Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Hello! Trying to buy a server so that my friends and I can play whenever we want while others may not be available/at home. I've read that some bigger FTB mod pack collections require at least 4gb of ram, does this hold true even if it's just going to be 1-8 players online at any given time, or can I afford to purchase a smaller server (say 1-3gb?) Thanks!

Bare minimum of 4 gigs if you want it to run relatively smoothly. As more and more chunks get explored and more and more information is being calculated per tick, that's still not going to be enough. (edit: maybe enough for an older pack)

I run a server of about 4 people. I can get away with 4G if we're playing Infinity (1.7.10) bt if we're running a large 1.10+ pack, we need 6 and only one person can explore at once without bogging everyone down.

Reactions: twilightdenka

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Twitch is a bunch of incompetent boobs, they screwed up the SevTech: Ages modpack completely in the latest pack update. The update deletes all 200+ mods and I'm left with about 8 mods in the mods folder now.

I sure hope the FTB team didn't move to Twitch, because if its you guys, you ought to be entirely embarassed. But if I recall, it IS the FTB team, and that's why I'll throw my thoughts against the wall on this forum, maybe it will serve as a kick in the pants for em.

For the last 3 days or so, if you choose the "Browse FTB Modpacks" tab on Twitch, it shows all the modpacks, it no longer shows just the FTB modpacks. It's a comedy of errors on Twitch, and it's been this way from the start. Not a fan obv. But since it's all we got... good luck to us. What a sh*t show.

Reactions: Golrith

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Twitch is a bunch of incompetent boobs, they screwed up the SevTech: Ages modpack completely in the latest pack update. The update deletes all 200+ mods and I'm left with about 8 mods in the mods folder now.

I sure hope the FTB team didn't move to Twitch, because if its you guys, you ought to be entirely embarassed. But if I recall, it IS the FTB team, and that's why I'll throw my thoughts against the wall on this forum, maybe it will serve as a kick in the pants for em.

For the last 3 days or so, if you choose the "Browse FTB Modpacks" tab on Twitch, it shows all the modpacks, it no longer shows just the FTB modpacks. It's a comedy of errors on Twitch, and it's been this way from the start. Not a fan obv. But since it's all we got... good luck to us. What a sh*t show.

1 - I don't see any question - just rambling

2 - How are you sure that this is a Twitch error?
It might as well be something with your computer/network/other applications that's messing with stuff for you.

3 - I did the update - no issues, I have no issues browsing - selecting FTB only shows me FTB packs

4 - If you're experience issues with the launcher itself - why not open a ticket with twitch and ask for support, or do a bug report?
whining and complaining doesn't help anyone - and all software have issues.

Reactions: Hambeau

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015

Yeah - not sure what you're seeing. Although I have to say, that massive banner in the 'Browse FTB Modpacks' tab is annoying. I did only see official FTB packs on that tab (in the tiny window below.) Went back to the All packs tab and decided to at least download SevTech (don't know when I'll have time to play, or if my potato can run it - it does look fun from the one LP I've watched), and it's currently installing 239 mods.

EDIT: If your computer has 'One Drive' (Windows 10 monstrosity), make sure that your Minecraft files haven't ended up there. This has caused some people problems with the Regrowth pack, and I imagine it could cause problems with other packs.

Last edited:

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Speaking of SevTech Ages... Has anyone started a thread with tips/tricks on this pack yet? Not finding anything :(

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Speaking of SevTech Ages... Has anyone started a thread with tips/tricks on this pack yet? Not finding anything :(

The one thing I can tell you from the LP I've watched: Read everything. The advancement tree thing gives you tips on how to do things. Also, the crafting stump has an orientation. Crafting 'upside down' won't work. And you do have to find villagers to trade with.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I got as far as making the Fire Pit in SevTech Ages, and instead of lighting the Fire Pit itself, my two Fire Sticks were lighting the grass block where I was standing instead. I tried it a couple of times and each time the game lit ME on fire instead of the Fire Pit.

So that's as far as I got in SevTech Ages before rage-quitting. I think I completed about four achievements before I ran into the typical stupidity and gave up. I still have no clue how to light that Fire Pit, nor do I really care anymore since Twitch totally F'ed up my modpack leaving me with a grand total of eight mods in the instance's mods folder.

But you're probably right - the problems I experience are due to me, not due to Twitch, or dumb mods and modpacks. I agree. I've lived long enough to know you're right. I'm such a klutz in life I have no idea how I'm even still alive and kicking. LOL Somehow I get by, but life sure is annoying and frustrating, always.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
1 - I don't see any question - just rambling

2 - How are you sure that this is a Twitch error?
It might as well be something with your computer/network/other applications that's messing with stuff for you.

3 - I did the update - no issues, I have no issues browsing - selecting FTB only shows me FTB packs

4 - If you're experience issues with the launcher itself - why not open a ticket with twitch and ask for support, or do a bug report?
whining and complaining doesn't help anyone - and all software have issues.

So basically your Twitch and my Twitch are like night and day. They're so different, it makes me wonder if we're even talking about the same software. I dunno. All I can do is open up the Twitch app and click thru the pages in it, and then tell you what I experience when doing so... exactly like you just did. The fact we can use the same app and have VERY different experiences, well that's pretty much precisely why I despise the Curse/Twitch crap entirely. It's junk software, total crap. My opinion obv. Glad yours differs. I just tried it again today, and the "Show all FTB modpacks" tab isn't working (it shows all the modpacks, it doesn't filter out all the non-FTB packs), and Sev-Tech ages still shows a grand total of eight mods when I clicks on the pack's "Installed Mods" tab in Twitch:

ChickenASM
Galacticraft-Planets
GalacticraftCore
ImmersiveEngineering
MicdoodleCore
Nutrition
SevTweaksNPC
TheBetweenlands

This is exactly the eight mods that are in my Instances folder for the modpack after I did the latest pack update thru the Twitch app. So where are all the rest of the mods?

