Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
That's exactly what I'm saying! :) Ore doubling at minimum, ore tripling when Dark Steel Balls are involved.

I believe they do have to be powered via conduits or other RF carrying channels - the only wireless thing that works on them is the Draconic Wireless Energy Transceiver (which if you've got some draconium and ender pearls lying about isn't too expensive).

As a matter of fact, I believe I do have enough draconium! And I believe I have about 26 thousand ender pearls, so we're good there! lol.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
As a matter of fact, I believe I do have enough draconium! And I believe I have about 26 thousand ender pearls, so we're good there! lol.
Excellent! You might even want to look into going straight to the Advanced Tier in that case - you'll need some Nether Stars, but it is a pretty fair upgrade. And the wireless transceiver is really nifty - just needs to be linked to machines with a "wand" thing, and you're good to go!

Reactions: Drbretto

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Once I connect a corridor of reinforced obsidian with mod grinder fans to pump the wither into my already established loot x mob grinding device, it should be raining nether stars, too. I need to really get cracking on energy storage, though. All I have right now is a single 5 mil capacitor bank connected to 2 128/t solar panels. I've got work to do. Somebody pull the fire alarm or give me the flu so I can go home!

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Once I connect a corridor of reinforced obsidian with mod grinder fans to pump the wither into my already established loot x mob grinding device, it should be raining nether stars, too. I need to really get cracking on energy storage, though. All I have right now is a single 5 mil capacitor bank connected to 2 128/t solar panels. I've got work to do. Somebody pull the fire alarm or give me the flu so I can go home!
Ah nice! I'd love to see pics when you've got that set up as I've been contemplating something similar. I've been wondering whether the Actually Additions Phantom Placers could work for placing the skulls - they might be tricky...

EDIT: Also - dude, you need to get on the Draconic Energy Storage Multiblock! :) even the basic tier holds more than that - if these figures are still accurate, T1 holds 45.5 million RF, and T2 holds 273 million!

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Pics?? Have you seen my stuff? You're more likely to get a full-on 360 degree VR youtube video with shaders than pics! lol But, yes, there will be a video in my showcase for every step, including this. I have been looking up draconic evolution stuff. I've never made anything from it yet. I advanced so damn fast over my last couple of playthroughs that I wasn't expecting to be at that stage yet. I will definitely get going on that multiblock storage at least. I have a *really* cool idea for the location where I'm going to put it, but you're gonna have to wait for that video when it comes out!

I'm still designing the Wither thing in my head. I have an idea for it. It's going to take a little bit of testing, but I think I can make this work. Only thing I need to worry about is whether or not I'll need to use a system of sticky pistons to move fans in and out of blast range. This would have been a complete breeze on my old 1.7.10 custom pack because openblocks fans work through walls and can go in any direction, but I think I can jury rig something. Placing skulls, as you say, could well be tricky as well, but I think as long as sticky pistons can move the reinforced obsidian, I can rig something up that will work. I tend to not look up other people's work though, so it may well be a mess, lol

Worst case, I'll have it set up so you have to place them manually. The goal here is really to take advantage of the loot X so I get like 5-8 stars per kill. Again, this still relies on sticky pistons working on the reinforced obsidian. If they can't move it, then I'll have to improvise something semi manual.

Good lord, I need a week off now.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Pics?? Have you seen my stuff? You're more likely to get a full-on 360 degree VR youtube video with shaders than pics! lol But, yes, there will be a video in my showcase for every step, including this. I have been looking up draconic evolution stuff. I've never made anything from it yet. I advanced so damn fast over my last couple of playthroughs that I wasn't expecting to be at that stage yet. I will definitely get going on that multiblock storage at least. I have a *really* cool idea for the location where I'm going to put it, but you're gonna have to wait for that video when it comes out!

I'm still designing the Wither thing in my head. I have an idea for it. It's going to take a little bit of testing, but I think I can make this work. Only thing I need to worry about is whether or not I'll need to use a system of sticky pistons to move fans in and out of blast range. This would have been a complete breeze on my old 1.7.10 custom pack because openblocks fans work through walls and can go in any direction, but I think I can jury rig something. Placing skulls, as you say, could well be tricky as well, but I think as long as sticky pistons can move the reinforced obsidian, I can rig something up that will work. I tend to not look up other people's work though, so it may well be a mess, lol

Worst case, I'll have it set up so you have to place them manually. The goal here is really to take advantage of the loot X so I get like 5-8 stars per kill. Again, this still relies on sticky pistons working on the reinforced obsidian. If they can't move it, then I'll have to improvise something semi manual.
Heh - good point!

I had a couple of thoughts on it; if the phantom placers did work it would be fine, as they could then rest behind the blast-proof wall, and the blocks would just appear in mid air inside the protected space - that would protect the placing side of things. The pushing though, that is tricky... I think my initial thought had been to scoot a wither along as it was spawning, using the Dark Utilities Vector plates, but that still doesn't solve the issue of what happens when it booms into life! If the pistons don't work, could you improvise using block breaker and block placer combo, with the reinforced obsidian going between one and the other?

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Actually, if I can scoot it along while it's getting redy to explode, this whole thing is already game over. The Wither won't spawn inside a claimed chunk because that chunk won't let the entity destroy the blocks its made out of. But, if I could turn it into an entity , i can EASILY set up an array or mob fans that will push it right into the protected area. But that feels a little bit cheaty.

The rest is going to depend on how the fans work. These can be blocked by blocks now, but I'm thinking if I take an extra-wide upgrade, I can use a piston (or block breaker/place combo as you offer) to pull out a block under the path, like this:

Side view:
Code:
   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXMMMMMMMMM
   XW                                  M
 FX W                              H   M
  |XW                              G   M
  pXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXMMMMMMMMM
          P-X     P-X
            F       F
            P       P

X = reinforced obsidian
W = Wither
F = Upgraded fan
P =piston
| or - = Piston's... erm.. piston, lol
M = Existing (protected) mob grinding room
G = Grinder w/ Loot X
H = Hopper connected to ender storage

That's the general Idea, anyway. I could piston in the blast proof blocks, then switch in the fans. I'm hoping the wide-birth fans on the flooring will extend over the tunnel floor. And if I'm using fans, I don't need a door or anything, as it'll push anything into the mob grinding room for death-making.

InThayne

Oct 14, 2013
Back in the olden days we used to use a vertical spawning setup for withers and let gravity take them from spawn point to blast room. :)
Been awhile since I've played, but what/who/where is loot x?

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Back in the olden days we used to use a vertical spawning setup for withers and let gravity take them from spawn point to blast room. :)
Been awhile since I've played, but what/who/where is loot x?

I didn't even think of gravity, lol. Always overthinking this stuff.

There's a new mod in Beyond that is a re-take on the openblocks parts you'd use in a mob grinder. Fittingly called mob grinding utils. You can see one in action about 45 seconds into this video (this is the actual mob grinding room I'll be pushing things into) :

It's the spinny grindy thing in the middle. It's upgradeable, and one of the upgrades (and really the only useful one) is Looting. You can stack up to 10, and I've tested it and it literally gives you the equivalent of Loot X. Combined with the cursed earth, it generates loot at an insane pace, collecting the aformentioned 26,000 ender pearls in about a week and a half. All I need to do is push the wither into that room and it should drop 5-8 or so stars per kill.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Actual simple question again: Is there anything in Beyond worth using a dragon egg on besides the Sun Dial? I kinda want to make one cause I think it'd be cool, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
Purple slime for the knightslime is semi rare, and I would rather use my first one for an expander for my hammer :)
Also, Slime Crystals (green that is) is so cheap. No use of fuel to smelt, no Iron used, no problem :)
its semi rare ? even when u can find ponds of liquid purple slime in 1 type of slime island

Actual simple question again: Is there anything in Beyond worth using a dragon egg on besides the Sun Dial? I kinda want to make one cause I think it'd be cool, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.
check woot theres something there that might be interesting

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Thank you for the direction. I shall look.

