Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
yep and you will be shocked how fast one in and 9x9 plot of land with 1 dumb wood golem and pile up quickly. I just put them away after they filled a few barrels and I'm set for a long time now.
I think golems will be replacing a infernal farm&harvester soon. Methane power is interesting.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
Axe of the Stream is the best of the Thaumcraft tools in my opinion. For sheer convenience it's worth just making another one when it breaks.

FTB mob traps are generally built around T5 Soul Shards spawners. I don't think there is much in the pack to help with traditional mob farms, although a turtle to finish off the mobs after a drop trap and deal with the loot is nice. I have a close copy of Direwolf20's Blaze spawner with a 6 melee turtles feeding an XP turtle that auto-enchants books. Repair is really rare on books. Also I try not to use my Repair tools around my base due to the aura usage. It's actually a shame that I got Repair on my Sword of the Zephyr, I might try to Uncraft it off.
Aura usage? I have a few spawners around my base that I'd like to turn into something where I can farm xp, I just wans sure what FTB added on that front beside brain in a jar.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
Aura usage? I have a few spawners around my base that I'd like to turn into something where I can farm xp, I just wans sure what FTB added on that front beside brain in a jar.
The repair enchant uses Vis from the local Aura to repair tools. Using Vis can cause Flux, which in turn can cause a whole bunch of headaches. Or excitement, depending on how bored you are :p

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I should have said "vis" not "aura". The Repair enchant uses up some vis which then creates flux. I think Axe of the Stream itself uses vis just in normal usage, but I'm not entirely sure as I don't have goggles yet.

I made a natural spawner into a traditional zombie water elevator and drop trap, which I farmed manually for zombie souls to put into a T5 spawner. Then I put a turtle in to do the killing and get me faster XP, but I had to throttle the zombie production rate as the turtle couldn't keep up. I use a lever now because I had to remove the pressure plate that the zombies were dropping on when a change meant that the turtle had to be underneath the mobs in order to reliably hit them.

So, Melee Turtle, XP Turtle, Brain in a Jar, these are the only things that I can think of that help making an easy mob farm. XP Turtle would save your space problem with the library, just get it to enchant anything in its inventory when it has 30 levels. No bookshelves necessary, just attach the Enchanting Table to the turtle.

WAFFLE OF WAR

Jul 29, 2019
I should have said "vis" not "aura". The Repair enchant uses up some vis which then creates flux. I think Axe of the Stream itself uses vis just in normal usage, but I'm not entirely sure as I don't have goggles yet.

I made a natural spawner into a traditional zombie water elevator and drop trap, which I farmed manually for zombie souls to put into a T5 spawner. Then I put a turtle in to do the killing and get me faster XP, but I had to throttle the zombie production rate as the turtle couldn't keep up. I use a lever now because I had to remove the pressure plate that the zombies were dropping on when a change meant that the turtle had to be underneath the mobs in order to reliably hit them.

So, Melee Turtle, XP Turtle, Brain in a Jar, these are the only things that I can think of that help making an easy mob farm. XP Turtle would save your space problem with the library, just get it to enchant anything in its inventory when it has 30 levels. No bookshelves necessary, just attach the Enchanting Table to the turtle.
Seems like a process, but also seems like it could be a lot of fun. ;p Thanks.

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
Two unrelated questions that I didn't feel right starting a thread for:

1) Are unstacked Xychorium Soil blocks supposed to be slower than hydrated farmland? I'm in the process of converting my farm to Xych soil, since it looks more techy. Before I was finished converting all of the blocks, I noticed that the Corn I had planted on the hydrated farmland was growing MUCH faster than the corn I planted on the Xych Soil --- as in, I could harvest the corn on the farmland about three times more frequently than the corn growing on the Xych soil. It was a very distinct difference in growth rate. (And I can't seem to plant Flax on Xych Soil at all.)

2) Is linking two Carts supposed to utterly cripple their momentum? It's gotten to the point where I need a full stretch of Control or Booster tracks to move my Chest Cart once I link it to an Anchor Cart; before linking, my lone Chest Cart was zipping along a track that had only a few Booster Tracks. I'd understand twice as many to make up for the extra weight, I suppose, but in practice I'm needing much, MUCH more than that.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Two unrelated questions that I didn't feel right starting a thread for:

1) Are unstacked Xychorium Soil blocks supposed to be slower than hydrated farmland? I'm in the process of converting my farm to Xych soil, since it looks more techy. Before I was finished converting all of the blocks, I noticed that the Corn I had planted on the hydrated farmland was growing MUCH faster than the corn I planted on the Xych Soil --- as in, I could harvest the corn on the farmland about three times more frequently than the corn growing on the Xych soil. It was a very distinct difference in growth rate. (And I can't seem to plant Flax on Xych Soil at all.)

