Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

KhrFreak

Jul 29, 2019
I thought about finding a texture pack to play with but i'm not sure about a couple of things. If I downloaded one off the launcher, then would it be applied to every modpack i load up? Also, is there anyway to go back to the original textures without deleting the texture pack?
go to option, resource packs and select default to go back to regular textures

Mirality

Jul 29, 2019
I'm trying to make a mob farm with MFR grinders (DW20 v21). I have a tesseract set to receive energy and send items and fluid right behind the grinder. Items are coming through the tesseract on the other side but the mob essence isn't. If I disable fluid in the tesseract then it builds up in the grinder, and I can pump it into a fluiduct on the same side, but the tesseract just seems to delete or block the fluid. Is this a known issue and is there a fix anywhere?

(BTW I tried using tesseracts to move another fluid yesterday [same version] and had a similar problem -- the fluid never made it to the other side. At the time I just assumed I'd done something wrong and got it to work using endertanks instead. That case was fluid only though and this time I want to get all three working.)

Last edited:

chaoticsquid

Jul 29, 2019
I have a line of barrels fed by standard BC pipes, and occasionally the item doesn't go into the barrel, and ends up in the void pipe at the end, help?

Last edited:

CptSpike

Jul 29, 2019
I have a line of barrels fed by standard BC pipes, and occasionally the item doesn't go into the barrel, and ends up in the void pipe at the end, help?

Though a little more expensive, itemducts (Thermal expansion) are much easier to use and generally don't have this problem. However an insertion pipe on top of every barrel should also fix the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: chaoticsquid

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
You using the stone/cobblestone pipes or diamond pipes?
If you are using the former, those aren't reliable and will let stuffs go down the pipes instead of into the barrels. Use diamond pipes with filter to make sure they go in.
Or what CptSpike suggested, you can set the last section of the itemduct to be on dense mode so only items without a valid destination will head there.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Reactions: CptSpike

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I always used to make electrum using the "pulverise gold and silver, make dust and smelt" method rather than using the induction smelter. This time my i'm trying to make my autocrafting system use the IS for all available tasks. This becomes a problem when I try to make hardened glass and electrum for conduits and energy cells as it sends two different jobs to the induction smelter at the same time and everything gets all jumbled up.

Is there a nice solution to this rather than just going back to the indirect method I used previously?

CptSpike

Jul 29, 2019
I always used to make electrum using the "pulverise gold and silver, make dust and smelt" method rather than using the induction smelter. This time my i'm trying to make my autocrafting system use the IS for all available tasks. This becomes a problem when I try to make hardened glass and electrum for conduits and energy cells as it sends two different jobs to the induction smelter at the same time and everything gets all jumbled up.

Is there a nice solution to this rather than just going back to the indirect method I used previously?

If you have the resources, one IS per recipe. Keep it stocked with one resource permanently, then put the other in to order. Alternatively, have AE dump ingredients into a chest, then use item ducts or logi pipes to put ingredients in correct sides of IS. I always ended up doing the first option

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
If you have the resources, one IS per recipe. Keep it stocked with one resource permanently, then put the other in to order. Alternatively, have AE dump ingredients into a chest, then use item ducts or logi pipes to put ingredients in correct sides of IS. I always ended up doing the first option

Hmmm, not sure how the second option would work. It's the method I used to seperate out containers from meltable materials for my magma crucible/fluid transposer but even then it only does one job at a time.

With an IS, if I get my interface to dump everything into a chest then (for example) pull gold ingots and pulverised obsidian out of one side then silver ingots and lead ingots out of the other...I still risk getting mismatched materials.

For an overly complex solution using the chest, I could put a comparator on it, giving a redstone signal when the interface drops items into it, then run the signal through two repeaters, one to each side activating whitelisted itemducts with 2 or 3 tick delay on one of them. It's a bit messy but it might work XD

CptSpike

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm, not sure how the second option would work. It's the method I used to seperate out containers from meltable materials for my magma crucible/fluid transposer but even then it only does one job at a time.

With an IS, if I get my interface to dump everything into a chest then (for example) pull gold ingots and pulverised obsidian out of one side then silver ingots and lead ingots out of the other...I still risk getting mismatched materials.

For an overly complex solution using the chest, I could put a comparator on it, giving a redstone signal when the interface drops items into it, then run the signal through two repeaters, one to each side activating whitelisted itemducts with 2 or 3 tick delay on one of them. It's a bit messy but it might work XD

Which is why I go the whole hog and have banks of machines for dedicated recipes :D easier for me

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019

Try outputting into a chest and using itemducts to put them in the induction furnace. Or just create a pulverizer, autocraft into dusts then autocraft into blend, then autocraft into the furnace.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
I'm trying to make a mob farm with MFR grinders (DW20 v21). I have a tesseract set to receive energy and send items and fluid right behind the grinder. Items are coming through the tesseract on the other side but the mob essence isn't. If I disable fluid in the tesseract then it builds up in the grinder, and I can pump it into a fluiduct on the same side, but the tesseract just seems to delete or block the fluid. Is this a known issue and is there a fix anywhere?

