Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Riddle78

Nov 28, 2016
i believe a typical cell(think arrangement of blocks/liquids) of Thermoelectric Generators commonly is. (key: h =hot . c= cold G= generator) , (- meaning nothing is needed here NOT this spot has to be empty so this spot could have a generator from another cell )
-h-
hGc
-c-
where u can swap the spots marked as hot with the spots marked as cold (because the hot part most be hozontially opposite from cold stuff ) Thermoelectric Generators can share a hot block and cold block with others but only via directly adjacent to it .
the uranium being used is a nicer heat source , lava also counts as a heat source but gives a weaker return then uranium
cold spots include ice and packed ice (packed ice being better because it does not melt from torches or light/heat in general and also gives a a slightly better yeild)
water works for a cold liquid for this generator but it is weaker then both types of ice
lastly u can stack Thermoelectric Generators vertically

So,if I stack them on top of eachother,will that allow me to stick a single wire connector on top of the stack,and export all of the power from the stack into my grid? Also,is Immersive Engineering power cross-compatible with other mods in the Direwolf20 pack? I want to use Actually Additions machines,and it'd be a great help if I could feed those with IE power.

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
Any tips/tricks anyone can share on how to capture a Ghast with low HP for the flying ring from Extra Utilities 2?

Buggers don't want to play nice :(

I did it by first getting glider wings on my dark armor, getting a teleport wand (staff of travelling would also work) and then (and this may be all you need if you get lucky) a potion arrow with a gravity effect (can't recall the name exactly) that brings the ghast to the ground for a few seconds.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Any tips/tricks anyone can share on how to capture a Ghast with low HP for the flying ring from Extra Utilities 2?

I did it with EIO dark armour as well but crafted with an IC2 electric jetpack to get hover mode. I first hit it with a shovel and tried the lasso but I still needed to get the hearts down so just punched it instead!

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
When you start the server, it shows its memory percentage on the left, right? So, try starting it with 2 GB allocated first, play-test and watch the memory consumption. If free memory is less than 25%, then increase it by gigabyte and repeat.

Thank you :)

Is that possible with a local-server on my own computer as well? (seeing the RAM-usage, or would that be bad cause the computer uses extra RAM and so the server shows wrong numbers)

Asking since the big concern about if I need extra RAM for such very little decoration-mods then I would just use vanilla itself. Pretty much a pricing-question for renting the server. (the reason why I try to know how much I need before paying too much or the price gets out of controll cause I need more RAM than planned ^^")

[edit 2]
More directly asked for testing issues:
- When I make myself a modpack with just the few things I want to use and just test out how much RAM I need to allocate for it to run smoothly: Is that a good way to find out how much RAM I need at least to let it run on a server?
Or are there too many issues cause being a server and being a player-played modpack is very different in memory-usage?

[edit]

Was it changed that you actually have to capture a living Ghast? O_O
Last time I saw someone use the crafting recipe - was still in 1.9 version Minecraft - it was one of these cursed lassos that gets a soul of a mob you killed. (so one that you couldn't release again)

Last edited:

Alexiy

Mar 3, 2014
Riga, Latvia
Thank you :)

Is that possible with a local-server on my own computer as well? (seeing the RAM-usage, or would that be bad cause the computer uses extra RAM and so the server shows wrong numbers)

Asking since the big concern about if I need extra RAM for such very little decoration-mods then I would just use vanilla itself. Pretty much a pricing-question for renting the server. (the reason why I try to know how much I need before paying too much or the price gets out of controll cause I need more RAM than planned ^^")

[edit 2]
More directly asked for testing issues:
- When I make myself a modpack with just the few things I want to use and just test out how much RAM I need to allocate for it to run smoothly: Is that a good way to find out how much RAM I need at least to let it run on a server?
Or are there too many issues cause being a server and being a player-played modpack is very different in memory-usage?
Yes, I meant testing on your PC first. Start the local server with desired mods, then start a client and play on this server for some time. If possible, ask someone to play on the server simultaneously. The RAM required does depend on what mods you want and number of players to serve. Observe the CPU and RAM usage in the Task manager or another similar program while running the server. If RAM usage goes above 75%, the PC definitely will require another memory stick. It would be helpful to know what CPU do you have, amount of RAM and what mods you would like to play.
Cheers

