Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
I'd guess not as I'd be using IC2 power for it, but doesn't Diamond also increase the mining power by two levels, or is it TO level 2 if it's below?

It only increases it TO level 2 if it's below. Basically, adding a diamond to a pick brings it to the mining level of a diamond pick if it wasn't already. So, you can't make a cobalt/ardite mining pick by adding a diamond.

That's good. A villager breeding system was what I had in mind, I just wanted to start the process.

Also, I've not messed with villages before, so will two villagers breeding create a villager of a random caste, or of a caste based on the parents? In other words, if I start with two farmer (brown) villagers, will I get the mod villagers eventually, or will I only get more farmers?

It'll be a random caste.

azzyj

Jul 29, 2019
Once I saw a video on youtube and the person was using something and he could see all his stuff and choose what he needed. Could someone tell me what block this could be and how to use it ? thx

I believe you are talking about an ME system it takes a lot of materials to build but they are great! There are many youtube videos on how to set the system up, you should watch one before starting to make the machines.

Sam6555

Jul 29, 2019
Well that's annoying, just found out Adv Nano chest doesn't function as a charging device, graagh. Guess I wont be using IC2 power for mt TC pick...Is the only defensive chest that charges a gravsuite? Oh and powersuit, I think.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Honestly, if it's for a pick, I wouldn't care to get it 5 levels of redstone - it'll be very fast anyway, and if you just want to make tunnels quickly it's cheaper and faster to get a mining laser. If you want to clear larger areas quickly, I'd recommend getting a hammer instead.
But if you want max speed, I believe that getting stonebound (increases speed as durability decreases) and damaging the item down to very low durability, and after that charging it's electricity, will get you even faster.

This is untested guesswork, but: Hammers have four pieces, so I think you could go with cobalt head, thaumium plate, ardite plate, and paper rod. That should give you 7 modifiers, a decent base speed, and stonebound. Use it until nearly broken, then slap on IC2 and redstone. That should get you a pretty fast 3x3 miner.

I believe that fortune 3 adds 0-3 extra drops from any dropped items (though it's not a linear chance), and that ingots from autosmelting counts as this. Thus, if you have fortune 3 and autosmelting, you'll get 2-5 iron ingots from each ore (but you're much more likely to get 2 than 5, I believe).
I remember reading on this forum somewhere that someone found that a cobalt-paper-thaumium pick with loads of redstone would mine faster than a nearly broken full ardite pick (for maximum stonebound) with 100 fewer redstone, due to the lack of extra modifiers.

That's good. A villager breeding system was what I had in mind, I just wanted to start the process.

Also, I've not messed with villages before, so will two villagers breeding create a villager of a random caste, or of a caste based on the parents? In other words, if I start with two farmer (brown) villagers, will I get the mod villagers eventually, or will I only get more farmers?
After you cure your first zombie villager, you could also launch a Safari Net at it (you need to use the launcher- clicking the villager with a net directly will only open the trading GUI) and drop said net into an MFR Auto-Spawner, and supply power and Mob Essence. If you leave the "Exact Copy" option off, the spawner will require less energy and essence per spawn, and also give random villagers- including any and all mod villagers.

I believe you are talking about an ME system it takes a lot of materials to build but they are great! There are many youtube videos on how to set the system up, you should watch one before starting to make the machines.
The mod in question here is the surprisingly well-documented mod Applied Energistics- it's extremely powerful, but not without extreme cost. All relevant information should be available on the AE Wiki- although a YouTube tutorial or spotlight could prove very useful in setting up an ME network.

Well that's annoying, just found out Adv Nano chest doesn't function as a charging device, graagh. Guess I wont be using IC2 power for mt TC pick...Is the only defensive chest that charges a gravsuite? Oh and powersuit, I think.
A Modular Powersuit should keep any electric tools you have at about 1% charge- enough to function, but the suit will tend to keep all the energy in its own batteries. Also note that if you have the generators from MPSA in your suit (solar, kinetic, thermal), they will charge batteries or electric tools in your inventory after the suit itself is charged.

I also know that the suit will use batteries in your inventory as power sources- so if the batteries in your suit aren't big enough for you, just keep a few lapotron crystals (or energyorbs, if you're running GregTech) in your inventory.

zc152

Jul 29, 2019
Where do the Liquid storage barrels in FTB Unleashed come from? I can't seem to find them on google or even in the config files for the pack.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Does Natura world-gen generate in Biomes O'Plenty biomes?
Yes. I've seen some Natura trees and lots of berry bushes in BoP-type worlds.

I have noticed that BoP seems to mess with Natura heat sand and tainted soil generation in the Nether, though, by placing an extra layer of netherrack on top. I've seen one meter of netherrack atop two or three meters of tainted soil more times than I could count. Also, the only time I've seen heat sand was at the edge of a lava lake, with netherrack on top.

At least I *think* this is BoP's doing- I don't know of any other mods that change Nether terrain generation.

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
f7 used to show where you need to place a torch so mobs won't spawn. I am using unleashed has this changed to some new key?

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
f7 used to show where you need to place a torch so mobs won't spawn. I am using unleashed has this changed to some new key?

Nope, but it's changed what it shows, yellow x on a block means it has valid spawn conditions at night only, whilst a red x on a block means it has valid spawn conditions all the time.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I have an ME Network set up with the Molecular Assembly Chamber and MOST everything is working great. My first question is how do I monitor/maintain multiple item levels within the system. Specifically, I use minium stones for converting obsidian up to diamond. If I run out of gold, stone or inert stones and the minium stone is used up the system halts as the minium stone requires gold/iron ingots to be made but the ingots require the minium stone to be made. I would like to keep a stack of stone, gold and iron bars in the system at all times to avoid this catch 22. Level emitters seem like the way to go but I am unsure how to set them up to monitor multiple items on a single machine. This leads to my next question.

