Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
My main complaint (and it's more of an opinion than anything) was that it didn't seem to make sense that I could build the dialer and teleporter out of wood planks, wood slabs and a few iron ingots. I felt like I should be stuck in the dimension for years, until I had the means to build what should be very complicated machines (but they weren't). But I guess I take things to literally sometimes. Just my 2 cent opinion (all that it's really worth).
This isn't an unprecedented concern. I imagine @McJty has been giving it some thought.

Its one of those things where mechanics is the critical and interesting thing to work on, whereas recipes can be revised at any time and who cares :)

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Is development of Mystcraft and development of these new "Dimlets" related in any way? Sorry I don't know which mod Dimlets come from (edit: it's RFTools mod) but I'm seeing them in new modpacks. Specifically I briefly played the beginning of the 3rd-party pack "Pathfinder" yesterday, and Dimlets are featured prominently in the very first quests, as is "dimension building". As I read thru the manual (the in-game book you receive), I couldn't help but notice how it seemed like an exact copy of Mystcraft, except instead of pages, they're using these dimlet things. Just curious if the developer is the same people or something like that. If not, there's an awful lot of copying of ideas goin' on!

Yeah, I know! I added it to my personal pack a while back hoping for a different take on the whole custom dimension thing but its almost exactly the same.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I guess it's not easy to make two mods that do the same thing appear totally different. But dimlets seem exactly analagous to pages, and the dimension builder process seems exactly analagous to the book binding process. The addition of an RF cost is certainly a good thing in my opinion, but the core mechanics seems literally identical to mystcraft's. My main complaint (and it's more of an opinion than anything) was that it didn't seem to make sense that I could build the dialer and teleporter out of wood planks, wood slabs and a few iron ingots. I felt like I should be stuck in the dimension for years, until I had the means to build what should be very complicated machines (but they weren't). But I guess I take things to literally sometimes. Just my 2 cent opinion (all that it's really worth).

That's a pathfinder thing. The real recipe in rftools is much harder :)

Reactions: Pyure

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Is development of Mystcraft and development of these new "Dimlets" related in any way? Sorry I don't know which mod Dimlets come from (edit: it's RFTools mod) but I'm seeing them in new modpacks. Specifically I briefly played the beginning of the 3rd-party pack "Pathfinder" yesterday, and Dimlets are featured prominently in the very first quests, as is "dimension building". As I read thru the manual (the in-game book you receive), I couldn't help but notice how it seemed like an exact copy of Mystcraft, except instead of pages, they're using these dimlet things. Just curious if the developer is the same people or something like that. If not, there's an awful lot of copying of ideas goin' on!

I'm the developer of RFTools and I didn't make Mystcraft :)

The basic idea of constructing dimensions may be similar, there are some fundamental differences between rftools and mystcraft:

• Balancing: Mystcraft uses instability to balance OP worlds. RFTools uses power.
  • Exploration: in RFTools you can make basic void worlds without having to explore and go look for that 'void' page (which I eventually had to cheat in after creating more then 33 dimensions on my main play). In fact with RFTools you can craft all dimlets needed to get rid of all random features. So it is more deterministic in that sense. In Mystcraft it may take a while before you find all the pages needed for removing all randomness.
  • Features: there are some differences in features which have to do with the fact that Mystcraft is tied to the 'Myst' story while RFTools has no such limitations. For example in RFTools you can make dimensions where some mobs spawn (like villagers, iron golems, ...).
  • The feel of RFTools is tech while the feel of Mystcraft is more magic/mystic.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
To be fair, Myst has a natural element of probability manipulation--it was described as that if you knew the Art, you could modify a Book and the changes would be right where you made them in that world.

I blame the Bahro.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
So apparently shaft junctions now detect when you line up dozens of engines and chain them together and spontaneously break themselves.

1. How many engines can I string together without this happening?

and

2. Can they still detect this if I have multiple rows of legit numbers of engines separated by like gearboxes or bevel gears or whatnot?

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
4, unless you using bedrock reinforced shaft junctions.

EDIT: And i believe this tracks back along all paths.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
4, unless you using bedrock reinforced shaft junctions.

EDIT: And i believe this tracks back along all paths.
Aye. Also, note that for the purposes of shaft junctions, daisy-chained hydrokinetics do NOT count as a single engine; attempting to junction together a 4-chain of hydros and one extra will cause a non-bedrocked junction to fail. To bedrock a junction, right-click it with a 2x bedrock gear unit. One final thing: the latest versions of ElectriCraft can't be used to circumvent this limit, anymore.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any functional difference between vanilla seeds/wheat and natura barley?

Some mods only use wheat and/or its seeds for certain recipes, but I can't really think of any difference beyond that. The bread you get from barley is vanilla bread, so it can be used normally.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Is there any functional difference between vanilla seeds/wheat and natura barley?
There is/was a problem with some automated farming solutions(I dont remember what it was, perhaps golems?) that didnt recognise the mature state of barley properly. Could have been fixed.

I have also noticed that Barley can be used to manually breed cows, sheep etc. but it will not attract them, they simply stand still doing their business until 2 of them are fed. This can be greatly advantageous in some situations.

Reactions: JunpakuKarasu

einsteinsci

Jul 29, 2019
The spatial io dimension is like any other dimension but only so big. if chunk loaded it will allow plants to grow. If not then its like a mystcraft world it becomes unloaded and everything stops until reloaded.

OK; that's good to know. Thanks.

kleshas

Jul 29, 2019
They are exU pipes, yes. Nice trick with the glowstone :).
I was asking about the potential lag, but it doesn't matter - I'm using the new itemducts now.
Now I have issues with itemducts on Infinity. They pull from a chest, go past a largish bank of JABBA barrels and then end up in another chest if the barrels don't accept anything. Even though I have available barrels for the cobble and dirt (they have void upgrades in them and are full), about 5% (ish?) bypasses the barrel and ends up in the chest at the end of the itemduct line. The last itemduct is a dense one so I really don't see how some of the stacks of items miss their barrel. (I've watched the items in the ducts, most go into the barrel, but some don't, so I know the items aren't coming from somewhere else)

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Now I have issues with itemducts on Infinity. They pull from a chest, go past a largish bank of JABBA barrels and then end up in another chest if the barrels don't accept anything. Even though I have available barrels for the cobble and dirt (they have void upgrades in them and are full), about 5% (ish?) bypasses the barrel and ends up in the chest at the end of the itemduct line. The last itemduct is a dense one so I really don't see how some of the stacks of items miss their barrel. (I've watched the items in the ducts, most go into the barrel, but some don't, so I know the items aren't coming from somewhere else)
If I were guessing, I'd guess that when that happens, the servo thinks that the barrel is full, so it sends items to your default route chest when it thinks there are enough items in transit to fill the barrel. You should be able to fix that by putting signalum (I think? Electrum might work; not sure) filters on the barrels and clicking the "Prevent Oversending" button in the filter's GUI. The signalum servo might also be able to do that without needing a filter on every single barrel; not sure.

RazielTheFallen

Jul 29, 2019
hi there,
playing Agrarian Skies 3.1.4

1. Ender Lilies, did they need sunlight?
1.1. i plan to make an ender-lily-farm with MFR. i tested harvesting them - it works, but works planting (with Planter) also?
2. where i can let spawn Wolf's. i guess Taiga, Grass-Block in Taiga-Biome, right?