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I meant testing on your PC first. Start the local server with desired mods, then start a client and play on this server for some time. If possible, ask someone to play on the server simultaneously. The RAM required does depend on what mods you want and number of players to serve. Observe the CPU and RAM usage in the Task manager or another similar program while running the server. If RAM usage goes above 75%, the PC definitely will require another memory stick. It would be helpful to know what CPU do you have, amount of RAM and what mods you would like to play.
Cheers

Alright, guess will test it this way. Thank you :)

And my computer is a Intel i5-2500 (3.30GHz) with 8GB RAM. However I'm thinking about actually using one of these server-hosting websites for this lil server (we once used my computer as server but even with just 3 player it was pretty much at it's limit in vanilla).
Just with these hosting sites it's... well once you need a bit more RAM it gets expensive really fast. That's why I don't even think about trying to pay for a full fledged modded server, heh.

So far I probably wouldn't put in more than Chisel and Chisels&Bits. Meant to be very vanilla-like just with a few things that makes building alot nicer. (once you started using chisels&bits it's hard to not have it around, heh)

Thought about Railcraft, since I just love this mod. However railcraft is best when you have at least buildcraft with it (for actually useful uses of the tanks and having such automated rails) and that's already more than I want on it. So probably no railcraft in the end.

So my main-thought at the moment is really just: Vanilla + Chisel + Chisels&Bits (once they're on 1.11). So I guess I won't need the 4GB and more (I guess that's for really extremly modded server) but the thing is, would 1 or 2 GB be enough or does alone the fact it's not fully vanilla (with forge and everything) need it to be at least 3GB.

Might sound really weird and easilly answerable for most people here. But for me with my lil technical knowledge about such stuff and first time actually trying to use a real server, it's alot of confusing stuff. ^^"

V

Viperion

This may not be a simple question (and if it's not, I apologise and I think I'll just drop the subject)

If I was looking to get a particular kind of honeycomb (in this case cocoa combs) from a particular kind of bee (in this case, I'm told it is Valiant Bees), and I know nothing about the Bee (Forestry?) mod, what is the easiest way to get there, or what is a nice easy to follow video that will tell me? Is there an in-game manual? A good wiki site?

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
This may not be a simple question (and if it's not, I apologise and I think I'll just drop the subject)

If I was looking to get a particular kind of honeycomb (in this case cocoa combs) from a particular kind of bee (in this case, I'm told it is Valiant Bees), and I know nothing about the Bee (Forestry?) mod, what is the easiest way to get there, or what is a nice easy to follow video that will tell me? Is there an in-game manual? A good wiki site?

The FTB wiki is pretty good, as is asking here. Valiant Bees are somewhat annoying to get, as you can only find the drones living in other natural hives. To get a pure strain after that, you need to breed them with a Princess from another species - over and over and over again, until your Beealyzer tells you it's a pure strain, so you need to gather a bunch of them. (I highly recommend using a Pristine princess, since the Ignobles eventually die.)

V

Viperion

I know nothing about the Bee (Forestry?) mod
The FTB wiki is pretty good, as is asking here. Valiant Bees are somewhat annoying to get, as you can only find the drones living in other natural hives. To get a pure strain after that, you need to breed them with a Princess from another species - over and over and over again, until your Beealyzer tells you it's a pure strain, so you need to gather a bunch of them. (I highly recommend using a Pristine princess, since the Ignobles eventually die.)
I understood about.... 70% of that (Hence why I suspect this isn't a "simple" question). I may start my own thread on it and ping you, if I may?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013

The general goal of bee breeding is to get bees to mutate(by breeding a Princess of species A with Drone B) and then create a stable line(with the traits you want). You stabilize them by selectively breeding them until they have the same Traits on both sides(Use a Beealyzer).

Now Valiants are a bit different. They are Hive Bees(aka they drop from hives), but they don't have a hive of their own. Instead other hives will randomly drop Valiant drones once it a while(5% I think).
Now since you only ever get Valiant Drones and not princesses, you will need to create a princess. The original way of doing this is breed several of your target drones with some random princess until the princess becomes identical to the drones. This is also how you copy a new species. You take drones from the species you just bred and pair them with some other trash princesses(usually Rocky).
If you can get around 10-13 Valiant drones, it should be plenty to create a princess. If you don't have that many, you can use the few you have and then afterwards do selective breeding to get it stable.