2) Is linking two Carts supposed to utterly cripple their momentum? It's gotten to the point where I need a full stretch of Control or Booster tracks to move my Chest Cart once I link it to an Anchor Cart; before linking, my lone Chest Cart was zipping along a track that had only a few Booster Tracks. I'd understand twice as many to make up for the extra weight, I suppose, but in practice I'm needing much, MUCH more than that.

Thanks in advance for your insight!
1) Sounds like a bug. From everything I've read/seen Soil blocks should be equivalent to hydrated farmland.
2) Yes, this is intended. You should use locomotives to move your trains.

tabs

Jul 29, 2019
I'm trying to craft an Engineering turtle in Ultimate. Is this recipe disabled by default? First time I've tried to make one and it's not working. Doesn't show up in NEI either.

merehunt

Jul 29, 2019
a quick question: Is there a mod that has flashlights/lamps, that can be held in hand and it would light stuff around/in front of you?

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
I'm trying to craft an Engineering turtle in Ultimate. Is this recipe disabled by default? First time I've tried to make one and it's not working. Doesn't show up in NEI either.
None of the Misc. Peripherals recipes show up in NEI. There are almost as many different possible turtles as there are microblocks, so I'm actually kinda glad its not filling up NEI with lots of extremely similar recipes.

According to the Misc. Peripherals thread you can get a wrench turtle with the IC2 Wrench, BC Wrench, or RC Crowbar and regardless of what you use it will act like all the wrenches it knows of. I seem to recall seeing something with a crescent hammer somewhere (which is what you're talking about I think), but I can't seem to find it in that thread.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
a quick question: Is there a mod that has flashlights/lamps, that can be held in hand and it would light stuff around/in front of you?
GregTech adds a light helmet that accomplishes this. If you don't have GregTech I believe the quantum helmet also provides a lamp (if you do have GT I believe the lamp functionality is disabled by default).

A better (imo) solution, however is to get the Modular Power Suits helmet and instal a night vision upgrade. Even in complete darkness at bedrock level you can still see perfectly. You can achieve the same effect by brewing a bunch of night vision potions (use netherwart to get awkward potions, then use golden carrots) but it's not automatic and less tech-y.

tabs

Jul 29, 2019
None of the Misc. Peripherals recipes show up in NEI. There are almost as many different possible turtles as there are microblocks, so I'm actually kinda glad its not filling up NEI with lots of extremely similar recipes.

According to the Misc. Peripherals thread you can get a wrench turtle with the IC2 Wrench, BC Wrench, or RC Crowbar and regardless of what you use it will act like all the wrenches it knows of. I seem to recall seeing something with a crescent hammer somewhere (which is what you're talking about I think), but I can't seem to find it in that thread.

I suspected that was the case with NEI and I'm happy with that too, just that I did try with the crowbar and it's not letting me craft it. I was using the thread you linked as a guide in the first place.

edit> just tried with a bronze wrench, that's not working either. Maybe I'm being dumb, but I should just be able to put one of these tools next to a turtle in a crafting bench for it to show up, right?

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
I suspected that was the case with NEI and I'm happy with that too, just that I did try with the crowbar and it's not letting me craft it. I was using the thread you linked as a guide in the first place.

Maybe try the IC2 wrench. The crafting instructions are probably a priority system. So, since you don't have UE but do have IC2 you'd craft it with the IC2 wrench.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
The repair enchant uses Vis from the local Aura to repair tools. Using Vis can cause Flux, which in turn can cause a whole bunch of headaches. Or excitement, depending on how bored you are :p

As someone that runs around with repair and charging on pretty much everything the amount of flux is nothing to worry about. Really you rarely do that much work to pull that much vis out of the local node. I've sat down and murdered a ton of redwoods with my repairing ax of stream and only hovered around minimal the whole time. You will create more flux making the darn thing they use it. It is because it ticks only a few vis at a time and that refills quickly unlike say the alter which you can pull hundreds of vis out with or the arcane bore which just murders things.

tabs

Jul 29, 2019
UQxXQyp.png

The only object in that inventory that I can craft with the turtle is something called the MFFS(Wrench) which gives me an MFFS turtle.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe try the IC2 wrench. The crafting instructions are probably a priority system. So, since you don't have UE but do have IC2 you'd craft it with the IC2 wrench.

there are two bronze wrenches. one that uses 4 bronze and one that uses 6 bronze. I believe it is the IC2 wrench the 6 bronze one that is needed for the wrench turtle.