Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Folks, a guy on some reddit thread claims you can make "custom luck potions" with Witchery.

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/3msq2g/best_things_to_do_in_witchery_mod/cvhtyfs

I can't find anything in NEI to support this. Is this actually a thing?

edit: my leading theory is it has something to do with this:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dHx-lc8NfeJxX802P2yac3murtQaS_MaIpBx-fcDqkI/edit#gid=0

There's a clay->fortune thing in there. Can anyone confirm that this produces a potion that gives fortune that stacks on top of the fortune of my pickaxe?

Last edited:

artubi

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, i was wondering how to swap the items in my hotbar, i have seen etho do it in his LP, it seems like a useful feature. I am playing FTBIESB. Thanks :)

Unfortunately, I don't know what mod exactly Etho uses is but, there is Quick Hotbar that does the exact same thing.
There is one difference though, that whenever Etho swaps his hotbar, there is no popup of his inventory. With Quick Hotbar, every time you want to swap hotbar, it will show you a popup, a quick view of your inventory.
There is a video that show how Quick Hotbar works.

I think the person is asking about swapping the hotbar.
If so, it's a tinker's construct item ( can't remember the name of it, but it's the belt)
Pressing shift+b will swap out the bars
If I remember correctly, Tinkers Belt worked like this:
- put something into hotbar (Pickaxe for example)
- use the Tinkers Belt to swap inventory
- your hotbar should be empty (your hotbar swapped) but the rest of the inventory should remain unchanged
- again, put something different into hotbar (sword...)
- swap hotbar again
- you should see that your hotbar is swapped between the one with Pickaxe and one with Sword without changing the rest your inventory
(It seemed like Tinkers Belt created fifth row that was hidden and every time you swapped your hotbar, you swapped it with that hidden row)

Or atleast that's how I remember Tinkers Belt from 1.7.0. I never really used it because I found that Dual Hotbar mod worked better for me. It also does work with Quick Hotbar (albeit Dual Hotbar is a little bit buggy).
What Etho seems to be using is mod that moves his entire inventory up and down (like Quick Hotbar but without that popup).

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
I play the Modpack FTB Infinty Evolved 2.5.0 .
My Question:
Can i become a Werwolf without a full Coven? I tried to attract a Werwolf with a Sheep in front of the Wolfsaltar, but it did not work.. (at night under a full moon)
Was something wrong? Are there other ways?

The only other way to become a werewolf is being infected by another werewolf. This ability only becomes available when the other werewolf is level 10 though
rogue is incorrect and u are close to correct
heres an excert from the method u were trying to do
" BE WARNED that once you place a Wolftrap IT CANNOT BE MOVED so be very careful when placing it! The sheep on a lead is used to attract a Werewolf (wolfman form) which will only happen on the night of a full moon and only if there's plenty of dark areas for him to spawn (so remove nearby torches and do some Glintweed weeding =). You can see the moon phase at night by looking at it or alternatively, if you have the Artifacts mod installed (comes with Hubris modpack) it has a Lunar Phase Calendar which can be placed in an item frame for easy viewing (like in the screenshot--it's behind/above the altar). Eventually a Wolfman will come around... Make sure he gets stuck in the Wolftrap and then let him hit you a few times. Eventually you'll see a message, "Your sense of smell seems stronger." Congratulations on becoming a werewolf!" "

source: https://imgur.com/r/feedthebeast/RKpn4k7

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
rogue is incorrect and u are close to correct
heres an excert from the method u were trying to do
" BE WARNED that once you place a Wolftrap IT CANNOT BE MOVED so be very careful when placing it! The sheep on a lead is used to attract a Werewolf (wolfman form) which will only happen on the night of a full moon and only if there's plenty of dark areas for him to spawn (so remove nearby torches and do some Glintweed weeding =). You can see the moon phase at night by looking at it or alternatively, if you have the Artifacts mod installed (comes with Hubris modpack) it has a Lunar Phase Calendar which can be placed in an item frame for easy viewing (like in the screenshot--it's behind/above the altar). Eventually a Wolfman will come around... Make sure he gets stuck in the Wolftrap and then let him hit you a few times. Eventually you'll see a message, "Your sense of smell seems stronger." Congratulations on becoming a werewolf!" "

source: https://imgur.com/r/feedthebeast/RKpn4k7
well that's something i didn't know, but the only incorrect part is the words "only other".

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Folks, a guy on some reddit thread claims you can make "custom luck potions" with Witchery.

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/3msq2g/best_things_to_do_in_witchery_mod/cvhtyfs

I can't find anything in NEI to support this. Is this actually a thing?

edit: my leading theory is it has something to do with this:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dHx-lc8NfeJxX802P2yac3murtQaS_MaIpBx-fcDqkI/edit#gid=0

There's a clay->fortune thing in there. Can anyone confirm that this produces a potion that gives fortune that stacks on top of the fortune of my pickaxe?
They're wrong about strength but as far as I know that is how it works yeah, the strength is actually equal to level/2 of the effect, rounded up. So Luck III/IV should give +2 and Luck I/II should give +1. With Witching Gadgets and Chromaticraft helping you could hit Fortune 11 presuming the rings stack correctly with the potion.

Reactions: Pyure

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
They're wrong about strength but as far as I know that is how it works yeah, the strength is actually equal to level/2 of the effect, rounded up. So Luck III/IV should give +2 and Luck I/II should give +1. With Witching Gadgets and Chromaticraft helping you could hit Fortune 11 presuming the rings stack correctly with the potion.
Turn the Fortune up to 11. Heh.

Speaking of which, I remember seeing on a recent Direwolf video that some mod (Botania? Quark? Not sure) allows you to occasionally find enchanted books at one level higher than you're normally able to get. Would a Fortune 4 book from this mod, in combination with the other things you listed, allow for Fortune 12?

At least if the mods were all available on the same version of Minecraft, which they're not, because the mod I'm thinking of was almost certainly on 1.9.4, and Reika's still developing on 1.7.10 for the foreseeable future (so no Chromaticraft).

Reactions: MigukNamja

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of which, I remember seeing on a recent Direwolf video that some mod (Botania? Quark? Not sure) allows you to occasionally find enchanted books at one level higher than you're normally able to get. Would a Fortune 4 book from this mod, in combination with the other things you listed, allow for Fortune 12?
No, because Chromaticraft's contribution is letting you enchant up to Fortune V, it also allows Looting V, Sharpness and Power X and Respiration V. The full set is Fortune V from CC, Luck III for +2 from Witchery, and two rings of the covetous coin from Witching Gadgets for +2 each. As the Luck potion from Witchery doesn't buff Looting you'd be limited to only Looting 9 I believe.

I use the Fortune V + Luck III combo myself, no Thaumcraft/Witching Gadgets or I'd use that too, mainly for Chromaticraft cave crystals, just so, so many crystal shards are needed and no rotarycraft. The +2 Fortune does seem to help.

Reactions: MigukNamja
T

Taelothe

Not sure if this is a good location but I'm very casual when it comes to modpacks and play only singleplayer, as such IDK where to find versions and logs in order to create a tech support ticket.. Please let me know if I need to relocate this question.

Very Simple question. I am trying to get DireWolf20 for 1.7.1 running on my new laptop and im only getting about 30 FPS. This is my first gaming laptop, im usually a desktop player, so maybe its just inherent to this style of gaming.
My laptop is an HP Omen (not the newest model) with the following specs:
Intel i7-4710HQ at 2.5Ghz
16GB RAM
256GB SSD
GeForce 860m
Windows 10

Its plugged in and the power profile is set to performance on everything when plugged in.
I downloaded FTB Launcher on my desktop months ago but it downloaded curse launcher when I downloaded it today. I installed the DireWolf20 modpack and kept everything as in except for I removed BoP because I hate it. I remember playing infinity on my desktop and there being a suggestion to edit the options for journey map to improve performance so I did that here too but maybe I need to disable it entirely? I also have smooth lighting, particles, graphics etc all set to lowest and render distance at 10. Obviously going lower on render distance improves performance slightly but I did pay 1500$ for a laptop that can only render 6 chunks at a time...or so I hope.

