Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

PokeMaserJ

Jul 29, 2019
Updating it made it worse...

Attachments

• What the Heck.png
    What the Heck.png
    110.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 2015-03-23_13.25.44.png
    2015-03-23_13.25.44.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 74

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Updating it made it worse...
Well. That is a whole new brand of weird. I HIGHLY suggest you jump on the FTB IRC on Esper for some real time help. If you don't use IRC, then just click this and log on and explain the problem, and provided you are polite, you will likely get help very quickly.

PokeMaserJ

Jul 29, 2019
Well. That is a whole new brand of weird. I HIGHLY suggest you jump on the FTB IRC on Esper for some real time help. If you don't use IRC, then just click this and log on and explain the problem, and provided you are polite, you will likely get help very quickly.
thank you very much, will do!

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for all the answers! Awesome community :)

I have another question, I've never been a base builder guy, always in the wild in Vanilla (bed in the grass) all lighted up with chests sorted but in the wild with no roof xD, How I start managing a base? What should be an efficient place? Maybe a mountain?

Personally I like to find a Natura Redwood and hollow it out. The largest, barring two trees spawning too close to each other, is 13 blocks in diameter. Assuming you hollow out 1 level at 3 blocks high you can get just over 4 stacks of wood resources.

If you build your door out of the bark blocks you won't have to worry about Mobs pounding on it. One of the traits of a redwood bark door is called "secret"... Mobs don't perceive it as a door.

If you need more room you can go either up in levels or down. Upwards will eventually get smaller as the tree tapers to a "point" at the top. I usually go downwards to the lowest root level (about y=50) and build utility rooms as needed and start my mining operations.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Forestry Butterflies... ugh I play on an Infinity server but I didn't check in for about a week. Chunk loader running the whole time of course, so my Forestry Chestnut trees would keep producing (need the Seed Oil for bees). When I logged on, I found my yard was covered in Butterflies, at least 100 of them everywhere. I cut down all the trees to make them stop spawning. I'm starting to worry about server lag from the darn things!

What's the best way to prevent this or minimize the butterflies? Grow my trees in a glass-enclosed building? At least that way they won't go everywhere, including inside my house... right? Or would they still spawn outside? Do they need a leaf block to spawn, initially? How long til all these things are gone for good? They do seem to despawn because I find Chestnut Pollen lying on the ground when they do. Can they be killed? My sword doesn't seem to affect them.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Forestry Butterflies... ugh I play on an Infinity server but I didn't check in for about a week. Chunk loader running the whole time of course, so my Forestry Chestnut trees would keep producing (need the Seed Oil for bees). When I logged on, I found my yard was covered in Butterflies, at least 100 of them everywhere. I cut down all the trees to make them stop spawning. I'm starting to worry about server lag from the darn things!

What's the best way to prevent this or minimize the butterflies? Grow my trees in a glass-enclosed building? At least that way they won't go everywhere, including inside my house... right? Or would they still spawn outside? Do they need a leaf block to spawn, initially? How long til all these things are gone for good? They do seem to despawn because I find Chestnut Pollen lying on the ground when they do. Can they be killed? My sword doesn't seem to affect them.
In previous versions I believe they had a random chance of spawning whenever there were Forestry/Extratrees present. I think there was a max density setting by default to make sure there were never too many of them though. Not sure, maybe look up the configs.

It was possible to kill them, though they had a lot of health or armour. But I usually found that they got themselves glitched into walls and died off eventually anyway. But on certain worlds there were always a small group of them hanging out just outside chunkloader range or on the other side of mystcraft portals :p

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013

If you do enclose your tree farm in glass to contain them, they will pollenate the trees- and quite quickly, at that. This doesn't help if you're trying to mass-produce chestnuts, of course, but if you're breeding the trees, butterflies can get a lot of work done very quickly if there's enough of them.

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
1 - Playing Material energy 4 and the minechem chemistry book. I put it and a item in the microscope. It adds it to the book, but when i select what i want to make and put it in the synthesizer nothing shows up. Anyone know how to fix this?

If i want to keep 1 stack of 4 diff items in the synthesizer how can i go about this?

