Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Calling the Rotarycraft brigade! Let's see if I can get info on some slightly more obscure topics ;)

- In a shaft power bus, I need to place gear or shaft units to define an output side and its behavior. Do those have to be steel gears/shafts specifically, or can I use other materials?
--- If I can use any material, do I need to obey the usual speed/torque tolerances of said materials?
----- If yes, what happens to the shaft power bus if I overstep a tolerance? Does it break/explode or does only the gear/shaft unit inside it break?
- Roughly how much of a growth speed bonus does the ceiling mounted sprinkler give? How about the ground mounted one?
- Is the growth speed bonus from sprinklers a bonemeal effect like OpenBlock's sprinkler, or a growth tick effect like ExtraUtilities' watering can? (not all plants work with the former)
- What's the killer app for flywheels? I mean, I understand how they function from a mechanical perspective - but why and where would you actually use one (or more) in a build ingame?

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
- Is the growth speed bonus from sprinklers a bonemeal effect like OpenBlock's sprinkler, or a growth tick effect like ExtraUtilities' watering can? (not all plants work with the former)
- What's the killer app for flywheels? I mean, I understand how they function from a mechanical perspective - but why and where would you actually use one (or more) in a build ingame?
I know these two. The sprinkler is a growth tick thing.

As far as the flywheels, personally I use one for my on-demand manual smelter. I turn on my engine, then I turn it off when the flywheel is sped up. It's surprisingly efficient and it's fast enough for manual needs.

silentrob

Jul 29, 2019
I know these two. The sprinkler is a growth tick thing.

As far as the flywheels, personally I use one for my on-demand manual smelter. I turn on my engine, then I turn it off when the flywheel is sped up. It's surprisingly efficient and it's fast enough for manual needs.
I'm pretty sure the sprinkler is a bonemeal effect based on how it works with Ender Lilly seeds.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
So you use it like an industrial coil, then?

But then, what keeps you from just using an industrial coil and storing far more power, without any explosion hazard, having the ability to output completely custom power profiles and the ability to mine it and carry it around with you in charged state if that ever becomes necessary? And if not that, what about just turning your engine on and off on demand? Nothing below the turbine tier has fuel-wasting spinup times, and I know you're not using turbines because flywheels cannot handle that kind of speed and torque.

My confusion about flywheels stems from the fact that for every scenario with a flywheel that I can come up with, I can also come up with a flywheel-less build that does more or costs less... or both :confused:

Last edited:

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Calling the Rotarycraft brigade! Let's see if I can get info on some slightly more obscure topics ;)

- In a shaft power bus, I need to place gear or shaft units to define an output side and its behavior. Do those have to be steel gears/shafts specifically, or can I use other materials?
--- If I can use any material, do I need to obey the usual speed/torque tolerances of said materials?
----- If yes, what happens to the shaft power bus if I overstep a tolerance? Does it break/explode or does only the gear/shaft unit inside it break?
- Roughly how much of a growth speed bonus does the ceiling mounted sprinkler give? How about the ground mounted one?
I've always used steel gears/shafts in the buses and it worked perfectly, even coming out of a Reactorcraft turbine. As for flywheels, they are good for if something needs constant power from an inconsistent power source(solar tower!) They can also in theory be used to allow two engines of varying torques to be used on a shaft junction at the same time. There is a turbine flywheel that allows you to equalize the output from a Reactorcraft turbine, so it isn't fluctuating(you do lose a good bit of power though!).[DOUBLEPOST=1412601219][/DOUBLEPOST]In addition, you don't need any fancy redstone circuitry to automate them, unlike coils.

Reactions: Omicron

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Oh right, solar towers! I totally forgot about those. That explains why I couldn't come up with any engines that have fluctuating output.

As for the shaft junction thing... hmmm. That would only work if flywheels output a fixed torque at all speeds, even if the engine driving it has less than that amount. It would act a bit like a storage/transmission hybrid, basically saying "whatever the input torque is, the output torque is now X". Speed would be adjusted to match the power envelope. Do I read that right?

Wait, no, that's not right. Shaft junctions don't care about torque at all, they have problems with different speeds. Do flywheels equalize speed then instead of torque?

Also, why does the Reactorcraft turbine flywheel lose you power? Does it have constant friction losses or something?

Last edited:

DrOnline

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, I am wondering why my Aqueous Accumulator doesn't pump water into my Hobbyist Steam Engine. From the top of the AA, I have Iron Waterproof Pipe travelling horizontally to the top of the square next to the HSE, then it goes down and into the HSE from the side. Yet no water is pumped.

