Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
I think the only method that makes sense to me is to install one mod at a time, and run Minecraft to see if there are any problems. But with the list of mods I have, well over 100 mods, that's gonna take quite some time to do - very tedious indeed. But if I just dump a ton of mods in and run Minecraft, the error list will be such a jumble I'll be lost.

Also, am I going to have to make a lot of changes to cofiguration files? How will I learn about what settings to change, just by trial and error and based on experience?

With a list that large, you might try breaking it into smaller chunks - like, say, groups of ten. If you've seen certain mods grouped in other packs, those would be good to add simultaneously. Add a group of ten. Check for errors. If errors, check the log files for obvious culprits, remove, and repeat.

As for configuration files, I've found those less intimidating than I expected in my own limited pack-creation. Pull them up in a simple text editor like Notepad and page through them.

E

eneKusho

Does anyone know if uranium veins from Immersive Engineering's Excavator are disabled in IE:E?

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I think the only method that makes sense to me is to install one mod at a time, and run Minecraft to see if there are any problems. But with the list of mods I have, well over 100 mods, that's gonna take quite some time to do - very tedious indeed. But if I just dump a ton of mods in and run Minecraft, the error list will be such a jumble I'll be lost.
If you get a crash I recommend to only look at the crash log rather then the regular log. This log only cares about what caused the game to crash and is thus a lot easier to work with then the normal log file. Also google is your friend :).
Also, a good alternative to installing 1 mod at a time is to go by type. For example, instead of installing cofhCore then thermal foundation then thermal expansion, etc,etc. Its reasonable to assume that those mod will work together by default and thus you can install those all at once. This can probably also be done with buildcraft, railcraft and forestry.

Also, am I going to have to make a lot of changes to cofiguration files? How will I learn about what settings to change, just by trial and error and based on experience?
This depends on what you want. I personally don't care about having multiple types of an ore generating in my world. If you however want only one you would need to go to the config files from every mod that generate these ores and disable them. I personally find that most config files make sense, having options like
generateCopper=true
and sometimes a line with an # above it explaining what this option does

C

cjp6050

Not sure if this is the right place for this question.

I have been playing feed the beast for quite some time but have never altered mod packs. What I'm looking to do is add modular powersuit to FTB Infinity Evolved. I know that its still only 1.6, would it work with the 1.7 pack?

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013

I have been playing feed the beast for quite some time but have never altered mod packs. What I'm looking to do is add modular powersuit to FTB Infinity Evolved. I know that its still only 1.6, would it work with the 1.7 pack?
if it is only for 1.6 then it will not run on 1.7.

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015

if it is only for 1.6 then it will not run on 1.7.
sorta miss information sorta true , ill explain for the data given lencas is right But there is a version of modular powersuits i remember there being a verision of it in dw20 1.7.10 pack at 1 pt or another

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015

Poked a little through the wiki (thanks to Everlasting's reference to Direwolf's pack) and found this for you: http://machinemuse.net/download.php

Reactions: Everlasting2
A

Alex Johnson

There's a private third party pack called Design Tech (code: designtech) made by Welsknight, and I want to be able to play it on a server with one of my friends, but there are no server files for it. Is there an easy way to add them to the FTB launcher so I can download them? Or is there an easy way for me to get them myself? I've always liked the FTB launcher because it's so easy to host a server for all the modpacks so my friends and I can play together, but I'm stumped as of what to do at this point. I've done multiple Google searches trying to figure this all out on my own, but so far, I've been unsuccessful. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

joshwoo70

Jul 29, 2019
There's a private third party pack called Design Tech (code: designtech) made by Welsknight, and I want to be able to play it on a server with one of my friends, but there are no server files for it. Is there an easy way to add them to the FTB launcher so I can download them? Or is there an easy way for me to get them myself? I've always liked the FTB launcher because it's so easy to host a server for all the modpacks so my friends and I can play together, but I'm stumped as of what to do at this point. I've done multiple Google searches trying to figure this all out on my own, but so far, I've been unsuccessful. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Hang on...
Are you supposed to release the pack code?
Edit: no unless you pack the server files for yourself.

Sent from a phone running tapatalk OS

A

Alex Johnson

No one said I couldn't, so I don't see why not lol.

Do you know how to pack the server files? Would you be willing to explain? I've only been trying to figure it out all day.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
No one said I couldn't, so I don't see why not lol.