Last edited:

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014

They are indeed killable, and I've known servers to change configs to prevent spawning of the annoying things. (No I don't like the forestry butterflies, the only thing they do is done better by bees in my opinion). My personal favourite tool for butterfly removal is Thaumcraft's wand focus shock, give it a few potency upgrades (and possibly Fork) and you got yourself a Butterfly killing machine.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
FTBInfinity, ExtraTiC, and ProjectRed. I saw a post back in August suggesting that the dev for ExtraTiC was going to include the ProjectRed gems as valid tool crafting material. I checked NEI this morning (don't have a part builder yet because....badwrongfun?) but didn't see any of the gems as possible parts. Can anyone confirm if you can make a, ferex, sapphire lumber axe?

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
In previous versions I believe they had a random chance of spawning whenever there were Forestry/Extratrees present. I think there was a max density setting by default to make sure there were never too many of them though. Not sure, maybe look up the configs.

It was possible to kill them, though they had a lot of health or armour. But I usually found that they got themselves glitched into walls and died off eventually anyway. But on certain worlds there were always a small group of them hanging out just outside chunkloader range or on the other side of mystcraft portals :p

They are indeed killable, and I've known servers to change configs to prevent spawning of the annoying things. (No I don't like the forestry butterflies, the only thing they do is done better by bees in my opinion). My personal favourite tool for butterfly removal is Thaumcraft's wand focus shock, give it a few potency upgrades (and possibly Fork) and you got yourself a Butterfly killing machine.

Every time I swing my sword at a Butterfly, I can see particle effects because my sword is actually impacting the block below/behind them. It's as if the sword doesn't even know the butterfly is there. Not sure I'll ever get to having the Thaumcraft wands tho, I don't have the patience or motivation to go thru all the TC research for the umpteenth time. They really should keep track of TC research in some kind of player metadata so that when you start yet another modpack you don't have to go thru the whole routine yet again. LOL

Thx for replies, I think they'll all disappear on their own if I give it enough time. I think I have enough chestnuts and seed oil for the next 100 years. LOL Now I just need to find the motivation to complete the bee tree for the umpteenth time (and I'm still not sure that I do).

I think I'll ask the server operator to look into changing the configs to keep butterflies to a minimum. Like most things in Minecraft, they're really cool to see the first time you see em... but after the hundredth time, it isn't quite so cool anymore.

ZeCowMan

Jul 29, 2019
did you try actually making it or just looking in NEI? I've heard it's just an NEI problem but i could be wrong

It was actually using 16 gold per chip. The strange thing now is that the recipe has changed back but I didn't update the pack/mods or touch any of the configs. It just kind of fixed itself.. It's a bit odd. xD

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Every time I swing my sword at a Butterfly, I can see particle effects because my sword is actually impacting the block below/behind them. It's as if the sword doesn't even know the butterfly is there. Not sure I'll ever get to having the Thaumcraft wands tho, I don't have the patience or motivation to go thru all the TC research for the umpteenth time. They really should keep track of TC research in some kind of player metadata so that when you start yet another modpack you don't have to go thru the whole routine yet again. LOL

Thx for replies, I think they'll all disappear on their own if I give it enough time. I think I have enough chestnuts and seed oil for the next 100 years. LOL Now I just need to find the motivation to complete the bee tree for the umpteenth time (and I'm still not sure that I do).

I think I'll ask the server operator to look into changing the configs to keep butterflies to a minimum. Like most things in Minecraft, they're really cool to see the first time you see em... but after the hundredth time, it isn't quite so cool anymore.
The butterflys are small, and hard to hit with much. This is why wand focus shock is my favourite butterfly exterminator... It doesn't miss.

Rathengar

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a webpage or another simpel way to find out if a mod i would like to install fits together with the infinity 1.7.1 server i am running please ?

I for one would like rotary craft , well basicly because of the weapon turrets to defend with (so any mods with that would do). But i dont know if it will break anything. I am dont have any info about servers, beside from how to install em and turn mods off/on and start em :p

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a webpage or another simpel way to find out if a mod i would like to install fits together with the infinity 1.7.1 server i am running please ?

I for one would like rotary craft , well basicly because of the weapon turrets to defend with (so any mods with that would do). But i dont know if it will break anything. I am dont have any info about servers, beside from how to install em and turn mods off/on and start em :p
It shouldn't break anything, but if it does you can always post a crashlog and we can help you figure out why it doesn't work. Just make sure if you add RotaryCraft to add DragonAPI :)