Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
That's a good point, what happens if you convert 512 to 128 and the machine only needs 128 per tick. Every tick would it draw 512 from the MFSU for something only using 128?
No, it would draw 512 EU from the MFSU every 4 ticks, and every tick send 128 EU to the machine. This I am sure about (I have such setup). There is an internal buffer in transformers, I don't know how large it is, but it is at least as large as their input packet size.

This is my understanding of how they work: The transformer will first pull 512 EU from the input side and store it. if any machine connected to any of the output sides demands energy, it will send it from the internal buffer in 128 EU packets - but will happily send more packets at once for up to 512 EU/t. Once the internal buffer is empty, it will ask for another 512 EU from the input.

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
No, it would draw 512 EU from the MFSU every 4 ticks, and every tick send 128 EU to the machine. This I am sure about (I have such setup). There is an internal buffer in transformers, I don't know how large it is, but it is at least as large as their input packet size.

Okay so the excess EU would be stored in the transformer until needed?

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty much yes. I don't know how long "until needed" lasts if you completely disconnect the machine - but I would guess indefinitely. But as long as the machine is drawing a constant 128 EU/t, the transformer will only drain so much from the MFSU. No energy is wasted in this setup (excluding wire loss of course).

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
If you mean the sand tower on a piston glitch, no it still exists. However, it requires manual input. You can make infinite sand automatically with the mods we have using their mechanics, no need for glitches.

PCPuddin

Jul 29, 2019
If you mean the sand tower on a piston glitch, no it still exists. However, it requires manual input. You can make infinite sand automatically with the mods we have using their mechanics, no need for glitches.
i was aware of using a rock crusher/
macerator or pulvuriser but the sand tower used to work and now it doesn't also it required no eu or mj either

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
There's a post just a couple days old on the minecraft forums detailing how it still works. It requires you to manually time the piston. For the cost of automating it, and the negligible costs of macerating cobblestone, you're better off just using IC2 with TE providing the cobble.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Are people actually using the Factorization ore processing lines? As cool as some of the factorization stuff is, it seems like a ton of work, and you can get >200% ore return with a combination of Thaumcraft and Thermal Expansion anyways.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
Are people actually using the Factorization ore processing lines? As cool as some of the factorization stuff is, it seems like a ton of work, and you can get >200% ore return with a combination of Thaumcraft and Thermal Expansion anyways.

On my server, one person has set up a full golem-managed automated factorization ore processing system. Just input ore and watch the magic happen.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
On my server, one person has set up a full golem-managed automated factorization ore processing system. Just input ore and watch the magic happen.

I wonder if they find it worth it. I have never seen it in action so I don't know how efficient is is per unit time.

We just built a new base after sailing and marching for 2 full minecraft days and I'm trying to do our our processing "right" this time. I was about to start building the hybrid IF+Pulverizer setup I've been experimenting with in creative.

Chre903

Jul 29, 2019
I Found 2 Common Walnut Saplings in a Dungeon and was "able" to become a third Sapling with Treebreeding. But I need 4 Saplings to Grow that Tree. Is there a Way to get them to Grow or become more Saplings when a already have some? For my 2 Sequoia Saplings too!(I need 9 of them! :( )

And is there a List for Treebreeding or something?

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder if they find it worth it. I have never seen it in action so I don't know how efficient is is per unit time.

We just built a new base after sailing and marching for 2 full minecraft days and I'm trying to do our our processing "right" this time. I was about to start building the hybrid IF+Pulverizer setup I've been experimenting with in creative.
I don't think it's about the efficiency of the set-up for them, so much as using a mod that no one else does and dealing with the complexities of automating it. He doesn't mind the time delay. I'm not sure what it would take to have such a line operate on the scale of a full-speed quarry, but it would be a really interesting set-up to see.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
elsum.png
It's about efficiency, not about time needed. When you don't quary or use any automatic mining devices, you want to get the most out of your ores. There is no other method I am aware of that gives an (average) of 300% output with no outside inputs (rich slag). And I don't mind throwing ores in the machine and getting my ingots the next day, I always maintain a healthy storage.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
elsum.png
It's about efficiency, not about time needed. When you don't quary or use any automatic mining devices, you want to get the most out of your ores. There is no other method I am aware of that gives an (average) of 300% output with no outside inputs (rich slag). And I don't mind throwing ores in the machine and getting my ingots the next day, I always maintain a healthy storage.

In reading about this I realized I really don't understand routers, and I found a few threads on the subject that basically said, "Here are my 17 routers isn't it amazing what they do?

And it is, but I really don't understand how they work. Do you have a link to a comprehensive document or video on the subject? Because it seems to me from what I've seen is that even for simple ore processing systems, routers can make MUCH more compact sorting systems with equivalent functionality. And their resource requirements are actually only early-midgame as I read the recipe.

Perhaps this is not a simple question anymore, though. Sorry!

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
In reading about this I realized I really don't understand routers, and I found a few threads on the subject that basically said, "Here are my 17 routers isn't it amazing what they do?

And it is, but I really don't understand how they work. Do you have a link to a comprehensive document or video on the subject? Because it seems to me from what I've seen is that even for simple ore processing systems, routers can make MUCH more compact sorting systems with equivalent functionality. And their resource requirements are actually only early-midgame as I read the recipe.

Perhaps this is not a simple question anymore, though. Sorry!

Doing it with golems sounds almost tolerable, but considering there are other ways to get 3 bars from many ores using gregtech or thermal expansion I may not bother. I'd only be using it for tin and maybe silver.

I guess if you don't mind building a big solar array for the factorization power, then it would be a slower but more efficient way to process ore. I wish these machines could run on EU or MJ, I hate those silly mirrors. At the very least neptunepink should add a power source that can work in an underground bunker. Even RP2 has thermopiles or batteries that you could charge on the surface and enderchest into your bunker.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
elsum.png

Though you'll only get about 1 ingot per 7 minutes per crystallizer. (1/7 of an ingot/(minute-crystallizer).) Which, needless to say, is slow.

Is that an Arcane Furnace I see peeking through the Ender Chests and (managers?)

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Though you'll only get about 1 ingot per 7 minutes per crystallizer. (1/7 of an ingot/(minute-crystallizer).) Which, needless to say, is slow.

Is that an Arcane Furnace I see peeking through the Ender Chests and (managers?)
Each crystallizing process takes 20 minutes, and yields 5 * 1.5 = 7.5 ingots (at full load). This means on average 0.375 ingots per minute per crystalizer. There are 5 crystalizers per ore type (each of the six parts of the right machine processes one ore type), so again at full load 1.875 ingots per minute per metal, or 11.25 ingots per minute if processing all the different metals in parallel. That's 900 ingots of each type in 8 hours (overnight), or on average 300 blocks of each ore processed.

These numbers are a little bit theoretical though, as the left part - grinder, mixer, slag furnace work through the ores stack by stack. Therefore if you dump 3 stacks of every ore in the system, it will be processed type by type, and not entirely in parallel. This could be solved by replicating the left part six times too, but I didn't bother. As I said, I have plenty of time, so as long as everything processes in the end, it doesn't really matter. The crystallizers have to be replicated to ensure that I won't end up with one crystallizer trying to process two different metals at once. The easiest way to do this is to just have a set of crystallizers for every ore.

It's not an arcane furnace, just a netherbrick block (which used to be smooth slab in beta A, and got turned into netherbrick slabs in Mindcrack pack.)