of a hack, but I've tested many models and this is the best way to get natural-feeling aura flow. That being said, there is a part of me that likes the quatum-esque effects with low amounts of aura.
Any comment on the 25 restriction on downward flow as well?

Also, I would like to know the mechanics of kaleidoscopic enchantment stacking as well if possible. Red 1 and Yellow 1 results in occasional silk touching and occasional duplication of ingots, or one non-ores it still doesn't always silk-touch. Red 2 and 3 should be purposeless, butdoes yellow 2 and 3 increase the ratio of non-silk touches to silk touches?

Funny side note, enderman keep getting in and blocking my node pathways with dirt.

pixlepix

Jul 29, 2019
Removing the restriction on downward flow might make sense, I'll look into it.

Looking at the code, that interaction might be partially a bug.

Malaclypse

Jul 29, 2019
With the Bookshelf storage system, is there any way to control which items get placed into which storage books when you first add a new item into the system? Also, when I open the inventory with the Bookshelf Coordinator, NEI doesn't open. I probably don't really need it, but It feels odd to have an inventory open and not see NEI.

pixlepix

Jul 29, 2019
You can insert items into individual storage bookshelves.

NEI not appearing is strange, I'll look into that.

nemba

Jul 29, 2019
How do the angel's enchantments relate to regular ones? Like what does angel's fortune 4 relate to in terms of regular fortune

Malaclypse

Jul 29, 2019
You can insert items into individual storage bookshelves.

I feel dumb, but I can't figure out how to do it. I tried taking a block of coal in hand, then right clicking, left clicking, double right clicking, and shift right clicking on the individual storage bookshelf with an empty dense storage book in it. None of that seemed to do anything interesting.

pixlepix

Jul 29, 2019
I feel dumb, but I can't figure out how to do it. I tried taking a block of coal in hand, then right clicking, left clicking, double right clicking, and shift right clicking on the individual storage bookshelf with an empty dense storage book in it. None of that seemed to do anything interesting.

You need to use automation - I could add in the ability to manually put items in storage bookshelves, but I don't really see a need - especially as it isn't possible to let players take stuff out manually, you run the risk of "How do I get my diamondz back"

Nonsanity

Jul 29, 2019
I'm trying to work out how to use orange aura. From what I understand, making an orange source at one end of a group of nodes and an orange sink at the other end, any other aura in the nodes should move towards and collect in the node closest to the orange sink—due to the flow-inducing nature of orange. This seems to be the case, in that the normal nodes closer to the orange source tend to have very little in them when the orange is flowing while the nodes at the other end are quite full. The aura is more evenly spread between nodes when the orange is off.

However, it seems that (at least in the slightly older version used in Daybreaker 1.0.2, the current recommended version of that pack) orange aura is getting into pumps and capacitors, gumming up the works. Shouldn't orange be prevented from entering such nodes since it cant move vertically (and that's the only way to get out of those nodes)? If this was the case, it looks like orange aura would be an excellent tool for moving aura lifted by multiple pumps all over to a capacitor for rapid dumping. As it is, however, the capacitor is partly filled with orange, which still counts toward its limit and causes a premature dumping.

If something about all this has changed in later versions, I apologize. I'm just trying to get a handle on this. :)

pixlepix

Jul 29, 2019
Nothing stops Orange aura from getting int pumps/capacitors, but you can. Either offset the orange aura block so no hoiizontal connections are formed or place a solid block between orange aura blocks and the rest of the network

tommyTT

Jul 29, 2019
First of all, I really enjoy playing around with this mod, great job! Second of all, I want to share my findings if anyone is interested:

- the optimal height from where to drop aura seems to be 8 blocks (with the total amount of aura in the system being constant)
- always use orange aura manipulators to get the biggest difference in aura between all your sharing nodes (force the aura into your drop node and out of your receiver node)
- keep orange aura out of your normal setup
- reduce the amount of nodes that share aura between each other
- without the orange aura manipulators, keep your nodes as close as possible to each other (horizontally)
- keep in mind, that you lose half of any amount of power that is not used to make more progress in the consumer, so either aim for exact amount of power or be sure to eventually get another progress out of it, so not all is wasted
- if your pumps run empty, you're wasting potential, so always aim for the lowest constant amount of aura in the pumps

If anyone has other useful tips, feel free to share. I still have not figured out how to best incorporate the capacitors as well as black and violet aura. I currently have a system built in my horizons single player world that will generate one ingot of angel steel every 25 seconds. I have to do a little bit more math to minimize the amount of wasted power, but for the moment this isn't an issue. I would like to find out, how powerful the violet aura based systems (or any other ones) are in comparison?

Reactions: Tylor

pixlepix

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure why eight blocks is the optimal height? If you really want to mini-max, all you need is a height that is a factor of your pump speed

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Mod of the Month Selected:

And speaking of progress: the featured mod has been decided! With 16.8% of the vote, Aura Cascade is FTB's Mod of the Month for July/Summer! Congratulations! Over the next few weeks, we'll be developing new pack that features and highlights Aura Cascade!​

NVNbtwo.gif

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

tommyTT

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure why eight blocks is the optimal height? If you really want to mini-max, all you need is a height that is a factor of your pump speed

You're absolutely right, it seemed to be a common factor of all my test setups that I didn't recognize. Very interesting, that means I have to go back to further testing.

If you're open for suggestions, in all my tests I had trouble of getting an accurate reading of the actual amount of power being produced each second. I could calculate it from the readings of a consumer block, but that is sometimes a bit tricky and misleading because of the internal storage. Maybe either the node itself or a monitor next to the node could show the power it produced in the tool tip?

tommyTT

Jul 29, 2019
First of all, I don't expect anyone to legitimately obtain eleventh degree.

What do you consider legitimately? I want to report, that I tweaked my system and can now produce one Angel Steel Ingot every 4 seconds. The system currently runs at a constant 1000000 power second and after letting it run on a server for about 2 and a half days, I'm expecting to craft my first Angel Steel Ingot of the eleventh degree in the next day. I'm up to almost 50000 first degree ingots already, so, still a while until I have enough to craft the actual sword or even longer for the pickaxe.