(BTW I tried using tesseracts to move another fluid yesterday [same version] and had a similar problem -- the fluid never made it to the other side. At the time I just assumed I'd done something wrong and got it to work using endertanks instead. That case was fluid only though and this time I want to get all three working.)

First check if you have another tesseract pulling the liquid out. Check if they are both on the same frequency and on the good settings. Any redstone signal around? If it's all good, check the changelog for thermal expansion for that version of TE and you might want to try to update TE in your version.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
First check if you have another tesseract pulling the liquid out. Check if they are both on the same frequency and on the good settings. Any redstone signal around? If it's all good, check the changelog for thermal expansion for that version of TE and you might want to try to update TE in your version.

Also check that you don't have the fluiduct on the receiving side set to pull liquid out of the tesseract, leave it connected normally and the tess will output of its own accord. It's a simple thing but it seemed to cause trouble when I tried it before.

abobabo

Jul 29, 2019
While this is not FTB directly, I believe this would be the best place to ask since you guys seem quite knowledgeable about the mods used.

I'm playing with a very bare-bones modpack in SSP in 1.7.2. Due to the lack of updated mods, the ones I have access to right now are primarily IC2e, Buildcraft 5, and Applied Energistics 2. With no addons on any of them. Only other content mod is bibliocraft.

I'm wondering, what are your thoughts about energy generation with these mods alone? Particularly during midgame, and particularly MJ, but any "did you know?"s of hidden or underused strategies are appreciated.

For IC2 on-demand I use geothermal and standard generators, which work quite good so far. I'm planning on building a super-safe, simple nuclear generator with high efficiency and low voltage, since I'm not aiming for matter fab or teleport and more like... decent maceration speed and similar. For AE I use a setup of passive IC2 water mills (54 currently, which covers several times my need and the excess goes into a CESU for recharging my batpack).

But for MJ I'm kinda lost. I've always been able to use at the very least railcraft, and mostly forestry too, but now I don't know. Is oil/fuel worth it, considering there's no ender tanks or automatic long-distance fuel moving at all? Vanilla ender chests cannot be automated (AFAIK) so there's no options there either. And there's no chunk loaders available. Right now, I don't use much MJ; I just have 8 stirlings for my assembly table and the rest is Redstone Engines (for pumps etc).

Ideas? Or is any of the other MJ-related mods (railcraft, forestry etc) on the verge of updating to 1.7.2, and I should just hold off with anything large until they're released?

EDIT:
Is it an option to find and refine oil locally, then bottle it up in loads and loads of buckets/cells on a few mules and lead them back to base?
It seems like it still would be extremely obnoxious, but I would enjoy getting a Quarry sooner or later. I know the IC2 miner is an option, but I really have no good experience with it and it always seem to leave a bunch of mining pipes or whatever they are called down in the hole they make.

Last edited:

abobabo

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know the average rain time in minecraft, and whether rain is more/less common during the day/night?

Trying to gauge the actual average EU generation from solars.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know the average rain time in minecraft, and whether rain is more/less common during the day/night?

Trying to gauge the actual average EU generation from solars.
I think it's pretty much random; each tick there's a small chance of rain starting or stopping. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but there are several ways of making it a non-issue.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I think it's pretty much random; each tick there's a small chance of rain starting or stopping. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but there are several ways of making it a non-issue.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Pneumaticraft has a Universal Sensor that can give at least a rough idea of how soon the next rainstorm is, so I assume it's more predictable than "roll the dice every tick". All I can say from my personal experience, though, is it seemed to rain way more often if I used TooManyItems (back in the days before MC 1.2.5, when I first encountered NEI) to kill the rail as soon as it started than if I let it rain itself out.

Minecraft Wiki said:
The average rainfall lasts .5-1 days, and there is a .5 to 7.5 day delay between rainstorms.
So it rains no less than 6.25% of the time. As for an upper bound, I'll guess that it doesn't usually rain more than about 25% of the time, so you can count on your basic IC2 solar panels probably giving you at least 0.3 EU/t apiece on average, and mo more than 0.46875 EU/t, factoring in how they don't work at night.

Or, you could put them in an eternal-day, no-weather (or desert-biome) Mystcraft age and get 1.0 EU/t from each.

abobabo

Jul 29, 2019
Pneumaticraft has a Universal Sensor that can give at least a rough idea of how soon the next rainstorm is, so I assume it's more predictable than "roll the dice every tick". All I can say from my personal experience, though, is it seemed to rain way more often if I used TooManyItems (back in the days before MC 1.2.5, when I first encountered NEI) to kill the rail as soon as it started than if I let it rain itself out.

So it rains no less than 6.25% of the time. As for an upper bound, I'll guess that it doesn't usually rain more than about 25% of the time, so you can count on your basic IC2 solar panels probably giving you at least 0.3 EU/t apiece on average, and mo more than 0.46875 EU/t, factoring in how they don't work at night.

Or, you could put them in an eternal-day, no-weather (or desert-biome) Mystcraft age and get 1.0 EU/t from each.

Thanks a lot! Am playing 1.7.2, so I don't have any mystcraft (nor do I have compact solars, or railcraft, or forestry... energy is a noticable problem for me)