Do you know how to pack the server files? Would you be willing to explain? I've only been trying to figure it out all day.
On a basic level, you can sort of follow this little guide:
https://technicpack.zendesk.com/hc/...-to-create-a-server-for-your-Platform-modpack
Its a guide for how to make servers for technic hosted packs, but it is the same thing.

However if the pack uses things like minetweaker scripts etc. then you need to make sure you copy those over as well.
And I know the guide states it, but it is really worth pointing it out: Make sure to remove ALL the client side only mods and APIs. Else it is very likely to crash/prevent the server from loading.

Last edited:

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

My goal here is to have a v1.7.10 modpack that I can run until the end of time, with no need to worry about any updates. It will be a truly standalone modded minecraft experience without any need for a secondary launcher such as FTB which will someday no longer operate, or such as Curse which is loaded down with all sorts of social crap I just do not want or need. I hope I can achieve my goals!

Try breaking it into smaller chunks, like 5 or 10 mods at a time. That's what I do, and if I have a failure I look for a clue as to which mod is having the issue so I may only have to remove 1 or 2 to continue.

Steady progress wins the race! :D

Reactions: OniyaMCD

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
This modpack stuff sure is easy. :) I've installed 120 mods into my modpack via MultiMC so far without a single problem (that I know of anyways). It's pretty much Infinity Evolved without any Expert tweaks, that's my mod list for the most part, except I've added Metallurgy and Spice of Life since "more ores please" and "we need a hunger mechanic that isn't trivial" are my two biggest complaints with just about every modpack I've played.

Couple of oddball questions:
1. Which mod starts you off with 16 apples in your inventory? I don't ever recall seeing that.
2. What is the best "flat bedrock" mod? Do I need a standalone mod for it, or can I make a config change and get flat bedrock thru one of the popular mods?
3. Is there anything you can think of that I'm gonna want to change in all these config files for all these mods? Are there any common config changes that EVERYBODY makes no matter what? (Edit: Multiple versions of the same ores, UGH)
4. Why isn't the Mekanism mod available in Curse?

Curse has been very helpful in terms of "dependencies". I created a test pack solely so I could add my desired mods to it, one mod at a time. Sometimes I get two or more mods when I add one mod, and that tells me which mods are dependent on which other mods.

So I'd say I've already achieved my goal of eliminating any "loader" middleman software such as Curse or FTB. And theoretically, I think I now have an entire package that can withstand time itself. No matter what happens to the mods, or the modded Minecraft game, I'll always be able to play my 1.7.10 mega modpack and work on my world without worrying about server resets or the server operator getting tired of the pack we've been playing and deleting it out of the blue... etc. Yay!

Last edited:

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
2. What is the best "flat bedrock" mod? Do I need a standalone mod for it, or can I make a config change and get flat bedrock thru one of the popular mods?

cofh core can flatten bedrock, it has a config for it in config/cofh/core/common.cfg. Under the "world {" section.

Piripács

Jul 29, 2019
Poked a little through the wiki (thanks to Everlasting's reference to Direwolf's pack) and found this for you: http://machinemuse.net/download.php

That Machinemouse.net site is almost totally dead! Link to older versions are broken, the website what is hosted those files, does not exist anymore.
Only the link to that cursed Curse site working. And OF COURSE, like most of the mods on that site, doesn't provide downloads to older versions...

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
cofh core can flatten bedrock, it has a config for it in config/cofh/core/common.cfg. Under the "world {" section.

Thanks, that's perfect. If I can do a config change in an existing mod, that's much better than installing another mod to do the same thing.

EDIT: I think I found gravestones in the OpenBlocks mod config and it would seem graves are the default setting if that mod is installed. (What about gravestones? What mod is used for those in all the FTB packs, and is it a config change or a separate .jar mod?)

Last edited:

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
What's the most efficient way to "unify" all the oregen? Is there any software that can do it for me?

Since I have Metallurgy in my modpack, I'd like every other mod to generate Metallurgy's version of the ore (if there is one). What's the easiest way to make that happen?

I think I'm beginning to realize it's the oregen which is the biggest headache when making your own modpack... is that correct? I could just leave it the way it is now, and the game would run just fine of course... except I will have different Copper Ore blocks from like 8 different mods. While that's an aesthetic thing, and while it wouldn't bother some players, it definitely bothers me a bit. If there's an ore in the ground, they should all say the same thing, and look the same way. But that's a lot easier said than done.

Last edited: