Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

VVRaider

Jul 29, 2019
The only answer I have to your original post is to remove the mods that interfere with it, or spawn in vanilla bedrock when needed (if you type in the vanilla ID into the /give command it will give you vanilla bedrock still even though it's not in NEI)

Ah, thank you! Spawned in it and found it was Thaumic Tinkerer doing the override, so I just disabled it for the time being.

WeaponMaster

Jul 29, 2019
My dear sir, you have a serious power demand. Do you really need that much? But to the point, I would go with mixed ways to get that amount of power. Nuke plant isn't really that efficient when it comes to high amount of EU/t, they are better at supplying lower power at longer time. Even with solars, it would take 20 HV ones...

You can mix solid fuel boilers and liquid fuel boilers to get max of a tree farms. Thus it's still a large amount of boilers, turbines and tree farms...
Well, I believe that if you are going to do something, may as well go for overkill, since anything less than needed is rather aggravating. I am probably going into using multiple different types of boilers, with some reactors thrown in.

First, a miscalculation on your part - a 36 Hp can supply two steam turbines worth of steam, not one. So you're looking at 1500-1600 EU/t from those four boilers, not 800.

Second - Biofuel. You can fuel additional boilers by converting the saplings from your tree farm into liquid fuel. There are two options for this: MFR biofuel, and Forestry ethanol. The former can be much more powerful, but it requires you to run the biofuel processor with up to 6 different kinds of plant matter at once. If you have only one kind of sapling but immense masses of it, then Forestry is likely to be more efficient.

Third - Tree breeding. Depending on what tree you currently use and what else you have available to work with (and whether or not MFR is already capable of growing Forestry trees in 1.5.x, I forget) you can massively increase the output of a tree farm in both charcoal and ethanol by getting some new species. This becomes even more pronounced if you then breed a hybrid with good traits. Though compared to just getting the species, which is easy, the hybrid breeding takes real work. That of course means you're going to need even more steam turbines...

Fourth - Tower of Power(tm). Look for a cheap to build, moderate-efficiency nuclear reactor design with 4 chambers or less, and then stack dozens of them. Try for something around efficiency 4; running at 3 will consume uranium too quickly. Also look into running a breeder to multiply your uranium yield. Also, if you are brave, you can look into CRS reactors. Using additional fuel-less reactors as external cooling towers and fully automated coolant cell cycling, they can run at higher efficiencies and output than regular, internally-cooled designs.

Fifth - Mix and match. Don't look for a single source, but rather use multiple different ones. Combine reactors and steam turbnes, and if your base wasn't underground I'd have said throw solars into the mix too. You could also set up a nether pump to supply a large bank of geothermals; fifty of them will produce another 1000 EU/t.

Finally - Gradual buildup. Don't look for 10k EU/t at once, but rather start with 2k and, once that is up and running and powering a drill and/or massfab, use the gain from that infrastructure to expand it.
Ah, thanks for correcting that error. My energy maths was accurate, meaning i would need 25 boilers to fill my demand for energy, which I think would lag the server i play on to an extreme extent.
I was planning on experimenting with the bioreactor to use ink sacs, seeds and saplings, along with a unifier to convert the purple MFR fuel into ethanol. Do you know the rate at which a bioreactor would need materials? and is there a way to keep it stocked with only 1 stack of each material? I used to use RP2 for everything, and BC pipes just don't seem to work out well for me.
Also, what are CRS reactors? I could not find any information about them on the internet.

Thanks for your assistance,
Weapioneer

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Do you know the rate at which a bioreactor would need materials? and is there a way to keep it stocked with only 1 stack of each material?
I had a single MFR farm once, not the largest size, that kept three bioreactors busy. I only bothered with 6 different input types rather than the maximum.

I've stocked a single stack of each material using Item Loaders/Unloaders cleverly (Steve's carts Railcraft, I think, they can be instructed to stock a specific amount of any number of items). The next time I do bioreactors, I want to try logistics pipes, so you could look into that as well if your modpack supports them.

Last edited:

riciJak

Jul 29, 2019
I had a single MFR farm once, not the largest size, that kept three bioreactors busy. I only bothered with 6 different input types rather than the maximum.

I've stocked a single stack of each material using Item Loaders/Unloaders cleverly (Steve's carts I think, they can be instructed to stock a specific amount of any number of items). The next time I do bioreactors, I want to try logistics pipes, so you could look into that as well if your modpack supports them.

you could also try setting 9 barrels for each items, hook each with transfer node and use a rationing pipe(will only insert a stack of each item in an inventory) and use a gate to emit a signal if there is still space in bioreactor so it will stop consuming items unless 9 different items are present.

tucker19

Jul 29, 2019
My server keeps crashing because a stackoverflow entity from Rotarycraft, anyone else running into this issue? Also in load up it says it is missing something but I did not catch it. Running Horizons 2.0.1 please help.

maserati29

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys i recently made a bacon portal gun and when i right and left click it just makes the noise and it won't make a portal. Am i doing something wrong...?

kaiomann

Jul 29, 2019
I'm interested in mod history. Lets say Thaumcraft. There is a TC4 now in 1.6, there was a TC3 already in 1.4.7. As I only joined that time, I'll assume TC2 was 1.2.5. But when was TC1? AFAIK there wasn't really any mods pre-1.2, right?

Also is there a TE1? When I joined everyone was hyping Thermal Expansion, which was actually TE2. I don't understand such hype for all new mechanics if there already was a previous version.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I believe that if you are going to do something, may as well go for overkill, since anything less than needed is rather aggravating. I am probably going into using multiple different types of boilers, with some reactors thrown in.

