Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

abobabo

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm... Now that you're talking about timing, you might be able to pull of a system where a retrieving golem attached to whatever you want to output potions to is locked behind a piston arm for 20 seconds while the potion cooks. Could be more compact and reliable than making the stand a 20-second walk from the golem's home position, and would eliminate (some of) the 20-second walk back. The timing would be easiest to pull of with ProjectRed, but could be done in Vanilla.
Thing is, if I had to make a vanilla timer, I could just tie it to a hopper beneath it. The vanilla timer is the big part of an automatic brewery, the brewery module itself is only 4x3x1 big. I did however realize I had translocators, and once I had read up on them where able to construct a quite compact thingy, a 3x3x3 fully automated brewery that brews with three stands simultaneously, creating ~27 triple ingredient potions per minute (I don't use that much splash potions, so I can have a splash converter in a separate module). Only drawback is you have to manually program in each potion you want to make, but it could hold up to 9 processes at a time so I don't need to "unprogram" to change type. 9 should cover most potion needs; speed, regen, splash healing, fire res, night vision and strength are like 95% of what I use, and those are only 6.

It's also a goddamn pretty machine.

The simplest Vanilla redstone delayer is, of course, a line of repeaters. But for a 20-second delay, you'd need more than 40 repeaters on max delay. Hmm...
If you make three loops of repeaters on the shortest delay with lengths 3, 7, and 11 and send a very short pulse into all three at the same time, the three will line up every 23 seconds or so.
The simplest way to make a vanilla automated brewery is to use a hopper to supply all ingredients to a single brewing stand, letting each operation take 60 or 80 seconds (depending on splash or not) and using a hopper-timer to make that clock. It's not really hard to do, but a hopper timer for 80 seconds takes up at least something like 6x2x4, so it's hard to slot into a slim castle tower.

If it was a long time since you played vanilla, I strongly recommend you test it a weekend or so. It's really cool how much you can do in vanilla now that previously was mod only, but it takes some ingenuity which at least to me makes it fun. I also learned things that are quite easy in vanilla that is so effective I'll still use it when playing modded, such as iron farms. Those had flown right over my head when playing modded, since there's so many recipes etc to learn. Since I started playing vanilla again, I find large modpacks a bit to simple, and prefer to keep it small so I'm forced to think a bit about how to do stuff.

Now that I've thought through that, it sounds like using hoppers would be easier. Each brewing stand will need at least two hoppers- one on the side to act as a bottle buffer, and one beneath to pull potions out (not including however you're filling them with reagents- golems should work fine there).
Yes, that's the exact basis of the design. A very good design for a semiatomatic brewer, that is plenty useful even in modded minecraft, is something like this:
DH
DC
DHC
_BH

D=Dropper, H=Hopper, C=Chest = Brewery. You put a button on the dropper in the middle, fill them up bottom to top with nether wart, ingredient, modifier, and woila! press the button and you have three potions. Only 4x3x1, or 4x2x2 if you prefer that shape.

New question though: Does anyone know if you can program a translocator to draw "everything except"? My ender chest for mining has an output by translocator, and I'd like to split them between "stone/cobble" and "everything else". Right now it works so-and-so; the stone receiver has glowstone but seems only to draw 16 per tick, so about 93% goes the right way, but those 7% are annoying.

Suppressed

Jul 29, 2019
Precision export bus is what your looking for.

hm.. i cant find a new 'how to' on this.. i only know how to use the basic and fuzzy ones..
can the precision export bus read what is inside of the planter and stop export things to the planter when it has a serten amount? like one stack feks

Not sure what mods you have available but you could do translocators between the planter & an interface, use a diamond on the translocator & set both to a stack of whichever seeds you are using.

is there a how to on this?.. im kind of new at this but i will test it out when i come home. i use Direwolf20

Last edited:

Loxinnightwalker

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any kind of one button crafting system? I'm so tired of "Crap, need one more of those, what was that recipe again?"

