Assigning Java to use GPU

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
As the tech support says they won't deal with FPS issues, this is the next best place to ask

I saw in another thread that it was possible to force java to use the GPU when rendering in order to make the frames increase. This would be fantastic for me, because at the moment I'm running at about 10 fps on the Resonant Rise 2.5.4-RR pack. I currently have a stock MacBook Pro late 2011 model, and for all the googling I've done.. I can't figure out how to make java use the GPU or how to check if it is using it

So any help would be much appreciated

EDIT: Running with 2gb out of 4gb total RAM, doesn't seem to be overloading my RAM based on the system monitor, and 2gb doesn't seem excessive to me

krugle

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft not using the GPU properly is only a concern in situations when you have an intergrated GPU and a dedicated one as well. Since you are on a laptop as well as on apple tech I can safely guess this is not a situation you would have. Where you would see something like this would be if you bought your desktop system at a store that had an intergrated GPU, the easiest way to tell if you have a intergrated GPU is when looking at your desktop you have connections for video output on the motherboard itself (or if it is from HP,Dell, or Gateway). and later bought a dedicated GPU http://littletechgirl.com/wp-content/uploads/20120816_234914.jpg for expample has an intergrated GPU.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft not using the GPU properly is only a concern in situations when you have an intergrated GPU and a dedicated one as well. Since you are on a laptop as well as on apple tech I can safely guess this is not a situation you would have. Where you would see something like this would be if you bought your desktop system at a store that had an intergrated GPU, the easiest way to tell if you have a intergrated GPU is when looking at your desktop you have connections for video output on the motherboard itself (or if it is from HP,Dell, or Gateway). and later bought a dedicated GPU http://littletechgirl.com/wp-content/uploads/20120816_234914.jpg for expample has an intergrated GPU.

Ahh, thanks for the reply. So it's for when you have two graphics cards that this is where you'd want to start doing that

TheAwesomater

Jul 29, 2019
If you can get into the graphics card drivers (I don't know where they are on mac) then you can assign the java application to use them.

InThayne

Oct 14, 2013
Ahh, thanks for the reply. So it's for when you have two graphics cards that this is where you'd want to start doing that

Not necessarily.*
Most Intel processors post 2010 (Sandybridge- all dates subject to foggy memory) have had a decent integrated graphics processor tacked onto the CPU (Intel HD 3000 eg). Ivybridge (2012ish) is better and the latest Haswells are supposedely something to behold (they will run DiabloIII). To my knowledge, Macs have used Intel exclusively since they dumped the PowerPC architecture in the mid-2000's. Many higher end laptops ship with an additional discrete graphics card, the GPU (Radeon or NVidia eg).

The OS is supposed to switch intelligently between the two, using the discrete for gaming and heavy 3D applications, and the integrated for less demanding routine tasks. Java however is usually not considered a high end application and the OS must be told to use the powerhouse GPU instead of the stuttering integrated unit.
So, check your machine to be sure it does indeed have a discrete GPU in addition to the CPU integrated graphics. Then find some way (control panel, system preferences, graphics menu- yup Mac illiterate) to force the java process to be used by the discrete GPU card.

* Sorry, my Apple knowledge is limited. The only thing I know for sure is that I shouldn't have sold the majority of my shares at 400.

TL;DR If you know you have a good machine, yet still get puzzlingly low FPS- check to make sure java is using your GPU and not your integrated CPU based graphics.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Well, in the machine specs, there is a graphics card, and it's listing that I have a "Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB" card. The thing is, I don't actually know how to check its settings to see if Java is using it or not, I have tried googling that with no success (possibly because I don't really have a clue what I"m looking for in this aspect)

I'm not expecting to get 100+ FPS with my laptop, but I should surely be getting in the range of 20-30 at least.. Not the 5-15 that I'm getting at the moment

InThayne

Oct 14, 2013
The Intel HD graphics is indeed an integrated set up using your CPU. I'm afraid you're stuck with that, unless you add a dedicated card.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
mmm, but I found something interesting, Apparently there's a setting where applications can use what it's terming "High performance GPU" Things like playing a DVD will kick that into play, so I was wondering if anybody knew anything about that? I'm on OS x Mavericks

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
That's what I found, and then where it says about setting it... OS x mavericks made that option disappear.. >.>

That probably means it's still there somewhere, but not anywhere logical.
Of course. Why would you ever need to change anything in your OS? Apple has already decided for you how you're supposed to use their OS. You have no need to ever change anything in it.

Sorry, had to let out my weekly vitriol towards Apple. Please don't mind me.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Of course. Why would you ever need to change anything in your OS? Apple has already decided for you how you're supposed to use their OS. You have no need to ever change anything in it.

You're excused ^^

I have found for general use for Uni, this laptop is fantastic, don't ever need to charge it, but when it comes to games... >.> Bleh. They're really not game friendly.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

That's just sour apples... :D

Reactions: Tristam Izumi

DaximusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
I know this is an old thread, but I do have a laptop with a intergrated GPU as well as a dedicated one. Most of my FTB packs run 8-30 fps. I run a Nvidia GeForce GT 540M for games, and a regular Intel HD Graphics Family for normal stuff. I have 8GB of RAM. Any help would be nice.

Reactions: Wagon153

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Aye, would love to know how to do this on a Windows machine. I know for a fact it has a dedicated graphics card since I installed it myself.