Ah, thanks for correcting that error. My energy maths was accurate, meaning i would need 25 boilers to fill my demand for energy, which I think would lag the server i play on to an extreme extent.
I was planning on experimenting with the bioreactor to use ink sacs, seeds and saplings, along with a unifier to convert the purple MFR fuel into ethanol. Do you know the rate at which a bioreactor would need materials? and is there a way to keep it stocked with only 1 stack of each material? I used to use RP2 for everything, and BC pipes just don't seem to work out well for me.
Also, what are CRS reactors? I could not find any information about them on the internet.

Thanks for your assistance,
Weapioneer
For what it's worth, using the "Very High Speed Breeder" can support 27 of the super simple 100EU/t 0 chamber reactors. 4 breeders will support enough reactors to get all your power. If you use breeders to extend your uranium supply and your Radioactive Bees have the Fastest Production trait, an alveary w/ 2 frames should be enough to give you a surplus of Uranium. ME automates your production reactors with exceptional ease and FZ routers make automating the breeders pretty straight forward.

Also, if lag is a concern, you really aught to consider solars, even if they are kinda boring. No other power generation method even comes close to being as lag-friendly.

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
What does the Essence Wand from Magical Crops do?

The essence wand was used only in crafting. Which you could see through NEI. However I believe that it is no longer in use, and has been phased out.

What is the mod that adds the leaf particles to all the leaves?

I know only of AM2 adding falling leaf particles to Witchwood trees and Dye Trees adding sparkles to dye trees.

Fallen Angel

Jul 29, 2019
They look exactly like falling leaves, and it happens with every tree, regardless of particles turned on or off. At least tropicraft doesn't have it, but it lags the hell out of my laptop. (Using the Horizons pack)

JarinArenos

Jul 29, 2019
DW20, Wireless Redstone (WR-CBE 1.4.0.6), how do I set the wireless spectrum? It used to just be that all I needed was some colored illumar in my inventory, but that doesn't seem to be working now.

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
The essence wand was used only in crafting. Which you could see through NEI. However I believe that it is no longer in use, and has been phased out.
Thanks.

They look exactly like falling leaves, and it happens with every tree, regardless of particles turned on or off. At least tropicraft doesn't have it, but it lags the hell out of my laptop. (Using the Horizons pack)
That is Tropicraft, as far as I know.

maserati29

Jul 29, 2019
Guys i made a bacon portal gun and it won't let me shoot the portals? Left and right clicking just makes it make the noise. Am i missing something?

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Guys i made a bacon portal gun and it won't let me shoot the portals? Left and right clicking just makes it make the noise. Am i missing something?
Ensure you're firing at a portal-able location. Maybe build a wall of cobblestone so you can test firing on a big flat space to make sure the portals work at all. If they don't, you probably have the fuel requirement turned on (uses ender pearl dust). I believe it's the very last option in the PortalGun config file.

Also, you really don't need to bump your question after only 4 hours.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019

Yeah, chalk that up to a typo of mine :oops:

I meant CRCS. And you can find out more on the IC2 forums, subsection nuclear engineering. Should have various threads on the subject.

The basic gist is that you use something like AE or equivalent to extract spent coolant cells from live reactors and insert them into other reactors which have no fuel rods, only cooling vents. These "cooling towers" regenerate the coolant cell, at which point it can be re-inserted into the live reactor. This is basically a "throw resources at it" solution for the inherent limitation of nuclear reactors, where heat output scales exponentially with efficiency but you only have a limited number of slots for cooling components. A CRCS system gives you a practically infinite number of component slots, meaning you can bring your main reactor to levels of performance close to the theoretical maximum.

It goes without saying that you don't use this kind of thing without temperature-controlled shutdown safeties courtesy of the Nuclear Control addon, and prior testing in a creative world.

Also, too bad you're still on 1.5.x, because nuclear power generation as a whole got significantly buffed in 1.6.x. Material costs for fuel rods have all but disappeared and the new advanced MOX fuel allows reactors to go up to 1500 EU/t on internal cooling alone - with efficiency 15.

WeaponMaster

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, chalk that up to a typo of mine :oops:

I meant CRCS. And you can find out more on the IC2 forums, subsection nuclear engineering. Should have various threads on the subject.

The basic gist is that you use something like AE or equivalent to extract spent coolant cells from live reactors and insert them into other reactors which have no fuel rods, only cooling vents. These "cooling towers" regenerate the coolant cell, at which point it can be re-inserted into the live reactor. This is basically a "throw resources at it" solution for the inherent limitation of nuclear reactors, where heat output scales exponentially with efficiency but you only have a limited number of slots for cooling components. A CRCS system gives you a practically infinite number of component slots, meaning you can bring your main reactor to levels of performance close to the theoretical maximum.

It goes without saying that you don't use this kind of thing without temperature-controlled shutdown safeties courtesy of the Nuclear Control addon, and prior testing in a creative world.

Also, too bad you're still on 1.5.x, because nuclear power generation as a whole got significantly buffed in 1.6.x. Material costs for fuel rods have all but disappeared and the new advanced MOX fuel allows reactors to go up to 1500 EU/t on internal cooling alone - with efficiency 15.
Well, this sounds like complete insanity and pretty much suicide. Perfect. Thanks a lot for telling me about this, so now I can keep a couple of boilers to power my petty EU and MJ requirements, and use CRCS for the heavy requirements. I would probably also need to get Uranium bees though.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Well, this sounds like complete insanity and pretty much suicide. Perfect. Thanks a lot for telling me about this, so now I can keep a couple of boilers to power my petty EU and MJ requirements, and use CRCS for the heavy requirements. I would probably also need to get Uranium bees though.
Although uranium lasts a long time, it's still a finite resource without bees.