Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible to power a steam boiler with a galgadorian woodcutting cart? It seems Reeeaally slow for the ridicules price, and a very limited range on cutting the actual trees (only directly adjacent ones).
Depends on the size of the boiler and the size of the farm you are making. Build it like this, add more loops as needed:

wS5FCiC.png

A simple MFR farm is very quick and much cheaper.
Brown arrow = Sewer with range upgrade, under the cows. Collects sewage.
Green arrow = Composter. Takes sewage, turns into fertilizer. If it's adjacent to the Fertilizer, it automatically transfers its fertilizer into it.
Yellow arrow = Fertilizer. Uses fertilizer to instantly grow trees.
Orange arrow = Harvester. Cuts trees.
Under the trees = Planter. Plants trees with saplings.
Underneath has pipes to put the saplings the Harvester collects back into the Planter and the apples and logs in the other chest.
tQ5qWh6.png

Last edited:

WeaponMaster

Jul 29, 2019
In NEI, There is a bar to the right of the search bar, under all the items. It normally has a 0 in it and buttons to increment and decrement it on the left and right of it. What does this bar do?

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
From what I've understood, multiblock machines or structures tend to generate loads of lag because the machines constantly have to check for completed structures. See Blast Furnaces for instance, or RailCraft tanks or GregTech's stuff. Build too many of them, or use their blocks wrong, and your machine will kneel and the FPS drop to single digits.

However, Minecraft Vanilla's only multiblock element seems to work in a different manner. Beds occupy two blocks, but is placed and handled as one. Is it possible to create less memory-demanding multiblocks by doing it the Bed way? Using crafting recipes to make a single "block" that occupies a, say, 3x3x3 space? Would it be less laggy, or just harder to code with no benefits?

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
In NEI, There is a bar to the right of the search bar, under all the items. It normally has a 0 in it and buttons to increment and decrement it on the left and right of it. What does this bar do?
It changes how many items cheat mode gives you when you click on an item. 0 gives 64, 1 gives 1, 2 gives 2, and so on.

From what I've understood, multiblock machines or structures tend to generate loads of lag because the machines constantly have to check for completed structures. See Blast Furnaces for instance, or RailCraft tanks or GregTech's stuff. Build too many of them, or use their blocks wrong, and your machine will kneel and the FPS drop to single digits.

However, Minecraft Vanilla's only multiblock element seems to work in a different manner. Beds occupy two blocks, but is placed and handled as one. Is it possible to create less memory-demanding multiblocks by doing it the Bed way? Using crafting recipes to make a single "block" that occupies a, say, 3x3x3 space? Would it be less laggy, or just harder to code with no benefits?
The difference is that the mod multiblock structures are ticking entities, while the bed is not. The lag comes from that.

WeaponMaster

Jul 29, 2019

Doors too, operate as doubles. Besides, can you imagine the annoyance of properly placing a multi-block like that? Also, the bed doesn't do anything, unless it is right clicked on by a player, where as machines operate constantly.
Edit: ninja'd :/

Reactions: Kyll.Ing.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Things like railcraft tanks are ticking tile entities BEFORE the multi block structure is completed. So the tank components must not be used for decoration as that causes lag.
Once they detect a completed tank however, the ticking behaviour is turned off, so - in a lot of cases - completed multiblocks are lag friendly, but the component parts are not.

No one

Jul 29, 2019
How do I get fuel out of a refinery? The tank is full, but I can't get it out with waterproof pipes,so basically my refinery is just sitting there with fuel in it, but it I can't do anything with it

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Things like railcraft tanks are ticking tile entities BEFORE the multi block structure is completed. So the tank components must not be used for decoration as that causes lag.
Once they detect a completed tank however, the ticking behaviour is turned off, so - in a lot of cases - completed multiblocks are lag friendly, but the component parts are not.
Is this why some multiblock structures, such as the gregtech Industrial Grinder, have a single "key" block for access; to mitigate lag concerns further? (The component blocks would only need to be referenced when someone accesses the key block or performs an adjacent block update: adding an adjacent block etc which could fiddle with the structure)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Does the arcane bore chunk load the chunks it's mining?
No I don't think so. But if you are using TC3 you need to remember that you also need to remember to chunkload the nodes feeding the arcane bore or else they wont regen their vis. Not sure how the bore is powered in TC4, but would guess it might work somewhat the same.

How do I get fuel out of a refinery? The tank is full, but I can't get it out with waterproof pipes,so basically my refinery is just sitting there with fuel in it, but it I can't do anything with it
You need to pump it out. The refinery wont output it automatically. Use a wooden waterproof pipe(with redstone engines or other means of powering it) or liquiducts/fluiducts to pump it out.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible to power a steam boiler with a galgadorian woodcutting cart? It seems Reeeaally slow for the ridicules price, and a very limited range on cutting the actual trees (only directly adjacent ones).

im powering 1.75 hp steam boilers with a 1-chunk steves cart treefarm. the trick for me was using the exotic tree upgrade and using tigerwood saplings. the growth rate is insane and there are very few leaves. also important, set up a sawmill+cyclic assembler+redstone furnace and feed their products into the boiler, you get more power per log this way.

when i used vanilla oak/spruce, i needed a 1x2 chunk rail setup for a max sized hp boiler with some surplus.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Is this why some multiblock structures, such as the gregtech Industrial Grinder, have a single "key" block for access; to mitigate lag concerns further? (The component blocks would only need to be referenced when someone accesses the key block or performs an adjacent block update: adding an adjacent block etc which could fiddle with the structure)
Exactly. This is also why Seared Brick can be a perfectly acceptable decorative block as well as a functional piece of a smeltery - the only block that actually checks for a multiblock structure is the controller.

Reactions: Pyure

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
Of course, railcraft adds sandy and infernal bricks that are strictly decorative versions of their furnace block.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Question:
Was just going to do some seed testing in Monster and for that I usually use creative flying. I usually use creative+ for this and the way I enabled this was to change the NEI mode to cheat mode and click the button in the top left corner. But when I do that now I don't get any of the top left button, not in cheat or utility mode. What has changed? Am I doing something wrong all of a sudden?

KhrFreak

Jul 29, 2019
Question:
Was just going to do some seed testing in Monster and for that I usually use creative flying. I usually use creative+ for this and the way I enabled this was to change the NEI mode to cheat mode and click the button in the top left corner. But when I do that now I don't get any of the top left button, not in cheat or utility mode. What has changed? Am I doing something wrong all of a sudden?
go into options the same way you change into cheat mode and click the button in the top right that says Global, it should change to World. Now right click the W beside recipe mode to disable it, you should be able to change modes freely again

No one

Jul 29, 2019
No I don't think so. But if you are using TC3 you need to remember that you also need to remember to chunkload the nodes feeding the arcane bore or else they wont regen their vis. Not sure how the bore is powered in TC4, but would guess it might work somewhat the same.

You need to pump it out. The refinery wont output it automatically. Use a wooden waterproof pipe(with redstone engines or other means of powering it) or liquiducts/fluiducts to pump it out.

Thanks for the help,it's finally working now.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
i saw this thing in a thread. "i messed around with my Nvidia control panel and told it to use my GPU when im running java" how exactly do you do that???