Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
I'm starting into FTB (I've choosen Infinity), How do I do to not get lost? Any good tutorial recommended?
Take it slow and steady in my opinion, don't rush, espically as you've chosen a massive monster of a modpack. As for starting mods here are a few I'd recommend, in no particular order:

-Botania:
Pros: The Soujoner's Sash is pretty early game botania, and allows you to get around quicker. The Exoflame can let you power a furnace with Mana (it even makes the furnace slightly quicker), and the Agricarnation can speed up crop growth. Manasteel armor, assuming you carry around a mana tablet with mana on it (or the ring versions) is a very effective early game armor. It's a very fun mod (imo)
Cons: It can be fairly slow to start off, as Dayblooms and Nightshades are fairly slow at making mana. This hurdle is largely overcome when you gain access to Mana and Runes. It also doesn't provide a way to increase the value of the ore you mine.

-Tinker's construct:
Pros: Very Potent and Customizable Tools. A fairly early game way to double ores. Is fairly easy to do alongside another mod.
Cons: It only really offers tools. The smeltery requires both Clay to make, and Lava to fuel, both of which can be a little difficult to get alot of in the early game.

-Thermal Expansion + Thermal Dynamics or Ender IO
(Yes I bundle these together more due to them being very similar in Pros and Cons. If starting out I'd likely stick to one side or the other, early game they pretty much identical aside from how you get the ducts/Conduits. Thermal Expansion's machines, fully upgraded, tend to be faster than Ender IOs, but Ender IO doesn't ask you to exchange side products for speed. Alloys are generally also easier to make with the Ender IO Alloy Smelter rather than TE's natrual method for it's own alloys (Predominatly Signalium and Enderium here.))
Pros: Very Plug and Playable. Fairly simple Ore Doubling. Upgradeable machines. A vast array of options to generate power.
Cons: (Ender IO only: Conduits need power to make, meaning you either need to place the alloy smeltery next to power gen temporairly, or use another power transport.) Can take time to find the materials needed.

Reactions: Tw0

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I second watching Direwolf20's "Let's PLay"s. In fact, if you have the room you might want to also download the DW20 pack and play along.

One of the side benefits is that you can really get your hands on since he uploads his world every 10th episode and you can download it to play with the latest stuff he built.

The configs for DW20 and Infinity are close enough that you can nearly 100% duplicate what you learn in DW20, unless the needed mod is missing. This is possible since Infinity is an attempt to closely duplicate an older style pack and DW20 contains mods that didn't exist in the older pack.

[Edit] This is only page 999 for me... :D

Luminary

Jul 29, 2019
I'm starting into FTB (I've choosen Infinity), How do I do to not get lost? Any good tutorial recommended?
There aaaare other private and public packs that have HQM (Hardcore Questing Mod) support. A lot of them have questlines that will guide you through mods and hold your hand, at least a bit, if you're new to a lot of said mods.

Barring that, always remember that the 'R' and 'U' keys in NEI (in your inventory) are your friends. They tell you how to craft and item and what it's used to craft respectively. I think most of us couldn't live without it now.

ZeCowMan

Jul 29, 2019
Are there any good pipe/sorting mods that have an interface that allows you to access all of your items through an interface aside from Logistic Pipes and Applied Energistics?

*edit* I'm using Infinity 1.7

Tw0

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for all the answers! Awesome community :)

I have another question, I've never been a base builder guy, always in the wild in Vanilla (bed in the grass) all lighted up with chests sorted but in the wild with no roof xD, How I start managing a base? What should be an efficient place? Maybe a mountain?

Last edited:

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014

I have another question, I've never been a base builder guy, always in the wild in Vanilla (bed in the grass) all lighted up with chests sorted but in the wild with no roof xD, How I start managing a base? What should be an efficient place? Maybe a mountain?

That is something noone can tell you this is the way to set up a base. Each person has their own style, and what works for one, might not for another.

To use the Direwolf example, he tends to build his (in?)famous 9x9 houses to live in. My own early houses are often simple holes in the ground hollowed out. They very often end up as a basement to my actual home when I get round to actually building it. Experiment and find out what works for you.

EDIT: You might want to look in the community showcase for ideas too. @rhn is someone i occasionally take inspiration off of. (Worth seeing his thread anyhow, his builds are awsome :p)

splashblue

Jul 29, 2019

This is pretty much up to you.

I like places where I have everything in reasonable range (good source of wood, water, different biomes for biome dependant stuff). But mostly it's just randomly searching for a place that looks nice and inspires me :)

PokeMaserJ

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone know what this means?
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x000000005986bcad, pid=5432,

tid=5156
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (7.0_71-b14) (build 1.7.0_71-b14)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (24.71-b01 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed

oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C [atio6axx.dll+0x131bcad]
#
# Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# C:\Users\Jamer315\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\hs_err_pid5432.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
# http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#
AL lib: (EE) alc_cleanup: 1 device not closed

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
#

tid=5156
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (7.0_71-b14) (build 1.7.0_71-b14)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (24.71-b01 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed

oops)
# Problematic frame:
#
# Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows
#
#
#
looks like a display driver crash is your gfx card drivers upto date?

ZeCowMan

Jul 29, 2019
It feels like Botania's the answer to every second question/discussion posted here. I still like the mod :p

I guess I'm the odd man out here. I've never really been a big fan of Botania. I might need to give it another chance.

Anywho.. Is that really all for good item management? Do Ender IO or Extra Utilities have some sort of interface for its sorting system? I really just don't want to use Applied Energistics again because I always end up using it. I'm leaning towards Logistics currently.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
#

tid=5156
#

oops)
# Problematic frame:
#
#
#
#
Sadly I get this exact error when trying to play a specific server instance of Infitech2. I've never been able to narrow down the exact mods that aren't playing nicely with my video card.

I'm guessing you're using an AMD video card. Probably (hopefully) a 78xx series Radeon. I spent weeks with AMD support trying to get this resolved with no luck.

Other people have had success either upgrading or downgrading their drivers. I have not.

The issue does not persist every time: sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't.

PokeMaserJ

Jul 29, 2019
Sadly I get this exact error when trying to play a specific server instance of Infitech2. I've never been able to narrow down the exact mods that aren't playing nicely with my video card.

I'm guessing you're using an AMD video card. Probably (hopefully) a 78xx series Radeon. I spent weeks with AMD support trying to get this resolved with no luck.

Other people have had success either upgrading or downgrading their drivers. I have not.

The issue does not persist every time: sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't.
well... poo. This was a fresh world. Last two times I played on a world, got some VERY weird things happening
First block breaking animations would stop, items in my inventory started to turn invisible, then liquids, then pretty much every block, a ThaumCraft obelisk stayed "rendered"

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
well... poo. This was a fresh world. Last two times I played on a world, got some VERY weird things happening
First block breaking animations would stop, items in my inventory started to turn invisible, then liquids, then pretty much every block, a ThaumCraft obelisk stayed "rendered"
Your problem sounds a bit more severe than mine.

I strongly recommend you jaunt over to http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

I gather you're not super technical with driver updates, so I recommend you simply do the whole "automatically detect and update your drivers" solution.

ZeCowMan

Jul 29, 2019
Don't know. How would I be able to tell?

You can find it by going to control panel>system>device manager>display adapters, right clicking on your video card and going to properties then to the driver tab. You can also use a utility like GPU-Z which will tell you the driver version and a lot more information which is pretty useful. To check for the most recent drivers for your video card, google nvidia or AMD drivers and one of the top links should send you where you can check/download the most recent version.