Quick question regarding Computercrafts networking cable. Is there a way to extend the range over 256 cable pieces?
Wireless modems? (not actually used them before)

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
Now Valiants are a bit different. They are Hive Bees(aka they drop from hives), but they don't have a hive of their own. Instead other hives will randomly drop Valiant drones once it a while(5% I think).

Apparently this is not entirely correct, at least in the DW20 1.10.2 pack, JEI is showing that the Valiant Princess and Drone have a chance of dropping from hives in the following percentages -
Marshy 2.2/1.7 (princess/drone)
Wintry 1.9/1.7
Tropical 2.5/2.1
Meadows 2.2/1.9
Modest 2.1/1.9
Forest 2.1/1.8
Also worth looking at is that fortune changes the chance - but not always for the better - eg Princes/tropical hive/fortune 3 drops from 2.5 to 2.2.
I have only broken a few dozen hives and have 1 princess and 0 drones to date.

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
I understood about.... 70% of that (Hence why I suspect this isn't a "simple" question). I may start my own thread on it and ping you, if I may?

Update to the above. After searching the jungle and breaking about 20 tropical hives I found another Valiant princess, so I looked at the stats and saw that tropical has the largest difference between chance for a princess and a drone. Looking at those with the least I saw Modest and Wintry were .2 and as Wintry are the easiest to find (in open grass areas beside snow) I broke about 6 and was luck enough to get a Valiant drone.

Reactions: OniyaMCD

kris449

Jul 29, 2019
How do I set up a multifarm to harvest cocoa beans? Currently I have 2 pieces of jungle wood (on top of humus) with the beans growing on them and the farm is harvesting them but it puts them right back in the slot to replant and not the bottom slot for crops which I can pipe out of. Am I doing it wrong?

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
How do I set up a multifarm to harvest cocoa beans? Currently I have 2 pieces of jungle wood (on top of humus) with the beans growing on them and the farm is harvesting them but it puts them right back in the slot to replant and not the bottom slot for crops which I can pipe out of. Am I doing it wrong?

Not doing it wrong. When the harvestproduct is at the same time what the farm needs to replant (carrots and potatoes, too) it will first fill the seed-storage before it actually starts pushing them into output. So in these cases it's just waiting until it has a stack (or more, not sure if it tries to fill the entire seed-storage) as "backup for planting" before it starts giving your base the rest :)

Little tipp:
When you only have one plant type on it and want to have it only 1 stack as backup for planting, just place other seeds (not sure if you can put cobble in there) to block most seed-storage slots.

Reactions: Everlasting2

kris449

Jul 29, 2019
Not doing it wrong. When the harvestproduct is at the same time what the farm needs to replant (carrots and potatoes, too) it will first fill the seed-storage before it actually starts pushing them into output. So in these cases it's just waiting until it has a stack (or more, not sure if it tries to fill the entire seed-storage) as "backup for planting" before it starts giving your base the rest :)

Little tipp:
When you only have one plant type on it and want to have it only 1 stack as backup for planting, just place other seeds (not sure if you can put cobble in there) to block most seed-storage slots.

I tried that but it literally won't let me put anything else in those slots besides cocoa beans (and yes it filled a stack so far and started another). I'm also growing pumpkins on one side of the multifarm and agricraft seeds on an "orchard" setting on two other sides. I can't put trees, seeds, pumpkins, dirt, or any of the growing materials for the other sides in the slots, but the other plants are going straight through my pipes just fine, it's only the cocoa seeds that are staying in the system.

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
I tried that but it literally won't let me put anything else in those slots besides cocoa beans (and yes it filled a stack so far and started another). I'm also growing pumpkins on one side of the multifarm and agricraft seeds on an "orchard" setting on two other sides. I can't put trees, seeds, pumpkins, dirt, or any of the growing materials for the other sides in the slots, but the other plants are going straight through my pipes just fine, it's only the cocoa seeds that are staying in the system.

Could be that I remember wrong and it's controlled by what's on the circuit (so the only farm that actually needs seeds is cocoa-farm -> only cocoa beans are allowed in there).
In case of pumpkins and orchard: They both don't need new seeds (since they're manual farms and you have to plant them yourself) that's why you cannot put them in there I think. Shouldn't be a problem, since pumpkins you only plant once and the agricraft-crops never loose their seeds either.

That's the reason I'm a bit unsure about the mechanic, used the farm too often with agricraft lately. But I guess in this case it's really just waiting till the cocoa-beans filled the seed-storage, then it should start putting any new ones in the output-slot.