Occasionally when crafting multiple things at once a machine will stall and become unable to process the requests because both items are trying to be crafted at the same time (the induction smelter comes to mind). I then have to cancel the crafting jobs and remove/add the patterns in the interface to stop random ores from being dumped into the smelter. Is there a way to cure this or is it just a downfall of the system that one thing should be requested at a time? Would multiple MAC's or more CPUs relieve this problem?

1.) Define "monitor items". Do you want only to see the storage levels, or do you actually want the system to automatically react based on that information? For looking at storage levels, the ME storage monitors are great. Level emitters work as well, but they give you less information (only light on or off depending on whether your storage is above or below a threshold).

You can however try to use level emitters for controlling an automatic reaction. That depends on how you craft your diamonds, though. Is that a "click to request X diamonds" kind of deal, or do you have the system rigged to craft constantly, automatically until it runs out of resources?

2.) That's an issue with external crafting patterns that you won't be able to circumvent. The ME interface does not magically gain knowledge about what it is attached to, after all. It is a completely dumb device that must blindly rely on the paradigm of "if you output X items of this type from your <configurable> face, then somehow somewhere Y items of that other type will find their way into the ME system". It does not know how long a furnace takes to smelt an ingot, or even what "smelting" means. It has no idea what a carpenter is or does. It cannot tell apart a pipe from a chest from a machine from a hopper. It does not know if somewhere else in the system another ME interface just exported a different external recipe in order to produce a part that is missing for the first one. All it knows is that when the ME system says "export this item there now", it must attempt to export the item there now, regardless of whether the request is valid or not.

The only way around this is to make sure not to have potentially conflicting patterns in interfaces sitting on multi-input machines. This will in 95% of all cases mean that you need to build another machine and another interface every time you detect a case where an autocrafting operation ends up ordering two or more recipes from the same multi-input machine, and one or more of the recipes has on-demand components (i.e. the system needs to wait for the component to be produced to be insertable).

I have had the same issue with GregTech, trying to autocraft solar panels. Many steps need to be done in the assembling machine, but it is a multi-input device. In the end, I needed three assembling machines to make a single LV solar without recipe conflicts: the first crafts metal plates into circuit boards, the second crafts circuit boards and cables into circuits, and the third (after a large number of sub-steps come together from various other machines) assembles the eight solar panel blocks from panels and machine blocks. If I didn't have three, then the ME system would try to insert machine blocks and cables and circuit boards and metal plates all at the same time, trying to craft three different things at once that are all dependant on another finishing first. It was not possible to do with less than three.

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, but it's changed what it shows, yellow x on a block means it has valid spawn conditions at night only, whilst a red x on a block means it has valid spawn conditions all the time.

Also if you can't see any of those X after pressing F7, try to set your graphics to fast in the options, as there is a display bug with the F7/F9 displays and fancy graphics.

Deftscythe

Jul 29, 2019
So I've made a couple solar panels, I've connected them to an MFE via gold cable and I've not connected them to the wrong side of said MFE. Despite all this, my MFE is not charging. What am I doing wrong? I haven't messed with IC2 in quite some time so it's possible something's changed but I have no idea what.

Painstouch

Jul 29, 2019
Screenshot of the setup would be preferable to determine the exact problem.

EDIT: Also, don't forget clearing anything above Solar Panels, they need sunlight. Right clicking on them will tell you if they are working, their sun icon will be yellow, not grey.

Esperologist

Jul 29, 2019
I just searched around a bit and couldn't find the answer... so here I am.
It may seem like a silly question... but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be asked.
About Minefactory Reloaded.

Question: How much EU/t can MFR machines take?

Reasoning:
Most machines that run on EU also blow up if they are given too much.
The only exception I know of is the Electric Engine from Forestry, that does who knows what with the extra EU it recieves.
(If someone knows that one, go for that as well. Does it buffer the extra and use it, or just waste it?)

IC2 and GregTech like blowing stuff up... well, so does Buildcraft with the combustion (combustable) engine.
So, does MFR carry the tradition or do they follow the way of Forestry?

Back on the electric engines... what causes them to overheat?
Is it just running time or does it have something to do with the actual work load it is applied against?

So, three questions... of which, I could just run experiments on two of them.
However, I like getting answers onto the internet, so others may find them if they opt to not experiment in creative.
(The one I can't experiment to answer is what the electric engine does with the EU it doesn't use from a packet.
If it uses 6 EU/t and I feed it 2048 EU/t, what happens to 2042 of that?)

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
Here are the panels themselves, above-ground and unobstructed:
http://i.imgur.com/Zrpa4Sp.jpg

And their connection to the MFE below-ground in my basement:
http://i.imgur.com/HPDnnyt.png

Gold cables lose 1 EU every 2.5 blocks, so rounded this means that after 3 blocks, you lost 1 EU/t. From the pictures, those are the standard solar panels, that only provide 1 EU/t, which gets eaten completely by that lossy cable. You could switch to glass fibre cable (lossless for 39 blocks I think) or switch to copper (4 blocks without loss) and extend the range by putting a transformer in the line to restart the counter.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
ULV cable (tin) even does 39 blocks without loss for a tiny fraction of the cost of glass fiber, for up to 5 EU/t. It's the premier choice for the IC2 renewables.