Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Infallible83

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone know if there is some bug with minefactory roads? Playing dw20 1.6 and cannot see any speed increase at all. I'd swear they are even a touch slower...

I thought this at first but they don actually increase basic run speed, they increase jump speed. If you are running on them while jumping, you will move faster. Not my favourite mechanic but interesting. Personally I dont like the slippery surface effect they have.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
How far can you trick Ars Magica bosses? For example could I just trap a water guardian in a box and kill him from somewhere safe?

The Earth guardian breaks blocks when it first spawns and the air guardian occasionally blasts huge holes in the ceiling.

They're nothing like the wither though, and given that you need to kill dozens and dozens of bosses to get all the spell components I really don't feel bad about cheesing it. Fire, suffocation, poison, a TiCo rapier in an autonomous activator, frying with MFFS, repeatedly slamming them into iron spikes on the floor and ceiling by toggling a Thaumcraft arcane levitator on and off etc all work. The killing blow must be from a player or something that simulates a player entity.

Arrows, portal turret bullets and many other ranged attacks (other than ranged AM2 spells which are safe to use) will make the boss teleport to the source of the attack. There are no sanity checks on this teleport; if the turret is in a 2x1 space the boss will try to teleport in, get stuck, and start suffocating to death in the ceiling.

Last edited:
Reactions: kaiomann

statphantom

Jul 29, 2019
I personally plan on automating the IC2 crafting by the use of AE ME network as soon as possible. I also believe there is a machine to later replace the hammer etc which you might want to look into. Should be very possible to automate with ME too.

you want the rolling machine for that, its actually a pretty worthwhile machine as it does give a bar > wire option instead of needing to go from bar > plate > wire. and also gives you 3 wires per bar like the old IC2 recipes instead of the current 2. Also if you don't have a stockpile of iron using a forge hammer all the time can really use up a lot of iron

on a personal note. I do want IC2 to be a bit harder but I don't think there should be more steps to make wires.

RamblinWreckGT

Jul 29, 2019
There's a mode on the sorting machine that goes column by column that would allow you to tag the same item with different colors, but as I said it's not terribly practical.
That's what I tried with the cobblestone setup (and just now again with the charcoal just to be sure). I tried setting it to both Anystack Sequential and Allstack Sequential with one charcoal in the first three columns (marked blue, green, and red), and even when I fed them through one at a time it only ever tagged them as blue.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
I thought this at first but they don actually increase basic run speed, they increase jump speed. If you are running on them while jumping, you will move faster. Not my favourite mechanic but interesting. Personally I dont like the slippery surface effect they have.

you can turn off the slippery effect in the MFR config file, if you can and want to that is.

The jumping... that seems odd doesnt it? I posted on skyboy's minecraftforum.net posting, curious to see if this is how they are supposed to work. if so ill be making Tinkers construct roads I guess.

Exadi

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any way to actually get the >40000 RF/t out of the extra utilities Nether Star Generator? It seems like no matter what I attach to it, the generator itself is only allowed to put out a tiny fraction of that... Is the >40000 RF/t reading just there to troll you?

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
My quarry (FTB Ultimate) unearthed something peculiar today:

On an otherwise smooth and level Flat Bedrock (hence the name of the mod) surface, a single block of Bedrock jutted out. On top of it is a Water Source Block. This block can be collected with a bucket, or overwritten by placing another block in its place, but it won't disappear. I scoop it up with my Empty Bucket, and get a Water Bucket, but the source block is still there. I place cobblestone over it, but if I mine it away, the source block respawns as if it had always been there.

What the heck is this?

Also, bonus question, asked again since nobody replied last time: On average, how many blocks are loaded into memory in a single chunk of completely untouched land?

