Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
The redstone signal comes from the gate adjacent to the engine. Gates basically do "IF condition = true THEN take an action". And emitting a redstone signal is part of the possible actions they can do. You should really look at gates first, then you will understand what I meant. It's very intuitive.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Then you should use gates and as long as the gate receiving a redpipe signal but I should recommend a better power source than Stirling engines since they waste resources.

Magmatic engines are great for starting off with a MJ power system.
I don't have a ready supply of lava to use in that kind of engine.

The redstone signal comes from the gate adjacent to the engine. Gates basically do "IF condition = true THEN take an action". And emitting a redstone signal is part of the possible actions they can do. You should really look at gates first, then you will understand what I meant. It's very intuitive.
I understand the code logic, just not how to hook everything up in-game. I can't seem connect a pipe to a Chronotyper, so it won't work anyways. Thanks guys.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019

I understand the code logic, just not how to hook everything up in-game. I can't seem connect a pipe to a Chronotyper, so it won't work anyways. Thanks guys.
If magmatic is no-go, in steam is better, but requires constant water.

Not quite sure about the pipes, could you post a pic?

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
If magmatic is no-go, in steam is better, but requires constant water.

Not quite sure about the pipes, could you post a pic?
I can do steam, but I'd go biomass -> biofuel... I'd be taking the long route, I think and that's not set up yet either. I can post a picture of where I want the pipe/gate, give me one second.

That's the set up I have now.

Dr_appleman

Jul 29, 2019

One gate to the power storage and one next to the engine and pipe wire along the conductive pipes note that you have to use the pipes conduits won't work unless you don't mind using redstone.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I can do steam, but I'd go biomass -> biofuel... I'd be taking the long route, I think and that's not set up yet either. I can post a picture of where I want the pipe/gate, give me one second.

That's the set up I have now.
I meant a hobbyists engine. I'll edit this or post again when I can look at the pics.
E. I sort of see...not really sure how to help you there, but I know magmatic engines shut off when there is no work. I know you don't want to us them though. I can't really help, so I suggest that you make a test world and mess about in creative til it works. Unless someone else has a solution. Then you have e answer.

Anubis

Jul 29, 2019
All you need are 2 structure pipes, 2 pipe wire, & 2 gates. The gate next to the Chrono needs to be "can store energy" then Red pipe signal. The gate on the Engine needs "red pipe signal on" then emit Redstone. I'm going off off of memory here at work so the BC conditions might be called something else.

Dr_appleman

Jul 29, 2019
All you need are 2 structure pipes, 2 pipe wire, & 2 gates. The gate next to the Chrono needs to be "can store energy" then Red pipe signal. The gate on the Engine needs "red pipe signal on" then emit Redstone. I'm going off off of memory here at work so the BC conditions might be called something else.

But wouldn't it be cheaper to use only one gate on a single structure pipe that sends a redstone signal when the unit can store power and sends that signal towards the engines/engine.

Anubis

Jul 29, 2019
But wouldn't it be cheaper to use only one gate on a single structure pipe that sends a redstone signal when the unit can store power and sends that signal towards the engines/engine.
Most certainly you could use one, you just get the RS signal up to the engine. I personally love over-engineering things and the look of BC gates/wires/pipes next to machines... reminds me of days before AE.

Reactions: RoloisRight

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
...I was killing them with a grinder. That's profoundly irritating behaviour. I want to automate everything, dammit!

The Extra Utilities Peaceful Table gives ALL mob drops including minium stones and skulls and weapons, etc. But, it only works if the difficulty is peaceful, and it feels kind of cheaty even though it uses up your swords.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
I did this, and it doesn't seem to be working. Here's the set up;

The engine wont turn off. It kept putting out power even though the machine was full, and then I removed all of the fuel in it, let it burn out, and it still wouldn't stop.
The bottom gate is set to- "Can store energy -- Redstone signal".
The top gate is set to- "Redstone Signal on -- Redstone Signal".

EDIT; Once the engine stopped, everything worked fine, but then after the machine was full of power again, the engine wouldn't shut off, and the bottom gate was switched on.

Dr_appleman

Jul 29, 2019
I did this, and it doesn't seem to be working. Here's the set up;

The engine wont turn off. It kept putting out power even though the machine was full, and then I removed all of the fuel in it, let it burn out, and it still wouldn't stop.
The bottom gate is set to- "Can store energy -- Redstone signal".
The top gate is set to- "Redstone Signal on -- Redstone Signal".

EDIT; Once the engine stopped, everything worked fine, but then after the machine was full of power again, the engine wouldn't shut off, and the bottom gate was switched on.

The bottom should be send red pipesignal and the top should receive one.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
If I interpret the picture correctly you used a "Gate" (named exactly that). For pipe wires to be used, you need at least an Iron Gate (can utilize red pipe wire).
Now let's use that Iron Gate twice and connect those two via red pipe wire. Set the bottom gate next to the Chronotyper to "IF hasWork THEN redPipeWireSignal" and the top gate next to the engine to "IF redPipeWireSignal THEN emitRedstone".
Just remember that stirling engines or steam engines will always burn through a whole item of fuel (e.g. Charcoal), it cannot burn it partially. When you stop giving the engine a signal midway, it will still burn through the rest of the current fuel item and store the produced energy in an internal storage. This internal storage will slowly evaporate the energy.
I think a better setup would be, where your gate triggered redstone signal controls a contraption that inserts exactly one item into the engine, while the engine has a permanent signal (e.g. a lever). The gate at the chronotyper should be something like "IF hasWork AND noEnergyStored THEN redPipeWireSignal". This way the internal energy storage of the Chronotyper can be utilized, since it doesn't have power dissipation. Maybe build a Turtle above the engine with the second Iron Gate next to it (configured like in my second paragraph). This turtle has a program which drops one fuel item down on receiving a redstone signal. A program for a similar problem like this was posted sometime today, maybe in this very thread. You'd need to look around a bit.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, wrong pipe wire signal.

Basic gates cannot do pipe wires at all. Iron AND/OR gates can do red pipe wire, golden gates can do one (or two?) colors more, and diamond gates can do all four colors.

What you want is an Iron gate next to the chronotyper saying "can store energy -> red pipe signal" and the gate next to the engine doing "red pipe signal -> redstone signal".

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Can golems cut down trees, plant the saplings, and move the wood logs to a chest? I've never used golems, and the guy I play FTB with just researched golems.