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Oh one other thing, since I'm on a roll...

Continuum is gonna be a crap modpack, I read thru the tutorial for the "Efab" and all I did was cringe at it. Whatever direction Minecraft is going in, it's the wrong direction altogether. This "jump thru hoops" mechanic, or "color by numbers" is rubbish. Again, my opinion, glad if yours differs. I think I'll stick to 1.7.10 for the rest of my life.

Reactions: Everlasting2

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015

Continuum is gonna be a crap modpack, I read thru the tutorial for the "Efab" and all I did was cringe at it. Whatever direction Minecraft is going in, it's the wrong direction altogether. This "jump thru hoops" mechanic, or "color by numbers" is rubbish. Again, my opinion, glad if yours differs. I think I'll stick to 1.7.10 for the rest of my life.
I wouldn't tar all of Minecraft, or even modded Minecraft with that - Continuum is just the FTB Team's contribution to the modpack scene. There's plenty across all the versions to entertain. But your issue there is not even with the EFab mod, but how its been implemented in this specific pack! Be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015

unlocking the energy time gating (beyond 4 gearboxes) of the efab needs a t6 void miner , so to get rid of the time gate u need a time gate ? seriosly ? ( becuase the recipes for void miners are probably so nerfed its rarely worth it to make multiples)

ae is also locked behind energy flow circuits and an ocean monument , so unless logi pipes got updated does this mean there is no hive mind like autocrafting before endgame . inb4 there is no recipe for elityras used in opinium cores

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
unlocking the energy time gating (beyond 4 gearboxes) of the efab needs a t6 void miner , so to get rid of the time gate u need a time gate ? seriosly ? ( becuase the recipes for void miners are probably so nerfed its rarely worth it to make multiples)

ae is also locked behind energy flow circuits and an ocean monument , so unless logi pipes got updated does this mean there is no hive mind like autocrafting before endgame . inb4 there is no recipe for elityras used in opinium cores
I can’t speak for Elytras but the guide linked above specifically mentions needing to get lots of something to obtain the ProjectE energy condenser.
dragon eggs

It also mentions needing 1 GRF/t to craft, and a total of 60,000 GRF. Now, if that is indeed gigaRF, then you need to be supplying a billion (1,000,000,000) RF/t, and 60 trillion RF in total.

Last edited:

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
I can’t speak for Elytras but the guide linked above specifically mentions needing to get lots of something to obtain the ProjectE energy condenser.
dragon eggs

It also mentions needing 1 GRF/t to craft, and a total of 60,000 GRF. Now, if that is indeed gigaRF, then you need to be supplying a billion (1,000,000,000) RF/t, and 60 trillion RF in total.
That's stupid. 60 trillion RF and like 512 dragon eggs is ridiculous

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
dragon eggs

inb4 the mandatory method for the large # of the 1st thing is
using the draconic evolutions ender energy manipulator(with a tweaked recipe of course) ,why would they let it be as easy as dragon hearts would be.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
inb4 the mandatory method for the large # of the 1st thing is
using the draconic evolutions ender energy manipulator(with a tweaked recipe of course) ,why would they let it be as easy as dragon hearts would be.
Ooh I’ve never seen that! Neat :)

I just hope DE is in there, because storing and supplying that amount of RF could be an issue otherwise...

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
I got as far as making the Fire Pit in SevTech Ages, and instead of lighting the Fire Pit itself, my two Fire Sticks were lighting the grass block where I was standing instead. I tried it a couple of times and each time the game lit ME on fire instead of the Fire Pit.

This part of the tutorial appears to be very confusing. Fire Pit and the Fire Sticks have nothing to do with each other

The Fire Pit acts like a vanilla furnace, except it has no GUI. Just like most botania stuff, you place items in it by clicking on it with item in hand.
The Fire Pit accepts food items that can be cooked (there is room for one item) and fuel items.
In this age, that fuel would be sticks, and you can keep adding, the burn time stacks. (vanilla sticks, not Fire Sticks)
Just give the Fire Pit fuel and it will start cooking, just like a vanilla furnace would.

The Fire Sticks create fire in world, just like using flint and steel would.
They are needed for the next two items; The grill and the kiln.
Those need to have a fire below it to work, so you don't ignite the grill and kiln themselves, but the air block below.
The fire will go out, like fire in minecraft does, but you can just reignite until the work has been done.
Once you have a low-grade charcoal block, you can use that to place the fire on top of, it acts like netherrack.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
with astral sorcery is there any easier way to find a good area for the altar or is the fosic resonator the only way as im on a sky block so its a pain to expand the platform only to find high power spots?

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
with astral sorcery is there any easier way to find a good area for the altar or is the fosic resonator the only way as im on a sky block so its a pain to expand the platform only to find high power spots?
typicaly not really, the only alternatives are generally setting up super near a shrine crystal(the ones that generate in world big shrines) but since skyblock idk how u would do this (or start the mod without tweaked recipes). The other method was spamming Spectral Relays structures while taking care to avoid the cannibalization mechanic.

so your very short on options(higher y is always better but its limited by z and x coordinates) , don't forget builders wands exist they might help a bit

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
So basically your Twitch and my Twitch are like night and day. They're so different, it makes me wonder if we're even talking about the same software. I dunno.

This bit here just finished percolating through my brain. I know that you prefer to use other launchers, and it just occurred to me that your Twitch might in fact be different from the one that others are using. I know that it's updated at least twice for me since the last time you were active in this thread. If you go to the little three-bar icon just above the Twitch name in the upper left corner, and select 'File', and then 'About Twitch', what version number does it show?