Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Simple question: How do you make Hardened Ice? I can make regular ice...but cannot figure out if it's possible to change it to hardened afterwards (got SOME hardened off the polar shelf near my base, but it's not enough for the build I have in mind.) Any help is appreciated!
Fairly certain it's worldgen only via BoP.

behedwin

Jul 29, 2019
Looking for good setups for Nuclear reactors.

I am after some simple setups that either can be running forever without any chance of explosion or something you turn on for a few min to get lots of EU and then shut down.

I have not found any guides that seems to be up to date to todays versions of the mods.
Please point me in a direction or tell me.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
For reactor designs, you can look on the IC2 forums. Specifically, this thread. It contains many of the best internal cooling setups currently known to the community - those that manage the best combinations of output, efficiency and building/running cost. You will only find "safe and sensible" design there though. For example, you will not find microcycle (unsafe) or condensator (super expensive) reactors.

The designs posted there, and the online reactor designer application used to make and display them, continue to remain valid for all versions of IC2 running on Minecraft 1.4.x, 1.5.x or 1.6.x. This also includes the new experimental builds for 1.6.x, although MOX fuel rods are missing. The reason is, the maker of the reactor planner has disappeared and the applet is no longer being updated.

As a result, you can make GregTech reactors with the online planner for GregTech 2.8x or earlier only. Newer GregTech versions (i.e. Ultimate pack and newer) are not supported. You will have to use the ingame reactor designer in the GregTech computercube for that.

But yeah, any design using pure uranium in the thread I linked will work perfectly fine with any version of IC2 you can get via the FTB launcher. All of them are Mk.I reactors, meaning they run forever without heat buildup.

For microcycle reactors (which is what you call those that you only turn on for short periods of time), you can try and read the discussions about DDoS / CRCS reactors. It's basically the evolution of microcycle reactors, where you build reactors too hot for self-cooling, but instead of turning them off, you hot-swap cooling cells and use external cooling towers to cool them back down.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
If your using Gregtech btw, you can make a vacuum freezer. Any coolant cells placed in there will be reset back to normal temperature. Even with the power required to run the vacuum freezer, you should have a sizable surplus.

Redius

Jul 29, 2019
Another fun question; I placed down an Aludel.....now, how can you remove it? Tried drilling, chainsaw, wrench, portal gun pickup....nothing seems to work. Help!

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
I've recently had two worlds/bases more or less destroyed by chunk resets. In both cases, the chunk that reset held a tesseract pumping lava into a railcraft tank from an enderthermic pump in the nether.

I know that chunk-loaders + enter tanks = bad news, but does this also extend to other devices? The crash log of the second time seemed to say that the problem was the Railcraft tank, but, I think that might have just been a side-effect of the tank being chopped in half by the chunk reset.

Redius

Jul 29, 2019
IS there any sort of an FTB-Esque modpack out for 1.6?

Nothing official; several people have cobbled together 1.6-style packs, but the makers of the FTB set have stated they'll be waiting till 1.7 to create another compendium.

behedwin

Jul 29, 2019
I created a lava age with mystcraft.
setup some platforms with cobble.

When i come back (hours) later
some of the cobble is gone and instead i have some sand/gravel

Is there some mystcraft sideeffect that transform blocks?

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
I created a lava age with mystcraft.
setup some platforms with cobble.

When i come back (hours) later
some of the cobble is gone and instead i have some sand/gravel

Is there some mystcraft sideeffect that transform blocks?

That'd be the erosion effect. It's a form of instability, which occurs when you get greedy with your ages, or if you just don't write them very well.

behedwin

Jul 29, 2019
What is the difference between High Voltage Solar Array and Ultimate Hybrid Solar Panel?
Both output 512eu/t afaik?

From what i can see, the ultimate hybrid version needs lots of Iridium to be created.
The high voltage version needs lots of more common resources like iron, copper, rubber.

What version are you using and why?

I am playing ftb unleashed + gregtech.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
IIRC the Hybrid Solar Panels generate an itty bitty teeny bit of EU when it's night or it's raining, but it's really not that much.

Aloc

Jul 29, 2019
Nothing official; several people have cobbled together 1.6-style packs, but the makers of the FTB set have stated they'll be waiting till 1.7 to create another compendium.

Hmm, I thought FTB Team was going to release a 1.6 pack as soon as the launcher was working. You're saying that the next one will be 1.7? o=