The water is visibly going up into the pipe from the AA, but it does not continue horizontally. Help!

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, I am wondering why my Aqueous Accumulator doesn't pump water into my Hobbyist Steam Engine. From the top of the AA, I have Iron Waterproof Pipe travelling horizontally to the top of the square next to the HSE, then it goes down and into the HSE from the side. Yet no water is pumped.

The water is visibly going up into the pipe from the AA, but it does not continue horizontally. Help!
Could the Iron Pipe's output direction be set to the wrong direction?

DrOnline

Jul 29, 2019
2afdbhc.jpg

The top output of the AA is enabled.

PokeMaserJ

Jul 29, 2019
Can anyone tell me how I can get rid of Tick lag on Single Player? The way I KNOW it's Tick lag is the pie chart if you Shift F3. I have a gaming PC, and I randomly started to have lag on a world. Really bugging me. Could it be that I have an outdated forge? I don't know if that is what's wrong, I'm just guessing

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Can anyone tell me how I can get rid of Tick lag on Single Player? The way I KNOW it's Tick lag is the pie chart if you Shift F3. I have a gaming PC, and I randomly started to have lag on a world. Really bugging me. Could it be that I have an outdated forge? I don't know if that is what's wrong, I'm just guessing
What mod pack? What machines do you have running? Etc. Etc.
If we don't know the cause, we can't give a solution :p

Can anyone help me with this? http://pastebin.com/pFEAyBaN
The ex nihilo rubber tree seed is nameless in nei, and it's causing crashes.
I have been having that too, I think it may be a bug with Ex Nihilo

DrOnline

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, when I cheat and make GOLDEN WATERPROOF PIPE the thing works fine, with the same setup... wtf.. Iron Waterproof Pipe isn't good enough? :D[DOUBLEPOST=1412611328][/DOUBLEPOST]
Why are you using iron pipes? (can't tell with that TP)
Just use stone/cobble pipes?
Because I have obscene amounts of iron and wanted to use a better pipe, thinking perhaps there was less loss. But I need to make gold pipes so... gotta figure out this bee business, because smashing bee hives isn't giving me enough beeswax

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
It looks like you may have the Iron pipe's output in the wrong direction. Iirc, the metal coated looking end is the output.
Oh, when I cheat and make GOLDEN WATERPROOF PIPE the thing works fine, with the same setup... wtf.. Iron Waterproof Pipe isn't good enough? :D
Just for future reference, Iron builcraft pipes are for when you have multiple input directions and a single output direction. It's usefull when you have two machines outputting items and you don't want the items to try and enter the other outputting machine and dump all over the floor. Less useful when transporting fluids. You can right click it with a wrench to change its output direction.

PokeMaserJ

Jul 29, 2019
What mod pack? What machines do you have running? Etc. Etc.
If we don't know the cause, we can't give a solution :p
It's a custom one. Can put mods and versions if needed. I only have a Igneous Extruder running really. Output is to a JABBA Barrel if it matters

DrOnline

Jul 29, 2019
Just for future reference, Iron builcraft pipes are for when you have multiple input directions and a single output direction. It's usefull when you have two machines outputting items and you don't want the items to try and enter the other outputting machine and dump all over the floor. Less useful when transporting fluids. You can right click it with a wrench to change its output direction.

Oh wow, thanks a lot. I made a wrench now and it works now. Thanks a bunch. I definitely see the use in being able to control the direction in the scenario you laid out. Excellent!

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
It's a custom one. Can put mods and versions if needed. I only have a Igneous Extruder running really. Output is to a JABBA Barrel if it matters
Is that it?
Any world gen?

Also, do you have a mod called FastCraft (if you are using 1.7) if not, go get it. 1.7.10 is unoptimized as hell

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Oh right, solar towers! I totally forgot about those. That explains why I couldn't come up with any engines that have fluctuating output.

As for the shaft junction thing... hmmm. That would only work if flywheels output a fixed torque at all speeds, even if the engine driving it has less than that amount. It would act a bit like a storage/transmission hybrid, basically saying "whatever the input torque is, the output torque is now X". Speed would be adjusted to match the power envelope. Do I read that right?

Wait, no, that's not right. Shaft junctions don't care about torque at all, they have problems with different speeds. Do flywheels equalize speed then instead of torque?

Also, why does the Reactorcraft turbine flywheel lose you power? Does it have constant friction losses or something?
They equalize speed. Wheel keeps spinning at the same speed, etc etc.
And you lose power because the speed of a turbine fluctuates greatly while the flywheel equalizes it. So even if the turbine puts out more speed sometimes, the flywheel will stay at the average speed.