So question is, am I running into a bug or config issue that is causing performance or is it my laptop is worse than I think it is, the modpack too large to handle what? If it is recommended that I get a smaller modpack then can someone suggest one to me? I am only familiar with Infinity and Tekkit+ or whatever (I enjoy AE2, Thermal Mods, TiCo, BuildCraft, jetpacks and mystcraft and haven't yet but want to try thaumcraft, reactors, bloodmagic and some other magic based ones)

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
@Taelothe
Modded MC is *very* CPU-intensive. Expect low FPS on modded minepacks, especially single-player since the same machine has to do both client and server. Here's my suggestions:

1. Make sure you're using latest Java 64-bit version. It should be at least Version 8, Update 91
2. If DW20 does not already include FastCraft, add it. It's a great mod for speeding up things
3. Use OptiFine and adjust settings in-game as necessary

With FastCraft and OptiFine and my laptop running client only w/server on a different machine, I get close 60 FPS on InfinityEvolved (similar 1.7.10 pack as DW20) with a laptop not as fast / good as yours.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Turn the Fortune up to 11. Heh.

aqSl7Dw5HTojK.gif

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
anyone know the rf/t usage of a lava fabricator? the 4 i have seem to destroy my power supply when there on

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Please, could you explain it?
Its only an issue with certain intel GPU's. I don't know which GPU's exactly but for some reason the drivers those GPU's need don't like java 1.8.60 and anything above that and will crash the game during startup.

Reactions: artubi

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
did my own test after i seen that its not 2k rf/t but 16k so it seem to take as much power as its internal buffer can hold now i know were my power was going when i had 4 running

In my experience, the Lava Fabricator running full tilt uses 4kRF/t. Your math would make sense if your testing included all four (4*4k=16k).

Do note that if done correctly, that investment can reap copious amounts of power.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Could anyone tell me why no Aluminium is spawning?
COFH TConstruct-ores file:
Code:
{
    "aluminum": {
        "template": "uniform",
        "block": {
            "name": "TConstruct:SearedBrick",
            "metadata": 5
        },
        "clusterSize": 4,
        "numClusters": 7,
        "minHeight": 44,
        "maxHeight": 62,
        "retrogen": "false",
        "biomeRestriction": "none",
        "biomes": [],
        "dimensionRestriction": "blacklist",
        "dimensions": [
        ]
    },
    "highaluminum": {
        },
        "minHeight": 104,
        "maxHeight": 262,
        ]
    },

}

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
In my experience, the Lava Fabricator running full tilt uses 4kRF/t. Your math would make sense if your testing included all four (4*4k=16k).

Do note that if done correctly, that investment can reap copious amounts of power.
one was tested put it next to a full vibrant cap bank and a empty tank cap bank was showing 16krf/t loss

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
Could anyone tell me why no Aluminium is spawning?
COFH TConstruct-ores file:
Code:
{
    "aluminum": {
        },
        "minHeight": 44,
        "maxHeight": 62,
        ]
    },
    "highaluminum": {
        },
        "minHeight": 104,
        "maxHeight": 262,
        ]
    },

}
There's a comma right there.

Edit: gah I can't turn things red in code. But the comma is here:
-blah code blah-
]
},

}
It's at the bottom btw.

Actually that may not be an issue if there's stuff below it, so ignore my post.

Now wait, why do the outermost set of braces exist? Doubt they need to.

Last edited: