Assigning Java to use GPU

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

InThayne

Oct 14, 2013
Radeon uses its own control app called 'Catalyst' I believe.
Also make sure you are using a 64-bit version of Java....

reddvilzz

Jul 29, 2019
Radeon uses its own control app called 'Catalyst' I believe.
Also make sure you are using a 64-bit version of Java....

Yes it is true it uses catalyst to control it. But I can't figure out how to assign java to the gpu though. Do you know how?

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
Yes it is true it uses catalyst to control it. But I can't figure out how to assign java to the gpu though. Do you know how?
This will tell the video card to override the application settings with the settings you determine. I'm not sure if it will force it to use the dedicated GPU, but you can give it a try:

Right click desktop, AMD Catalyst Control Center, Gaming tab, 3D Application Settings, add what you want and change the settings as needed.

Reactions: reddvilzz

reddvilzz

Jul 29, 2019
This will tell the video card to override the application settings with the settings you determine. I'm not sure if it will force it to use the dedicated GPU, but you can give it a try:

Right click desktop, AMD Catalyst Control Center, Gaming tab, 3D Application Settings, add what you want and change the settings as needed.

I hope it helps the rendering much more. So if I set java in there but when I play other games it will still use the default settings right? Because I only specify it for java only?

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
I hope it helps the rendering much more. So if I set java in there but when I play other games it will still use the default settings right? Because I only specify it for java only?
Yes, it only overrides what you specify, unless you change the default settings. I would recommend doing it for both Java and the FTB launcher/Minecraft to make sure. Let me know how it works out, as I've only used it on non-Java games.

Reactions: reddvilzz

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, it only overrides what you specify, unless you change the default settings. I would recommend doing it for both Java and the FTB launcher/Minecraft to make sure. Let me know how it works out, as I've only used it on non-Java games.
I just tried this and saw no change in performance. Also, all the defaults seem to be the best for performance anyway.

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
I just tried this and saw no change in performance. Also, all the defaults seem to be the best for performance anyway.
The defaults are the best for performance, but by default they don't override the application settings.

Are you using a laptop or a desktop?

Howsyomamanem

Jul 29, 2019
I'm on a powerful desktop with NVidia GTX 750 ti OC. Funny story... I play FTB DW20 1.7.10 and I usually get about 40-50 FPS which is playable. I did something over the holidays (no idea what) that caused my FPS to be consistently above 90 FPS for about 3 weeks. Then about a week ago my FPS went to about 20-30 FPS inexplicably. The worst part is that as I move thru the world I get stutters of very low FPS randomly. I went around my base breaking machines and conduits thinking it was something in-game causing it. I ran OPIS, nothing jumped out at me that could be causing an issue.

After toiling over this for many many hours, I've tried everything.

- did a clean install of my NVidia drivers.
- disabled the onboard iGPU entirely.
- endlessly tinkered with the settings in the NVidia contorl panel.
- read countless articles and forum posts online. (mostly people telling nubes to bypass their onboard GPUs not understanding that in many cases they don't have onboard GPUs to bypass at all).
- I've updated my Java to 1.8. That's right, I was still on 1.7 when I was getting the awesome FPS.
- I've downloaded several GPU monitoring softwares. None of which seem to suggest that my GPU is in anyway over-taxed.
- I play other games (i.e.: non-java) and get awesome FPS on every one.
- I've turned off and on the "Use Optimization Arguments for fast computers?" option in the FTB Launcher many times. Never seems to make a difference.
- I've adjusted the RAM allocated to FTB between 1GB and 8GB (I prefer the suggested 4GB).
- I've done a "Force Update" of the Pack.
- I've tried Fastcraft.
- I'm running the default "Additional Java Parameters:" = "-Xmx4096m -Xms4096m -XX:permSize=128m". I've also tweaked these a little. No real change.

With the game running my GPU is hovering around 4-6% usage.

I've come to the conclusion that many people have this exact same problem and that no one who offers solutions really understands the way java interacts with NVidia GPUs. Thus, none of these "solutions" help those of us with this issue.

Suggestions that don't apply because...
- It's not a Laptop.
- It doesn't have a "integrated GPU" that needs to be bypassed.
- I don't have an option to "run using extended GPU" or whatever when I right click the launcher icon.

I've nearly given up. Which is sad considering how much I truly enjoy FTB.

If anyone really knows how to debug why my GPU isn't being leveraged by FTB, I'd love to hear it.

BTW: In Vanilla I get above 100 FPS consistently.

Details from "GPU Shark":
- Windows 7 64-bit build 7601 [Service Pack 1]
- OpenGL info:
- GL_VERSION: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 347.09 (# ext: 346)
- GL_RENDERER: GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
- GL memory - total:2048MB, usage:587MB
GPU 1 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
- Subvendor: ASUS (1043-84BB)
- Driver version: R347.09
- GPU memory size: 2047MB
- GPU memory type: 128-bit GDDR5
- GPU cores: 640
- Base clock speeds:
- GPU core: 1071.0MHz
- Mem: 2700.0MHz

Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K CPU
RAM: 32GB

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I'm on a powerful desktop with NVidia GTX 750 ti OC. Funny story... I play FTB DW20 1.7.10 and I usually get about 40-50 FPS which is playable. I did something over the holidays (no idea what) that caused my FPS to be consistently above 90 FPS for about 3 weeks. Then about a week ago my FPS went to about 20-30 FPS inexplicably. The worst part is that as I move thru the world I get stutters of very low FPS randomly. I went around my base breaking machines and conduits thinking it was something in-game causing it. I ran OPIS, nothing jumped out at me that could be causing an issue.

After toiling over this for many many hours, I've tried everything.

- did a clean install of my NVidia drivers.
- disabled the onboard iGPU entirely.
- endlessly tinkered with the settings in the NVidia contorl panel.
- read countless articles and forum posts online. (mostly people telling nubes to bypass their onboard GPUs not understanding that in many cases they don't have onboard GPUs to bypass at all).
- I've updated my Java to 1.8. That's right, I was still on 1.7 when I was getting the awesome FPS.
- I've downloaded several GPU monitoring softwares. None of which seem to suggest that my GPU is in anyway over-taxed.
- I play other games (i.e.: non-java) and get awesome FPS on every one.
- I've turned off and on the "Use Optimization Arguments for fast computers?" option in the FTB Launcher many times. Never seems to make a difference.
- I've adjusted the RAM allocated to FTB between 1GB and 8GB (I prefer the suggested 4GB).
- I've done a "Force Update" of the Pack.
- I've tried Fastcraft.
- I'm running the default "Additional Java Parameters:" = "-Xmx4096m -Xms4096m -XX:permSize=128m". I've also tweaked these a little. No real change.

With the game running my GPU is hovering around 4-6% usage.

I've come to the conclusion that many people have this exact same problem and that no one who offers solutions really understands the way java interacts with NVidia GPUs. Thus, none of these "solutions" help those of us with this issue.

Suggestions that don't apply because...
- It's not a Laptop.
- It doesn't have a "integrated GPU" that needs to be bypassed.
- I don't have an option to "run using extended GPU" or whatever when I right click the launcher icon.

I've nearly given up. Which is sad considering how much I truly enjoy FTB.

If anyone really knows how to debug why my GPU isn't being leveraged by FTB, I'd love to hear it.

BTW: In Vanilla I get above 100 FPS consistently.

Details from "GPU Shark":
- Windows 7 64-bit build 7601 [Service Pack 1]
- OpenGL info:
- GL_VERSION: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 347.09 (# ext: 346)
- GL_RENDERER: GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
- GL memory - total:2048MB, usage:587MB
GPU 1 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
- Subvendor: ASUS (1043-84BB)
- Driver version: R347.09
- GPU memory size: 2047MB
- GPU memory type: 128-bit GDDR5
- GPU cores: 640
- Base clock speeds:
- GPU core: 1071.0MHz
- Mem: 2700.0MHz

Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K CPU
RAM: 32GB
I don't think the issue is the GPU(Minecraft needs veery little GPU power.) That said, your cpu shouldn't be an issue. Out of curiosity, what are your temps? And are you using shaders/texture packs?

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
There is no one cause for low FPS in modpack sorry certain maps.

Sometimes a high average tick drives it. Which indicates well. That your you isn't the bottleneck.

In my case I've had high avg tick maps because a village nearby had some villagers trapped so they formed an infinite breeder. A similar thing can happen if ther is a mob spawner near your base that keeps on generating mobs that all leave it's area allowing more and more to spawn.

My latest dw20 game had dropped to about 5fps but a manual upgrade of Thaumcraft to 4.2.3.2 (which turns arcane lamp generated glimmering lights into plain blocks) removed 14k tile entities and my FPS jumped to closer to 100 again.

Howsyomamanem

Jul 29, 2019
Update!!! First thanks for the replies. Second... a couple days after my original post, my computer started behaving. Strangest part. I didn't change a thing. For a few days now, I've been getting between 80-120 fps consistently everywhere in my world. Oddly, my GPU usage now shows actual activity where before it didn't. It's so strange. It's like FTB (java) had no idea I had a GPU installed and was using my CPU for everything. Some how, it just miraculously figured it out all of a sudden.

Look, I've been in IT for over 20 years. I know how unlikely this sounds. But after all the posts I've read with other people suffering from the same thing, there has to be something to it. I'm both glad and sad that it's working now. Glad because of obvious reasons. Sad because now I have no hope of figuring out why it wasn't working before.

Thanks again. Please be patient with anyone else having similar issues.

Prismatik_

Jul 29, 2019
Hiya,

Strange problem I'm having here.
I usually get very low fps in modded packs like Infinity so I set java.exe to use dedicated graphics card.
Unfortunately this cause java to crash as minecraft initialises. Switching back to integrated graphics card let me run the mod pack.

I'd like you help with this issue but I'm new to solving IT problems. If you need extra information please let me know how I can get that.

I am running on:
Windows 10
Java 8 Update 40 (64bit)
Nvidia Geforce 750M with latest drivers installed

Just to update, I have fixed this somehow by limiting java memory to 4gb. It was set to 6gb when using integrated card but only 4gb works with dedicated card.

Last edited:

LoOnyBin25

Jul 29, 2019
Update!!! First thanks for the replies. Second... a couple days after my original post, my computer started behaving. Strangest part. I didn't change a thing. For a few days now, I've been getting between 80-120 fps consistently everywhere in my world. Oddly, my GPU usage now shows actual activity where before it didn't. It's so strange. It's like FTB (java) had no idea I had a GPU installed and was using my CPU for everything. Some how, it just miraculously figured it out all of a sudden.

Look, I've been in IT for over 20 years. I know how unlikely this sounds. But after all the posts I've read with other people suffering from the same thing, there has to be something to it. I'm both glad and sad that it's working now. Glad because of obvious reasons. Sad because now I have no hope of figuring out why it wasn't working before.

Thanks again. Please be patient with anyone else having similar issues.
I have the same problem my 560 Nvidia card is doing better then my new RX580 Radeon and can't get it fixed or sorted out any ideas

Sent from my PRA-LA1 using Tapatalk