Kind of like work tables, but maybe just operating straight from NEI? ie: The question mark button creates the item, rather than just the item.
Logistics Pipes, or Applied Energistics

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
hm.. i cant find a new 'how to' on this.. i only know how to use the basic and fuzzy ones..
can the precision export bus read what is inside of the planter and stop export things to the planter when it has a serten amount? like one stack feks

Actually just configure the planter so it doesn't consume the entire stack of what you have in it. That way it always leaves one behind. Then just use the precision export bus configured with what you want stocked in the planter.

Reactions: HeraBulldog

hisagishi

Jul 29, 2019
1:Whats the max range on a flesh golem with intelligence upgrade?
2:Any Ideas for decorations of my new build. (specifically a better looking house)

emeipkD.jpg

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
It needs to be more "cave"'y. Atm it looks like a box. Big stalagmite/tite-like pillars, the occational stream of water coming out of the ceiling. Crevasses with lava at the bottom. Or black nothingness, but that's harder to achieve.

Reactions: buggirlexpres

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
^Nothing? No ideas for wall/roof designs of the room in general?
Raise the ceiling or lower the ground and make it look more natural as dothrom suggested. Or, you could make it look more clean and manmade; like an underground bunker. If you have Chisel and Carpenter's in your modpack, use them to make a prettier house. Chisel offers a wide range of pretty blocks. You can make slopes, custom stairs, and so on with Carpenter's. Generally you want the walls to be a medium colour and the ceiling/floor light colours. However, the floor may be darker than the walls in some circumstances. But, all the colours should compliment each other. Also, you want something to break up the pattern between the floor/ceiling and the walls, like the baseboard and crown molding in real houses. Door casing is also a good idea.

types-of-moldings-types-of-molding-houston-interior-moldings-and-trim-installation-10641.jpg

HeraBulldog

Jul 29, 2019
Actually just configure the planter so it doesn't consume the entire stack of what you have in it. That way it always leaves one behind. Then just use the precision export bus configured with what you want stocked in the planter.

I dint know you could do that with a planter!! Thanx!

From smoke signals to the North

hisagishi

Jul 29, 2019
The area around it is going to be farms, pams harvestcraft needs lots of room. The building is mainly for barrels + an AE system. Does that change any suggestions? (I kinda like the houses colors tbh but I'll try out different themes)

GAsplund

Sep 4, 2014
I have a problem with my Applied Energistics ME controller, when it's unloaded (It's loaded with spot loaders, that means that the player has to not be there), it won't connect to any cable, except the conduits that provides it with power. Any help?
XDgidrQ.png

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
Don't settle for less than both!
I'm not too familiar with automating Pam's crops. If MFR works for it, you can make very compact and highly efficient farms by spamming fertilizers. Since the production is so ridiculous it will be easy to make it look nice while not compromising production.

I have a problem with my Applied Energistics ME controller, when it's unloaded (It's loaded with spot loaders), it won't connect to any cable, except the conduits that provides it with power. Any help?
If it's loaded with spot loaders why does it become unloaded?

hisagishi

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not too familiar with automating Pam's crops. If MFR works for it, you can make very compact and highly efficient farms by spamming fertilizers. Since the production is so ridiculous it will be easy to make it look nice while not compromising production.

If it's loaded with spot loaders why does it become unloaded?

Doesn't work with MFR sadly, but golems do. Might try and go for a magical underground enchanted foresty theme.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
That's because it's not possible. Precision export bus cannot do this. Translocators can do it by setting an item count limit, Factorization can do it by targetting a specific slot (see DW20's latest SP episode for a how-to), and Steve's Factory Manager can do it by slot number as well.

Reactions: Suppressed

moded guy 123

Jul 29, 2019
I'm currently playing the crash landing map and I just want to add a few quests to the quest book that have to do with agreculture because I realy like that mod and I added it into the pack but I can't add or edit a quest to give me the agreculture plants using the op quest book so how do I add/edit quests in hqm