You can get more, right? draconic evolution looks like it let's you respawn it, but I don't know if that gets you another egg or not.

What I came here to ask, tesseracts are in 1.10, right? I've actually never used one, but I need to prep for a large build, and that build might require some energy travel.

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you for the direction. I shall look.

What I came here to ask, tesseracts are in 1.10, right? I've actually never used one, but I need to prep for a large build, and that build might require some energy travel.

Nope, but these exist: http://ftb.gamepedia.com/Dimensional_Transceiver

edit: If you only want energy travel then power cells from RF Tools will do just that.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Cool cool. That looks like pretty much exactly the same thing!

Yes, just energy, at least for now. I'll look into the RF tools option, but I'll probably just stick with the EnderIO option out of familiarity, laziness and for future proofing!

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
Is there an easy way to tell if I'm using the correct graphics card? I think I have nvidia set to default, for modded minecraft, but I want to check. I cannot disable my integrated graphics because 1 program I use does not work with my graphics card.

Edit: Oh looks like it is shown when f3 is pressed. Thanks botania!

Last edited:

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Thanks @GamerwithnoGame

Because, yeah, I have been doing ores wrong my entire life. OMG this is crazy. Not that it totally matters because apparently the chunk loading from FTB Utilities keeps my solar powered quarry running when I'm not there. So, I logged in today with all of the everything.

I'm still going to automate the SAG mill on principle. But I can't even comprehend how much stuff I'm going to have in like a week. I'm running the quarry at probably 10% efficiency. 256/tick, only in the day. On top of the SAG mill, I could probably RF Tools swap out one on my mountains with solid gold blocks.

Last edited:

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I got that wireless crystal made. I can connect it with all my devices and that appears to be working fine, but I can't get it to take a charge. What am I missing here? I've tried (obviously not) everything.

It almost looks like it should be something about the screen that opens up when you right click with an empty hand. I see the list of connected devices, and I set the side it's connecting it to the capacitor bank to output. Tried every side of the solar panels. No matter what, it's set to output on the crystal. If I click it, it says identify or unlink, that's it.

Last edited:

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Craft a linking card. Use it on an inventory space in its GUI on all the cells that you want to share power between.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I am not seeing anything with linking or card in NEI. I'm lost here.

It seems to be linked to the devices. It's got lasers connecting them, and this all should be compatible because it tells me when a block, or even a side if a block, won't work. I just need to turn one of them into an input instead of an output. Preferably my capacitor bank. It connects, but it won't accept the charge.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I got that wireless crystal made. I can connect it with all my devices and that appears to be working fine, but I can't get it to take a charge. What am I missing here? I've tried (obviously not) everything.

It almost looks like it should be something about the screen that opens up when you right click with an empty hand. I see the list of connected devices, and I set the side it's connecting it to the capacitor bank to output. Tried every side of the solar panels. No matter what, it's set to output on the crystal. If I click it, it says identify or unlink, that's it.
Hmm that's troubling - just to double check, is it the Wireless Energy Transceiver from DE you've made, and you've used the crystal binder to bind it to your machines and... oh! I think I know! You can only put power into it from another crystal, so you'll need a link either from an Energy Relay which then is connected further down the line to a Energy Transceiver, or directly to an Energy Transceiver.

The latter will need to be set into the right mode as well, they can be Output, Input or Balance, and if memory serves, which is which is a bit counterintuitive.

Basically, you'll need your capacitor bank with an Energy Transceiver on the side and that side of the bank set to output - that Transceiver is then linked with the Crystal Binder to an Energy Relay (presumably, if you're going a distance, you'll have a few of those between the bank and your Wireless Energy Transceiver), then the final Energy Relay is linked to your Wireless Energy Transceiver. That should work!