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any way to actually get the >40000 RF/t out of the extra utilities Nether Star Generator? It seems like no matter what I attach to it, the generator itself is only allowed to put out a tiny fraction of that... Is the >40000 RF/t reading just there to troll you?
Redstone energy conduits can pull 10,000 RF/t per connection so you can transfer up to 60,000 out of one block. Unless you have a transvector interface from Thaumic tinkerer in which case it's 120,000 (unless you can link more than one interface in which case, don't know what the max is, something stupidly high though)

On an otherwise smooth and level Flat Bedrock (hence the name of the mod) surface, a single block of Bedrock jutted out. On top of it is a Water Source Block. This block can be collected with a bucket, or overwritten by placing another block in its place, but it won't disappear. I scoop it up with my Empty Bucket, and get a Water Bucket, but the source block is still there. I place cobblestone over it, but if I mine it away, the source block respawns as if it had always been there.

What the heck is this?

Also, bonus question, asked again since nobody replied last time: On average, how many blocks are loaded into memory in a single chunk of completely untouched land?

first thing is possibly from Buildcraft, at least that's apparently who makes those annoying infinite springs that go all the way to bedrock and screw up my steves cart mining setup.

second thing is not really a simple question, you could try the google, I've heard good thing about it but never gotten it to work properly.

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019

What the heck is this?

The water source block sounds like a water spring from Buildcraft.

Exadi

Jul 29, 2019
Redstone energy conduits can pull 10,000 RF/t per connection so you can transfer up to 60,000 out of one block.

I know; I tried having 5 of those, 4-5 ultimate universal cables or whatever from Mekanism, 4-5 of the best Ender IO cable, 5 Resonant energy cells attached directly, etc. The internal storage of the generator still filled up almost immediately.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
I know; I tried having 5 of those, 4-5 ultimate universal cables or whatever from Mekanism, 4-5 of the best Ender IO cable, 5 Resonant energy cells attached directly, etc. The internal storage of the generator still filled up almost immediately.

Well the only info I have found suggests that it produces a little less than 41000 RF/t so 5 should be able to do it, make sure that you have your power line connected to something that can actually absorb 41000 RF/t, like a bank of Resonant energy cells. You could try the transvector interface (don't know how well it interacts with the new generators) you should be able to slap a total of 12 conduits onto the system.

Other than that, it might very well be a jokey item or it could just be buggy or have changed how much it is producing.

Exadi

Jul 29, 2019
Just tried it again outside of creative mode and found it it kills you. Yeah, definitely seems like this only exists to waste your time. :(

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
I'm petty sure the MFR roads act exactly like Vanilla ice, including the jumping to move faster thing.

Do you happen to know if TiC roads work without jumping? Also its odd, i rmember using a quantum suit on a MFR road probably 9 months ago, and it was faaaaast. no jumping needed. Hmm.

Also, does anyone know how it would affect a server for a player to say... travel 35K blocks in a single direction at the start of a world? Would this just affect the data size of the world folder, or will it put more strain on the server CPU and/or RAM too? Does the CPU keep all explored areas in ram or something? Could I save ram by not allowing players to do this?

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Also, does anyone know how it would affect a server for a player to say... travel 35K blocks in a single direction at the start of a world? Would this just affect the data size of the world folder, or will it put more strain on the server CPU and/or RAM too? Does the CPU keep all explored areas in ram or something? Could I save ram by not allowing players to do this?

All it should do is cause lag because you are generating new chunks, it will create a larger save, if all the player wants is a base far away from everyone and has no plans for something like a rail system or running back and forth consider having them ask for a /tp
As far as I know the game only keeps loaded chunks in memory, that's why cunkloaders put strain on the server.

Reactions: zorn

DEL 707

Jul 29, 2019
Need a bit of help.

I'm trying to setup the MJ items in my machine room, so that they all come off 1 power supply, rather then individual electrical engines. So I built a Redstone Energy Cell.

8eps.jpg

1ta5.jpg

My problem, is that I have no idea how to control the MJ power. works for a while, then a pipe blows up. Is there anyway to set the machines so that they only draw power when in use?

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
I'm assuming you're using 1.4.7 if you have exploding pipes? Because that was changed in the 1.5.2 packs so pipes don't explode, and you can't connect MJ engines to energy cells at all in 1.6.4 packs.

I don't remember if it exists in 1.4.7, but you can try gate conditionals for "has work" and only send a redstone signal to the energy cell (to turn it on) when there's work to be done. If that doesn't work, then make some sort universal on/off switch for the energy cell and machines?