Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
A quick reminder to the thread: this thread is "Ask a simple question, get a simple answer". Not "engage in ideological floundering that turns into personal insults".

Every time somebody opts to get hostile about it marks that much less enthusiasm the participants have towards being helpful to random strangers. If you do not like the advice proffered, the correct response is to simply not take it, not to start calling the person offering it "dumbass". Keeping that in mind in the future will lead to a long and healthy relationship.

Thanks. Questions and Answers resume now.

RedWeegee

Jul 29, 2019
It's been a while since I've played FTB. I see certain modpacks like Ultimate and dw20 have been locked, so what's the new "best" modpack now? I like having a lot of mods and magic/technology in particular.

Smiletactician

Jul 29, 2019
I dont care for rednet controllers but I find VERY simple lua in a computer can replicate anything that RP2 tings could do. Also, you said the only similarity between alloy wire and rednet cable is that it carries a signal. What more is there to them lol. Although they can be buggy.

hey,

i htink you maybe mixing my post with another on the thread. due to its complexity i feel its the closest to RP2 means of direct connection and control. obviously, rednet is far from simple but you work with LUA so in some way the complex's shouldn't escape you.i'm still pretty much awaiting someone to show a full use of the rednet system in some practical way. i just use it like alloy wire, currently looking at aspects of the logic. both directly and third party in order to control the way that machines function and/or relate what going on in the habitat while i run round.[DOUBLEPOST=1377484031][/DOUBLEPOST]
More than likely a bee-hive, you could have tried a scoop.

hopefully,

i'm going crazy thinking i could of found something very interesting. in fact i'll go have a look see.
in other news, major derp, i normally just spot these off the bet. probably to not really paying much attention to the nether until 1.5.2 (which makes nether crawling very fun).

actually thinking about it. hives aren't animated unless there are some you can't access via NEI.

SixOnTheBeach

Jul 29, 2019
Nuke his base with TNT? Have you tried a turtle?

Idk where his base is and i could try borrowing a turtle.[DOUBLEPOST=1377484283][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's been a while since I've played FTB. I see certain modpacks like Ultimate and dw20 have been locked, so what's the new "best" modpack now? I like having a lot of mods and magic/technology in particular.

Well personally I like the DW20 pack only because gregtech isnt in there.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
You're probably best off with either Unleashed or the new Direwolf20 then. Unhinged, the other currently-maintained FTB pack, was constructed under the direction of GregoriusT, so it's centered around GregTech and its (very difficult) idea of balance. There are also no magic-based mods aside from DimDoors and Mystcraft.

I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure that Unleashed has most, if not all, of the mods that Direwolf20 has, and then some.

SixOnTheBeach

Jul 29, 2019
You're probably best off with either Unleashed or the new Direwolf20 then. Unhinged, the other currently-maintained FTB pack, was constructed under the direction of GregoriusT, so it's centered around GregTech and its (very difficult) idea of balance. There are also no magic-based mods aside from DimDoors and Mystcraft.

I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure that Unleashed has most, if not all, of the mods that Direwolf20 has, and then some.

Yes it has more but it has mods like gregtech that arent the most fun to play with. Also, I have never played the unleashed pack. What do you mean its centered around gregtech?

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Yes it has more but it has mods like gregtech that arent the most fun to play with.

Dunno what "it" is referring to in that sentence, but the only 1.5 modpack with GregTech in it is Unhinged, which has significantly less mods than Unleashed or Direwolf20. Or are you talking about Ultimate, which is 1.4?

Also, I have never played the unleashed pack. What do you mean its centered around gregtech?

Unleashed does NOT have GregTech in it. The only current modpack with GregTech is Unhinged, which was designed with input from Greg in order to center around his idea of how he wants his mod to be played. It only includes mods that Greg felt play well with GregTech.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
And, no, I don't think Haste on anything other than boots does anything.

There is one exception to that - the Thaumostatic Harness, Thaumcraft's flight-providing chestpiece, increases flight speed via the Haste enchant (and in fact prioritizes Haste as its main result during enchanting).

Bedebao

Jul 29, 2019
I'm planning on installing Galacticraft
Do I need to know something about compatibility?Like,can I macerate titanium ore and blast it for 2 GT ingots?Can I use mystcraft to travel to already visited planets?Etc

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
Hi
How to use StevesCarts for Mining?

I will restart our server now and we want to get our resources without using the quarry. I would like to build a mining system using SC but i cant figure out a good way of doing this. Does anyone know a good way or link to a video where it is done right way? Right know it seem that it is to annoying (to much babysitting + high cost) to mine with SC.

Bedebao

Jul 29, 2019
Hi
How to use StevesCarts for Mining?

I will restart our server now and we want to get our resources without using the quarry. I would like to build a mining system using SC but i cant figure out a good way of doing this. Does anyone know a good way or link to a video where it is done right way? Right know it seem that it is to annoying (to much babysitting + high cost) to mine with SC.

I don't think there's a way to automate SC mining,but if you want a similar mining system,I would suggest a frame quarry(If you're playing in 1.5+ use redstone in motion for the frames)
A template frame is the best,you can have a custom pattern,the blocks act as if they were frames,and you can move everything with a single motor;add some transition planes(Applied energistics) to break blocks,an energy tesseract to power them(I think you'll need a ME controller) and an export bus leading into an item tesseract

Maybe you could use a quantum tunnel to send the items,but I'm not sure if it works with frames

And you can build it underground

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
It is in fact too annoying to mie with SC because you indeed sort of need to baby-sit the cart.

You basically end up with a LONG straight tunnel. In a while the tunnel length starts to become the limiting factor because the train has to move back to where your loader/unloader is every time it's storage is full (which doesn't take long) to empty it's storage and refuel.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Tinker's Construct related questions:

1.) Does the lava consumption of the smeltery scale in any way? Like, with the amount of items being smelted, or the amount of layers the smeltery has?

2.) Is aluminium ore biome-specific, or just insanely rare? (Like, rarer-than-diamond rare)

3.) How exactly does one make a good bow and arrows? What stats and material properties should I look for?

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
@Bedebao
I build frame Quarrys bevore but now i'd like to use SC.

@Hydra
That was my experience from testing too. I don't get it, it is really hard to get a good cart together, you need tons of resources. The drill wears out over time...
and then you have a powerfull cart that cant do anything good.
I thought maybe there is a (not overly complicated way like railcraft controlled tracks) to get the cart go down a track, every X blocks move out to the left and mine a tunnel for 50 blocks, than right 50 blocks.
So when done you have a cool looking mine with tracks and big tunnels that where dug out by the cart,...

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
@cynric
This looks nice and like the way i was thinking. I will give it a try.

@Omicron
2. As far as i know it is not biome specific. The 1.5 packs DW20 and Unleshed had a low ammount when the pack was relese with an updatet the spawn rate was buffed. If you play on thouse packs, update and mine in new generated chunks.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, redstone engines no longer work on anything except pipes and pumbs (AFAIK - there might be something else).
I recommend for first engine, either a clockwork engine (costs 5 gold, 2 redstone, 1 iron); gives free energy at decent output (I think 3mj/t at full effect? unsure) but have to be cranked manually - or a hobbyist' steam engine (costs 1.5 gold, 1 iron, 1 redstone); uses charcoal, outputs as 1.6 stirling engines and requires a bit of water, but can run for quite some time without you manually doing anything.
Those are both good as starter engines. Redstone engines you probably shouldn't even view as engines, but rather just item/liquid pushers.
I perfer the "Steam Engine" to the Sterling. The Sterling, unless it has recently been buffed, is much less efficient. Hobbyist trumps the Steam Engine only if you're going to process half a stack or more, otherwise the warmup time makes it less efficient.

Crackafett

Jul 29, 2019
I was watching a streamer awhile ago (I believe it was on an Ultimate server) and whenever he would drop/mine blocks they would immediately go into his inventory. There was no ~1 second wait. I was curious if this is a mod or if it is somewhere in the configs. I would like this feature with Unleashed. One more thing is there any way to increase the pickup radius?